Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

16 minutes ago, nname said:

September 2020 Service Change

For now, I will only post route changes only.  Seems like this had already posted before, but here are the schedule.

350 White Rock Centre/Crescent Beach
Split from 350, every 20min peak, 30min off-peak, 4am-3am

351 Bridgeport Stn/White Rock Centre
Shortened to White Rock Centre, AM peak service northbound reduce to every 10-12min (from 5-13min)

It means double decker will run 351 during this change~~

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zortan said:

4am - 3am is basically 24 hours, wow. I know I can probably find this somewhere, but what is the span of 351 service between White Rock and Bridgeport? I'm assuming something similar otherwise having such long-running 350 services wouldn't make too much sense imo.

First bus does not connect, but last bus does.

Weekday morning first EB 350 arrives 4:28am, first NB 351 leave 4:24am; second 350 arrives 4:58am, third 351 leaves 5:04am, so that one does connect.

Weekday late night second-last SB 351 arrives 1:47am, WB 350 leave 1:55am; last 351 arrives 2:42am, last 350 leaves 3:00am, so 12min wait

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 8010 said:

The new deckers aren't coming until 2021.

I think that would be partial double decker operation, because 620 doesn't need a lot of double decker in the weekdays (Except summer peak season)~~ 

At least for the AM/PM tripper should be fine~~

1 hour ago, Cathay 888 said:

I think that would be partial double decker operation, because 620 doesn't need a lot of double decker in the weekdays (Except summer peak season)~~ 

At least for the AM/PM tripper should be fine~~

Yes, only 2/3 of the current E500 fleet are out at during peak hour right now.

Or you can expect to see the remaining few on the all day runs. 

Perhaps hopefully the remaining 2 buses will be put in service by September

15 hours ago, 8010 said:

If I'm not mistaken the N10 and N15 are supposed to be getting their route changes in September as well, unless they delayed those changes.

From what I'm seeing it's the same, no change.

3 hours ago, Translink69 said:

Are they adding more trips?

Looking at the headway sheets there are 11 NB trips in the morning, the first being 4:12 and last 8:04

11 SB trips in the afternoon as well, first at 14:58 and last at 18:53

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Phillip said:

Looking at the headway sheets there are 11 NB trips in the morning, the first being 4:12 and last 8:04

11 SB trips in the afternoon as well, first at 14:58 and last at 18:53

That's a nice change! That allays most if not all my concerns about the 351 changes basically ?

18 hours ago, 8010 said:

If I'm not mistaken the N10 and N15 are supposed to be getting their route changes in September as well, unless they delayed those changes.

Translink did say early in the pandemic that all service expansion planned for the rest of 2020 was being deferred.  Plus, with YVR's current passenger loads the need for 24 hour service at the terminal is greatly reduced.

• Like 2

The 2020 Bus Priority Rapid Response Assessment has been released and includes some important changes to try and improve the bus system: 

https://www.translink.ca/-/media/Documents/about_translink/governance_and_board/council_minutes_and_reports/2020/july/Agenda--Mayors-Council--PUBLIC-MTG--July-30.pdf

EDIT: Specific examples as follows

Location considerations for quick implementation of tactical changes:

49th Ave, Main St to Boundary St (Vancouver)

Hastings Street, Burrard to Renfrew (Vancouver)1

Fraser Hwy, 96 Ave and 148 Ave (Surrey)

Edmonds St, Griffiths St to Canada Way (Burnaby)

Robson St, Thurlow to Burrard (Vancouver)

Main St, Broadway to 12th Ave (Vancouver)

East Broadway, east of Fraser to Commercial Drive (Vancouver)

Location considerations for quick implementation of bus stop balancing:

Route 2 (MacDonald / Downtown, Vancouver)

Route 8 (Fraser / Downtown, Vancouver)

Route 9 (Boundary / UBC, Vancouver)

Route 106 (New Westminster Station / Edmonds Station, New Westminster & Burnaby)

