Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

12 hours ago, Ninja Bus Fan said:

With the 301 being transferred out to Richmond and the 503 becoming an artic express route, what will happen to the STC Orions ? 

AFAIK service between Surrey Central and Langley Centre will be served by artics, nothing is mentioned for service to Aldergrove, my assumption is that Orions will still be used for the Surrey Central/Aldergrove trips as it is still technically a suburban service.

12 hours ago, nname said:

No stop change

No 503 stop added for 164th Street?

14 minutes ago, 8010 said:

AFAIK service between Surrey Central and Langley Centre will be served by artics, nothing is mentioned for service to Aldergrove, my assumption is that Orions will still be used for the Surrey Central/Aldergrove trips as it is still technically a suburban service.

I'm not sure if it's worth having such a small fleet of Orion's when the 503 gets its upgrade. 

Another question I got would be where would the extra artics come from since Richmond is currently getting the remaining 15000's from Burnaby. 

7 minutes ago, Ninja Bus Fan said:

I'm not sure if it's worth having such a small fleet of Orion's when the 503 gets its upgrade. 

Another question I got would be where would the extra artics come from since Richmond is currently getting the remaining 15000's from Burnaby. 

I guess with the 502 decrease they could probably put XN40s on the route.

Probably some DE60LFRs from Burnaby when more 2019 units enter service.

37 minutes ago, Ninja Bus Fan said:

That's temporary, as far as I know. 

Last I heard, 12000s to HTC, along with 15014-15021 to STC, then send the Hybrid 8100s to RTC. Ideally 8118-8125 would go to PCT to replace remaining D60LF but that's just me.

PCT likely got a capacity expansion after reconfiguration and re-paving this summer, so that's why they can take in more artics.

Anything further than this goes into garage transfer discussion, I guess

20 hours ago, nname said:

No change for that so far.  Last trip departs 12:00am for the 257 and 12:10am for the 250.

20 hours ago, dover5949 said:

Not sure why the last 250 of the evening can't be timed to meet the last sailing when the current schedule has it leaving 10 mins prior to the last sailing arriving??

There shouldn't be any change, since on September 3 the BC Ferries schedule changes, and will see the last ferry leaving Departure Bay at 10:10, arriving at Horseshoe Bay at 11:50.

As for delaying the last 250 of the night, that's not really an option.  Since it leaves at 12:10, you'd have to delay it at least 20 minutes for a ferry arriving at 12:20 (giving enough time for docking, deboarding).  This would have cascading effects down the route, since that 250 trip would now miss the last 239 at Park Royal (and before anyone asks, no you could no delay the 239 to still meet the 250 since that would screw up the connection with the last Seabus and other bus routes at Lonsdale/Phibbs) and miss the last trains leaving Downtown.  If there was sufficient demand you could add a later departure, but that would require a critical mass of people on that last ferry to be justified.   

7 hours ago, 8010 said:

I highly doubt Orions will be used on any 503 trips with the new setup.  The character of the 503 is fundamentally changing, as it will be a pseudo B-Line service through Surrey with ons and offs at all its stops.  Trying to use Orions on that kind of service would no work out well.  The fact that trips to Aldergrove will be longer is irrelevant, the operating characteristics of Surrey to Langley will require artics no matter the final destination.  Also, there will not be separate buses doing the Aldergrove trips, whatever buses arrives at Surrey Central will depart on the next trip no matter the final destination.  For example, the 9 doesn't have seperate blocks for trips to Commercial-Broadway or Boundary, buses arriving at Alma depart on the next trip to either destination no matter where their previous trip started.

18 hours ago, Express691 said:

RTC needs 49 buses for 601 linegroup, 9 buses for the 301, 3 more for the 555, and another 5 for the 620, totalling 67 buses. 

More work has to be done in order to prevent standard buses from appearing on the suburban routes (RTC will probably keep between 3 and 5 spares in the yard). E.g. reducing 351 service (reduce frequency or cut the route at White rock centre) and removing the 601 from the list of suburban routes. Reducing 311 and 602 to every 30 minutes might also help.

Or, just use regular buses on a handful of peak hour trippers.  Proposing service cuts just because there aren't enough of the "right" type of bus to run the service is ridiculous.  

• Like 2

The 340 moving to HTC is likely the reason they are able to have earlier starts EB.

HTC will be getting 18000's and/or 19000's as the 43 will be converted to RapidBus in January.  Confirmed by service design when I spoke to them when they were at BTC on a road show.  Any depot that will service RapidBus routes will have the 18000's and/or 19000's for the service along with regular artics for any other artic routes they serve.  I have no confirmation on this, but they may send all 12000's to BTC and bring the 8100 hybrids to RTC.  I spoke to the Bookout guy at BTC a while ago and he was trying to get that done because it just make sense for the routes.

For the 503, there are two groups of blocks for the 503 linegroup.  Lower block numbers will be 40 footers going to Aldergrove and higher block numbers will be artics for the trips to Langley.  Source is the block reports I have for the September sheet.  So if you get a 40 footer, it's going to Aldergrove and if your on an artic then it's only going to Langley at least that's the plan.

