Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

3 hours ago, nname said:

Some update on the Pitt Meadows Maple Ridge ATP.

Seems like the 701/749 change, 744 detour removal are shelved..? Also the 719/722 proposal is revised for an opportunity for another route split?

atp1.png

atp2.png

atp3.png

atp4.png

Is there a map of the entire proposed network like past ATPs? Also, I've noticed that there's no proposed frequencies on the service improvement table.

Some info on the future of Route 23:

• Additional seasonal service is being kept permanently starting this year

• TransLink is currently working with CoV to explore ways to get 40-foot buses on the route, which includes moving the turn-around near Denman @ Davie, removing some parking spaces, and possibly some required road upgrades

• Like 2

On 7/4/2019 at 11:41 AM, nname said:

Now I'm wondering, had TransLink mentioned they are officially getting rid of the B-Line branding, or it is still speculation right now? Does the new articulated buses that are currently wrapped actually contain the "RapidBus" branding underneath?

From the schedule TransLink is playing with this time (SignId 156), it seems like they are going for RapidBus..

R01 Guildford Exchange / Newton Exchange
R02 Phibbs Exchage / Park Royal
R03 Haney Place / Coquitlam Station
R04 Joyce Station / UBC
R05 SFU / Burrard Station

Found an image of a mockup RapidBus bus stop sign on Reddit. Looks like the 41st Ave B-Line will indeed be called R4.

57 minutes ago, Dane said:

Wait so the 99 isn't RapidBus? So will a future fleet of conventional livery 60 footers be maintained? And it'll be just an Express? Which is different from RapidBus, how? 

There are conventional livery 60 footers anyway, for the 44, 49, 257, future 503, current 620.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dane said:

Wait so the 99 isn't RapidBus? So will a future fleet of conventional livery 60 footers be maintained? And it'll be just an Express? Which is different from RapidBus, how? 

I think the main reason is similar to the cancelled Fraser Highway B-Line, TransLink doesn't want to waste money on RapidBus infrastructure on the 99 if half of the route is being replaced in a few years with the Millennium Line. Once it's shortened to Arbutus Station it could become RapidBus, but if they proceed with the UBC Extension a few years after Broadway then it most likely will not become RapidBus.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2019 at 2:37 PM, Community Shuttle said:

Not sure if this belongs here or not, but TransLink is introducing yet another new livery for the Bowen Island on-demand service

Screenshot_20190708-142915_Instagram.jpg

For those who are interested, the route number for the on-demand service is P80 and route name is "Bowen Island".

There were 2 other P-series numbers used in the recent time.  P25 was the route number for overflow shuttle stationed at Coquitlam Station.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 8010 said:

I think the main reason is similar to the cancelled Fraser Highway B-Line, TransLink doesn't want to waste money on RapidBus infrastructure on the 99 if half of the route is being replaced in a few years with the Millennium Line. Once it's shortened to Arbutus Station it could become RapidBus, but if they proceed with the UBC Extension a few years after Broadway then it most likely will not become RapidBus.

I'll be waiting for an R9 UBC / Downtown via Broadway and Burrard, to replace the 44.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, 8010 said:

This makes sense only administratively... (As an aside thanks for the explanation). For a bunch of people in an office that makes some sense. 

The traveling public will view some differentiation in services, but not much. Bus go fast. Bus go slow. 

This will create essentially five levels of bus service in Vancouver. It's pretty easy to get behind express vs not express, but express plus RapidBus dilutes brand, significantly.

The 99 goes fast. The 99 will have RapidBus buses, no doubt. Make it RapidBus. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Dane said:

This makes sense only administratively... (As an aside thanks for the explanation). For a bunch of people in an office that makes some sense. 

The traveling public will view some differentiation in services, but not much. Bus go fast. Bus go slow. 

This will create essentially five levels of bus service in Vancouver. It's pretty easy to get behind express vs not express, but express plus RapidBus dilutes brand, significantly.

I agree.

26 minutes ago, Dane said:

Great points outlined there.

I think that, from an administrative point of view, perhaps it might not make the most sense to spend money for infrastructure on a corridor that will only be used for a couple more years (although delays will probably take the skytrain launch to 2024/25.

Also, the 99 should and will run at service levels of up to 3 min headways. With this type of waiting time, I doubt it will be a priority to get all that bus stop infrastructure up - wait times will be so short that there will be no need for "shelters" and "next bus displays". Besides, who sits in the shelter anyways when everyone else is competing for a spot in the lineup?

We should further note that Express Bus has been used by Translink as a regional commuter bus brand. Any "real" express bus, like the 99, should be given special RapidBus priorities, brandings and other small touches that differentiate this product, if not a full suite of route infrastructure.

2 hours ago, FlyingPig said:

We should further note that Express Bus has been used by Translink as a regional commuter bus brand. Any "real" express bus, like the 99, should be given special RapidBus priorities, brandings and other small touches that differentiate this product, if not a full suite of route infrastructure.

They should've given ExpressBus a different name like CommuterBus or something.

Just now, neopasturquoise said:

It makes me wonder why the future R4 goes to UBC Exchange while the 41 goes to Joyce Station.

Just a mockup, nothing special. Route number may not be finalized, notice how the pole says Victoria Dr, and the stop number is for SB Wesbrook Mall @ Agronomy Rd.

• Like 3

If the 99 is still going to be a B-Line and the rest being RapidBus the 2007 D60LFR's should be sent back to Burnaby for the 99 due to the fact that they are Branded B-Line since delivery as well was a few D60LF's branded B-Line too. I'm pretty sure the RapidBus buses strictly on Rapidbus routes will not happen after the first week or so. As history tells it the a regular number of 1998 D60LF's appeared on the 135 in the late 90's as a regular appearance and the regular painted D60's appeared on the 99 mostly on weekdays. Richmond did a better job with the 98's I will say. Of course I 'm not talking about the rare occasion of breakdowns where any bus is better than no bus but rather an everyday thing. An common day example now is XN40's on the 555 while Orion 5's on loco routes every day in the PM for the last month or so up till this week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, BC Ferries said:

If the 99 is still going to be a B-Line and the rest being RapidBus the 2007 D60LFR's should be sent back to Burnaby for the 99 due to the fact that they are Branded B-Line since delivery as well was a few D60LF's branded B-Line too. I'm pretty sure the RapidBus buses strictly on Rapidbus routes will not happen after the first week or so. As history tells it the a regular number of 1998 D60LF's appeared on the 135 in the late 90's as a regular appearance and the regular painted D60's appeared on the 99 mostly on weekdays. Richmond did a better job with the 98's I will say. Of course I 'm not talking about the rare occasion of breakdowns where any bus is better than no bus but rather an everyday thing. An common day example now is XN40's on the 555 while Orion 5's on loco routes every day in the PM for the last month or so up till this week.

8102-8104 do not have the B-Line branding since they were in West Van up until late-August last year.

1 hour ago, BC Ferries said:

I guess we'll need to "Wrapidbus" every artic unit then to make sure this never happens

3 minutes ago, Express691 said:

Articulated buses what?

Operate exlusively on the b-line/rapid bus routes

On 7/15/2019 at 6:46 PM, BC Ferries said:

The D60LFRs should be staying in Poco; it seems they've not had good succession with hybrids (not talking CNGs). That's also why they've gotten a lot of D60LFs back. Perhaps they should get some XN60s or something