Edited by Orcair
Included examples from cited document
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Orcair said:

The 2020 Bus Priority Rapid Response Assessment has been released and includes some important changes to try and improve the bus system: 

https://www.translink.ca/-/media/Documents/about_translink/governance_and_board/council_minutes_and_reports/2020/july/Agenda--Mayors-Council--PUBLIC-MTG--July-30.pdf

EDIT: Specific examples as follows

Location considerations for quick implementation of tactical changes:

49th Ave, Main St to Boundary St (Vancouver)

Hastings Street, Burrard to Renfrew (Vancouver)1

Fraser Hwy, 96 Ave and 148 Ave (Surrey)

Edmonds St, Griffiths St to Canada Way (Burnaby)

Robson St, Thurlow to Burrard (Vancouver)

Main St, Broadway to 12th Ave (Vancouver)

East Broadway, east of Fraser to Commercial Drive (Vancouver)

Location considerations for quick implementation of bus stop balancing:

Route 2 (MacDonald / Downtown, Vancouver)

Route 8 (Fraser / Downtown, Vancouver)

Route 9 (Boundary / UBC, Vancouver)

Route 106 (New Westminster Station / Edmonds Station, New Westminster & Burnaby)

Thanks for posting this update.

I'm interested in the nature of the tactical changes being planned for Hastings and 49th. 

The report also mentions that bus lanes are not being planned for retail-adjacent lanes during the pandemic, presumably to help businesses. But that didn't seem to stop municipalities from converting retail-fronting parking to safe walking/biking space.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Large Cat said:

I'm interested in the nature of the tactical changes being planned for Hastings and 49th. 

The report also mentions that bus lanes are not being planned for retail-adjacent lanes during the pandemic, presumably to help businesses. But that didn't seem to stop municipalities from converting retail-fronting parking to safe walking/biking space.

I, too, am interested in what comes out of these tactical changes. It seems like funding has been made available but the report is pretty vague.

Good point re: land allocation during COVID by municipalities. Didn't think about that during my read through but serves as an important example to frame these changes against.

3 hours ago, Large Cat said:

Bus stop bulbs, extending the sidewalk at bus stops out so the bus doesn't have to pull in to the stop and merge its way back into the traffic.

22 minutes ago, 9924 said:

Bus stop bulbs, extending the sidewalk at bus stops out so the bus doesn't have to pull in to the stop and merge its way back into the traffic.

Those are great, if used properly.  Edmonton had some streetscaping along Jasper Avenue done in the 70's which provided bus bulges and bus bays.  Of course ETS had the bus stops placed in the BAYS so the buses would be 'out of the way' of the precious car traffic while loading at the stops.  This has all since been removed, but now they are 'streetscaping' Jasper Avenue again, reducing it to one lane in each direction and widening the sidewalks so they can add sidewalk patios and picnic tables etc.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, captaintrolley said:

Those are great, if used properly.  Edmonton had some streetscaping along Jasper Avenue done in the 70's which provided bus bulges and bus bays.  Of course ETS had the bus stops placed in the BAYS so the buses would be 'out of the way' of the precious car traffic while loading at the stops.  This has all since been removed, but now they are 'streetscaping' Jasper Avenue again, reducing it to one lane in each direction and widening the sidewalks so they can add sidewalk patios and picnic tables etc.

There's a few on Main Street for the #3.

14 hours ago, Large Cat said:

I’m absolutely livid at this point. On-street parking needs to be gone from 41st between Maple and Larch to have any hope of improving the 41st Ave. RapidBus — the street is too narrow, and every car parallel-parking on the south side causes cascading delays EB.

Also, what’s with the unwillingness to announce tactical changes in Burnaby? Is their city council stonewalling again? I thought we were done with this with Corrigan gone...

11 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Victoria still has a few bays but lots of our bays have been turns into parking and the stops moved onto the general street. I have a new appreciation of why bus bulbs are better than bays after today.

• Like 1