14 minutes ago, Brando737 said:

For the 503, there are two groups of blocks for the 503 linegroup.  Lower block numbers will be 40 footers going to Aldergrove and higher block numbers will be artics for the trips to Langley.  Source is the block reports I have for the September sheet.  So if you get a 40 footer, it's going to Aldergrove and if your on an artic then it's only going to Langley at least that's the plan.

It almost looks like the 503 is 2 different routes based on the difference of equipment (but that's just me).

23 minutes ago, Brando737 said:

From the schedule, the headway seems to be uniform between the Aldergrove and Langley trips.  Wouldn't that makes the Aldergrove bus much more crowded? Smaller buses plus more people to begin with...

5 minutes ago, Express691 said:

It almost looks like the 503 is 2 different routes based on the difference of equipment (but that's just me).

Maybe TransLink will eventually split it before the western half gets retired by Langley SkyTrain ?

=============

Unrelated, seems like TransLink is playing with yet another numbering scheme for the B-Line Rapid Bus.  This time, they also renumber the 96 into the new Rapid Bus scheme...

I almost want to make a poll with all the different numbering schemes they came up with so far ?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, nname said:

From the schedule, the headway seems to be uniform between the Aldergrove and Langley trips.  Wouldn't that makes the Aldergrove bus much more crowded? Smaller buses plus more people to begin with... 

I'm looking at the relationship of 41/43. Will the 502/503 at least depart near each other at Surrey Central? Certain riders won't care which bus shows up first, if they can use either route to get to their destination. Those needing a shorter ride are more likely to use the local service if that pulls in first.

Personally, I will still use the 502 EB just for the stop at 159th (160th is too far).

Perhaps maybe the same reason the 43 is able to get away with standard bus to begin with...

TLDR: I don't see that being an issue.

Now I'm wondering, had TransLink mentioned they are officially getting rid of the B-Line branding, or it is still speculation right now? Does the new articulated buses that are currently wrapped actually contain the "RapidBus" branding underneath?

From the schedule TransLink is playing with this time (SignId 156), it seems like they are going for RapidBus..

R01 Guildford Exchange / Newton Exchange
R02 Phibbs Exchage / Park Royal
R03 Haney Place / Coquitlam Station
R04 Joyce Station / UBC
R05 SFU / Burrard Station

Of course, the next sheet (January 2020) is probably still 2 months away, and this is at least the 4th scheme they came up with, but so far the most complete one.

9 minutes ago, nname said:

Now I'm wondering, had TransLink mentioned they are officially getting rid of the B-Line branding, or it is still speculation right now? Does the new articulated buses that are currently wrapped actually contain the "RapidBus" branding underneath?

Yes. The branding is under some tape/covering, which then the wrap is applied on top of.

Watch the reaction that will happen when the 99 B-Line is still retained until after launch of the rapidbus. 

I wonder if the 99 will just drop the B-Line altogether. 99 UBC Express

44 minutes ago, nname said:

From the schedule TransLink is playing with this time (SignId 156), it seems like they are going for RapidBus..

R01 Guildford Exchange / Newton Exchange
R02 Phibbs Exchage / Park Royal
R03 Haney Place / Coquitlam Station
R04 Joyce Station / UBC
R05 SFU / Burrard Station

Of course, the next sheet (January 2020) is probably still 2 months away, and this is at least the 4th scheme they came up with, but so far the most complete one.

44235895480_3c9cfc1d60_k.jpgRAPIDBUS/1 by Jeff Yu, on Flickr

With the tape off

44235897060_1b4ad7ccf4_k.jpgRAPIDBUS/2 by Jeff Yu, on Flickr

With the tape on

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, briguychau said:

Is it confirmed that the 99 is not getting the new branding?

The fact that the route is not receiving any new infrastructure like the 3 new B-Lines as well as the 95 and 96 seems to be a strong indication it won't be. The RapidBus XDE60s will most likely appear on the route post-RapidBus launch but it probably won't be identified as RapidBus/B-Line anymore.

22nd Street Station and UBC Exchange Bay changes effective July 8th:

22nd Street Station:

Bay 1: 418

Bay 2: Spare

Bay 3: 104

Bay 4: 410

Bay 5: 101

Bay 6: 100

Bay 7: 128, 155

Bay 8: 340, 388

UBC Exchange:

Bay 1: 33, 68, 70

Bay 2: 84 (No Change)

Bay 3: 44

Bay 4: 43 (No Change)

Bay 5: 41, 480

Bay 6: 49

Bay 7: 99

New Bay 8: 25

IMO they should've left the 68/70 at Bay 13. Also, what the hell are they trying to do with the 480?

17 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

Not sure if this belongs here or not, but TransLink is introducing yet another new livery for the Bowen Island on-demand service

Screenshot_20190708-142915_Instagram.jpg

Two shuttles, unnumbered. They look similar to the wrap back in 2013/14 when Travelsmart was a thing.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_Windows Phone_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_image.png

20 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

Not sure if this belongs here or not, but TransLink is introducing yet another new livery for the Bowen Island on-demand service

Consistency is definitely non-existent when it comes to TransLink's liveries.

• Like 1