Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

2 hours ago, 8010 said:

That's true, but I was talking about after the Broadway extension begins operating. I don't really see them reducing much service on the 9 when it reverts back to trolleys as Broadway will still be very busy. I could be wrong though.

The 99 will be hit harder than the 9, most of the Broadway clientele get on/off between Cambie and Granville and the 9 will still service many of those stops in that area.

24 minutes ago, 9924 said:

The 99 will be hit harder than the 9, most of the Broadway clientele get on/off between Cambie and Granville and the 9 will still service many of those stops in that area.

Plus the 9 will be the main route along Broadway between Main Street and Commercial Drive, sure it's probably less ridership compared to the Granville - Cambie segment, but it's still a considerable shift since there will no longer be any express service along that segment of Broadway and not everyone will switch over to the Millennium Line.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Phillip said:

Just for everyone's info, the 351 is being split in September. 350 will run between Cresent beach and White Rock centre and 351 between Bridgeport stn and White Rock.  Both are RTC work.

At what point does it make sense either to merge the new #350 with the #352 or to give the #352 the same treatment, in order to provide all-day service to more of south Surrey?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phillip said:

Just for everyone's info, the 351 is being split in September. 350 will run between Cresent beach and White Rock centre and 351 between Bridgeport stn and White Rock.  Both are RTC work.

Just curious - will this mean that Crescent Beach will see a drop in frequency? It is a bit of a bother to me when bus routes are split and the number of necessary transfers for a single trip is increased instead of decreased. Anyone know the rationale behind this change?

5 minutes ago, InfiNorth said:

Just curious - will this mean that Crescent Beach will see a drop in frequency? It is a bit of a bother to me when bus routes are split and the number of necessary transfers for a single trip is increased instead of decreased. Anyone know the rationale behind this change?

Probably to reduce delays on the 351 and simplify the service so when you're at White Rock you can always just get on a specific route to get to either Bridgeport or Crescent Beach. From what I've heard the frequency will remain FTN on the 351 and the 350 will be every 30 or something. Not completely sure, though.

Last time I was at Broadway @ Cambie, the southbound wires on Cambie from Broadway to 12th have not been put up yet. This was on June 17th.

An Idea I saw was that since the 9 was going to be diesel anyways, the wires could be strung north/south without installing any switches to/from Broadway. I don't know how long that's going to take though, especially since the building under construction on the southwest corner is taking up a southbound lane on Cambie.

8 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

They are planning to put double deckers on the 351. It's not a wise use of resource to run empty deckers into Cresent Beach while the South Surrey to Bridgeport portion is very crowded. Another thing is to improve reliability, the train crossing at Cresent Beach messes the 351. I remember becoming 30 minutes late because of that train crossing and then your late for the rest of the trip.

The 350 is supposed to be the same frequency as the 351 Cresent Beach trips. Because the 350 is being operated by RTC is will be regular buses and not Community Shuttles.   

I'm not sure how late the 350 will run though, I know that the 351 terminates at 128 st and Cresent road after Midnight unless someone requests the driver to go down.. because of a certain person who keeps complaining of loud buses going through Cresent Beach...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

According to TransLink's 2019 TSR, frequency will be the same at peak but be halved off-peak

2019-Transit-Network-Review-Report.pdf?l

11 hours ago, Zortan said:

Probably to reduce delays on the 351 and simplify the service so when you're at White Rock you can always just get on a specific route to get to either Bridgeport or Crescent Beach. From what I've heard the frequency will remain FTN on the 351 and the 350 will be every 30 or something. Not completely sure, though.

Basically correct, but see above re: frequency.

3 hours ago, Phillip said:

They are planning to put double deckers on the 351. It's not a wise use of resource to run empty deckers into Cresent Beach while the South Surrey to Bridgeport portion is very crowded. Another thing is to improve reliability, the train crossing at Cresent Beach messes the 351. I remember becoming 30 minutes late because of that train crossing and then your late for the rest of the trip.

The 350 is supposed to be the same frequency as the 351 Cresent Beach trips. Because the 350 is being operated by RTC is will be regular buses and not Community Shuttles.   

