Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

In its latest effort to promote physical distancing, Translink will be blocking off some bus seats to keep passengers apart. The change comes into effect next week. TransLink says about half the seats on its buses will have signs on them asking people to leave them vacant. If a bus reaches capacity based on that new guideline, it will not make any further stops. Passengers will have to wait for the next Bus.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dover5949 said:

In its latest effort to promote physical distancing, Translink will be blocking off some bus seats to keep passengers apart. The change comes into effect next week. TransLink says about half the seats on its buses will have signs on them asking people to leave them vacant. If a bus reaches capacity based on that new guideline, it will not make any further stops. Passengers will have to wait for the next Bus.

Here's the signs that'll be showing up on Monday. Passengers will be asked to avoid standing on the bus.

translink-covid19-bus-seat-closure.jpg

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/wentworth-lands-west-vancouver-gondola

An interesting concept. It would address some of the north-south connection issues brought up back in the North Shore Area Transport Plan.

43 minutes ago, 8010 said:

Does anyone know why the 9 to UBC is a peak-only seasonal service but the 14 goes to UBC all day, everyday? I always thought it should be the other way around considering the 9 covers all of Broadway with the 99.

No point in having identical service leaving UBC with the 9 and 14.  Most passengers taking Broadway past Granville take the 99 anyway and those who need to get off at stops where the 99 doesn't stop or go past Commercial can transfer to the 9.  Having the 14 run out of UBC offers passengers a different route option that goes into downtown and along Hastings.

• Like 3

More temporary reduced service levels taking effect on Monday due to low ridership due to the Covid-19 Pandemic. Overall ridership is down 83%, Bus boarding's down 82%, Seabus is down 90% & WCE is down 95%

*Bus Routes will be reduced with routes experiencing low ridership

*Seabus will operate every 30 mins

*WCE cancelling the 655am out of Mission/530pm From Waterfront

*The proposed July fare increase has been postponed until further notice

*TransLink's revenue has dropped drastically due to rear boarding's as well as a drop in the fuel tax revenue of 60% due to less people driving

55 minutes ago, ygk said:

TransLink included the 0 prefix in the title. Also refers to Metrotown Stn as simply ‘Metrotown’. Let’s see what the bus destination signs will look like ?

They say Metrotown Stn

Metrotown Station Bus Bay Changes:

Bay 4: 130, 222

Bay 7: 31

Bay 8: 146, 147

Phibbs Exchange Bus Bay Changes:

Bay 1: 214 (EB)

Bay 2: R2

Bay 3: 245

Bay 4: 209/210 (SB), 211 (WB)

Bay 5: 28

Bay 6: 211 (EB)

Bay 7: 212

Bay 8: 232

Bay 9: 209/210 (NB), 214 (WB)

Bay 10: 130

Bay 11: 222

Bay 12: 215, 227

Pardon my ignorance on this - but why all the canceled trips? Are they because of COVID or some other issue? And if they're because of COVID - why? I thought Translink was going to maintain the current schedule.

26 minutes ago, Zortan said:

Pardon my ignorance on this - but why all the canceled trips? Are they because of COVID or some other issue? And if they're because of COVID - why? I thought Translink was going to maintain the current schedule.

Low ridership due to the pandemic. Runs that have low ridership are being cut to save money. Revenue has dropped dangerously low due to the free transit being offered. Diesel buses burn a lot of fuel, so if they cancel the runs they can save that money.  As awesome as keeping all the buses out and running is in regards to social distancing and all that, buses don’t run for free and money doesn’t grow on trees. 

Some runs are probably being cancelled due to drivers calling in sick as well and they may have to put spare drivers on a run that has higher ridership.

Personally, I think this is a good strategy instead of going to Saturday or Sunday service as they can adapt the schedule day to day as they need too. 

• Like 3

So the 240 now goes to Lynn Valley - saw it today when I was out for a walk. Also, the destination sign on the return trip now says Downtown rather than Vancouver. I know the 246 has been doing this for a while - has it happened to the other North Van buses as well?

4635585A-41ED-4107-BE04-48FE0B3CE552.jpeg

1 minute ago, Zortan said:

So the 240 now goes to Lynn Valley - saw it today when I was out for a walk. Also, the destination sign on the return trip now says Downtown rather than Vancouver. I know the 246 has been doing this for a while - has it happened to the other North Van buses as well?

4635585A-41ED-4107-BE04-48FE0B3CE552.jpeg

Yes, all the routes either say "Downtown" or Burrard Station, excluding West Van buses