Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

It looks like routes 251, 252, 262, 280, 281, and 282 have been taken off the list of suspended routes for mid-May.

Edit: Nevermind they were suspended today lol

Next round of mass service cuts, including the remaining 41 routes up for suspension, will be happening on May 18th.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

Just curious, will TransLink be releasing full network a map of what this will look like by the end of May when the service cuts are all in effect? If not I'm down for tackling that job.

Yes!

3 minutes ago, Phillip said:

Front door boarding and fare collection to resume on June 1st for both CMBC and BC transit. 

IMO - not a good idea. Political reasons aside, it's just not safe. The pandemic is still far from over, and it's not going to be all cleared up by June 1.

1 hour ago, Zortan said:

IMO - not a good idea. Political reasons aside, it's just not safe. The pandemic is still far from over, and it's not going to be all cleared up by June 1.

Everyone has an opinion on that. Some say it wasn't a good idea to waive fares and rear door boarding in the first place and others say otherwise. I think some people are become paranoid and anxious. 

I don't feel it was good to make buses free in the first place, lots of people are not grateful, almost like they take it for granted. Tim Hortons is not giving out free coffee, grocery stores are not giving out free food.

Anyways I'm not here to argue, if someone wants to disagree with me that's fine, it is what it is.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Phillip said:

Everyone has an opinion on that. Some say it wasn't a good idea to waive fares and rear door boarding in the first place and others say otherwise. I think some people are become paranoid and anxious. 

I don't feel it was good to make buses free in the first place, lots of people are not grateful, almost like they take it for granted. Tim Hortons is not giving out free coffee, grocery stores are not giving out free food.

Anyways I'm not here to argue, if someone wants to disagree with me that's fine, it is what it is.

My take on the whole situation:

I think removing bus fare collection was a terrible idea to begin with. I think when they reduce service on majority of the routes on the 18th they should really try to only have buses with the protective screens out (this is pretty much impossible with BTC routes that use 40-footers without transferring some units around) and only have cash-paying and people with disabilities use the front doors while everyone else who uses Compass Cards uses the rear doors (move some Compass validators around to ensure every bus has at least one at the rear doors, I doubt they're very hard to reprogram on a different vehicle). Obviously it would be just normal boarding procedures on Community Shuttles and Suburban models.

At least this way fare payment is being enforced while maintaining safety for the drivers the best way possible (in my opinion at least), and this could become a permanent solution to solve some speed and realiabilty issues busier routes face as some routes usually have very long lineups at busier stops (like Langara-49th Stn on the 49 and Metrototown Stn on the 130 and 222).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 8010 said:

My take on the whole situation:

I think removing bus fare collection was a terrible idea to begin with. I think when they reduce service on majority of the routes on the 18th they should really try to only have buses with the protective screens out (this is pretty much impossible with BTC routes that use 40-footers without transferring some units around) and only have cash-paying and people with disabilities use the front doors and have everyone else who uses Compass Cards use the rear doors (move some Compass validators around to ensure every bus has at least one at the rear doors, I doubt they're very hard to reprogram on a different vehicle). Obviously it would be just normal biarding procedures on Community Shuttles and Suburban models.

At least this way fare payment is being enforced while maintaining safety for the drivers the best way possible (in my opinion at least), and this could become a permanent solution to solve some speed and realiabilty issues busier routes face as some routes usually have very long lineups at busier stops (Langara-49th Stn on the 49 for example).

Funny you say that, you probably know but the Orions and Community shuttles have temporary barriers and as I was parking an Articulated bus in the yard this morning I caught a glimpse of a Nova (9500 series) with a temporary barrier too. ?

As long as there's some kind of barrier or protection device for the operators that should be sufficient enough. Lots of stores and restaurants have something similar at the counters.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Phillip said:

Funny you say that, you probably know but the Orions and Community shuttles have temporary barriers and as I was parking an Articulated bus in the yard this morning I caught a glimpse of a Nova (9500 series) with a temporary barrier too. ?

As long as there's some kind of barrier or protection device for the operators that should be sufficient enough. Lots of stores and restaurants have something similar at the counters.

I didn't know the Orions had temporary barriers but I knew about the ones on the shuttles. I'm kinda surprised they put a temporary barrier on a 9500 series Nova.

One more thing I want to point out is that I see people practicing physical distancing out in public but yet they fight to get on the bus, and on the bus they sit or stand close to one another defying the practices. I take the Canada line home after work and I see people literally sitting beside each other. 

I had to ask people to leave because the bus got full and a response I got by a man one morning was "f*** off" 

Also I had two girls come on the bus at Metrotown and they stood at the joint in the middle despite being lots of empty seats, I went on the PA and said "standing is not permitted at this time", they disregarded my message and still stood together. After I turned the corner onto Imperial st from Central Blvd I went on the PA again and said "you two girls standing in the middle, you need to respect the rules, please sit down, standing up is not permitted at this time". They sat down very reluctantly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 8010 said:

I didn't know the Orions had temporary barriers but I knew about the ones on the shuttles. I'm kinda surprised they put a temporary barrier on a 9500 series Nova.

Afaik, they are placing Plexiglass barriers on the older buses like the ones you would find at grocery store's. Simply screwed on with a hinge to open and close it.

So 65 runs cancelled outright, everything else pretty much on Saturday/Sunday schedules, restricted seating to remain in place at least into June, stores and businesses opening up by June.  Good luck ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 9924 said:

So 65 runs cancelled outright, everything else pretty much on Saturday/Sunday schedules, restricted seating to remain in place at least into June, stores and businesses opening up by June.  Good luck ?

4 routes have weekday schedules fully reinstated: 175, 311, 418, 388

27 minutes ago, Express691 said:

4 routes have weekday schedules fully reinstated: 175, 311, 418, 388

A few routes out of how many going to Saturday/Sunday schedules?

Thats why I said pretty much everything else ?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, rickie22 said:

Can someone explain the rationale for trolley routes to be running on a Sunday schedule everyday?

Most trolley routes are so frequent that there is little difference in frequency between weekday and Saturday schedules, other than early in the morning, so you need to go to Sunday schedule to get any savings.

18 minutes ago, Michael Marriott said:

Most trolley routes are so frequent that there is little difference in frequency between weekday and Saturday schedules, other than early in the morning, so you need to go to Sunday schedule to get any savings.

Doesn't this alienate the rider base that is still commuting, based on the shorter service duration (particularly morning)?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, InfiNorth said:

Doesn't this alienate the rider base that is still commuting, based on the shorter service duration (particularly morning)?

Looking at the list changes, many routes, such as the 4, 7, 10, 23 and others, have noted that they will still start service at regular weekday times, even if they are running on Saturday/Sunday schedules.    

• Like 1

We understand these suspensions will have an impact on customers, but they are a necessary measure to maintain service on critical corridors.“

This is an incomplete sentence, the missing part being, “because senior levels of government refuse to provide replacement funding until September.” But I suppose TransLink can’t say that part out loud. In the meantime, I’m now having to leave for work an extra two hours early in case I get caught in line-ups.

• Like 2

And word is another round of cuts coming sometime in June (further reducing the FTN and nightbus network). Additionally, there is a resounding fear that a lot of service will be permanently cut unless Translink gets significant funding (hearing 2 bil to make up for the losses and anticipated losses).

I would strongly urge you all to write to the MLA/MP in your riding. Get family and friends to as well. Transit should be an essential service.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1