I'm not sure how late the 350 will run though, I know that the 351 terminates at 128 st and Cresent road after Midnight unless someone requests the driver to go down.. because of a certain person who keeps complaining of loud buses going through Cresent Beach...

I've always thought running double deckers on the 351 seemed like a waste, since frequency could be increased (or forcing the buses to run closer to schedule), but I didn't think about the train. That's a really important point. 

Similarly, I get running 1x Enviro500 every 15 minutes is probably more cost-efficient than a LFS Suburban/Orion V every 7.5 minutes or something. It's just a shame they didn't put more effort into addressing service to the SS/WR area when shortening the 351. Also, glad that they saw the community feedback and will be running 40' on the 350 blocks. My concern was always more to do with the shuttle lift, so I imagine ARBOC shuttles could remedy this and maintain (I guess increase now) frequency to the area if the 40' are too much.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Express691 said:

Last time I was at Broadway @ Cambie, the southbound wires on Cambie from Broadway to 12th have not been put up yet. This was on June 17th.

An Idea I saw was that since the 9 was going to be diesel anyways, the wires could be strung north/south without installing any switches to/from Broadway. I don't know how long that's going to take though, especially since the building under construction on the southwest corner is taking up a southbound lane on Cambie.

There has been wire on Cambie from 12th to 10th for months now, tied off at 10 Ave.  It's only the one block from 10 to Broadway that needs to be done.  And it is likely that will just be N-S wire on Cambie; with the Broadway wire removed the tensioning of the special work would be screwed up.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Orcair said:

According to TransLink's 2019 TSR, frequency will be the same at peak but be halved off-peak

Isn't 351 service to Crescent already every 30 minutes? Last I checked every second trip terminated at WRC. If frequency on the 350 is indeed halved off peak then you have hourly service.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FlyingPig said:

Isn't 351 service to Crescent already every 30 minutes? Last I checked every second trip terminated at WRC. If frequency on the 350 is indeed halved off peak then you have hourly service.

That's only on weekends. On weekdays most runs go to Crescent Beach... (except between 10:30am and 2:30pm).

Of course, the only info I have on the changes is from the 2019 TSR -- no 350 timetable has been publicly released as far as I know.

1 hour ago, FlyingPig said:

That's correct, every second trip only goes to White Rock centre. 30 minutes between White Rock and Cresent Beach, except for peak hours which most buses go to Cresent Beach.

23 hours ago, Express691 said:

my documentation of trolleys on Broadway.

Didnt get to film at Alma because work started 2 days earlier than expected, and it was Friday when I was notified.

May I congratulate you on your video - it's one of the best, particularly because it includes so many street scenes. I suspect you did a lot of pre-planning of the shots that you wanted to take, so it turned out like a comprehensive record, not just a random assortment of snatches.

Just one point from the commentary. Trips from Broadway-Commercial Skytrain to Granville are mostly extra service  on the busiest central section of the route. The trolleybuses then did a round the block loop from Granville, W. 10th, Fir for layover and then back on to Broadway eastbound. Obviously the turn on to Granville is/was also used for trips going back to VTC but they are not the majority. 

Now if only Translink would retrofit some of the E40LFRs with modern Lithium Ion batteries, the 9 could still run as a trolleybuses using battery power over the middle section of the route.

• 3 weeks later...

September 2020 Service Change

For now, I will only post route changes only.  Seems like this had already posted before, but here are the schedule.

350 White Rock Centre/Crescent Beach
Split from 350, every 20min peak, 30min off-peak, 60min late night, 4am-3am

351 Bridgeport Stn/White Rock Centre
Shortened to White Rock Centre, AM peak service northbound reduce to every 10-12min (from 5-13min)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, nname said:

September 2020 Service Change

For now, I will only post route changes only.  Seems like this had already posted before, but here are the schedule.

350 White Rock Centre/Crescent Beach
Split from 350, every 20min peak, 30min off-peak, 4am-3am

351 Bridgeport Stn/White Rock Centre
Shortened to White Rock Centre, AM peak service northbound reduce to every 10-12min (from 5-13min)

4am - 3am is basically 24 hours, wow. I know I can probably find this somewhere, but what is the span of 351 service between White Rock and Bridgeport? I'm assuming something similar otherwise having such long-running 350 services wouldn't make too much sense imo.