Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

1 hour ago, Express691 said:

...which is strange because these Fraser Highway improvements are still on track for a September 2019 rollout unlike the B-Line it was intended to be

Translink seems to be holding off on the B-Line launch until all the improved infrastructure (bus lanes and improved stops) is in place.  Since the Fraser Highway service is no longer a B-Line/Rapidbus it can be launched earlier.  Notably, the improved 503 will have lower frequency and longer running time than the proposed B-Line.

On May 26, 2019 at 7:06 PM, 99.bline said:

Why do you want such a negative thread? "General Bus Hate Comments" if people hated buses I don't think they'd be on this forum looool 

Good point!

On May 26, 2019 at 7:05 PM, Express691 said:

Half the board was instantly annoyed the moment it was asked, so please stop.

Go rant in this thread, and keep it there.

That may not be helpful for me until I ride a bus that's actually crappy.

BY THE WAY... I think the touchscreen Kiosks are up at Surrey Central's newer enterance!

On 5/26/2019 at 7:10 PM, Express691 said:

Before this thread goes down any further: I saw this at Surrey central: Hints of ground queues for the 96 NB.

20190526_144732.thumb.jpg.6fcd8d97ed1fc60cfafab624a60e5b66.jpg

=======

A detour today for the 96 had northbound trips loading inside the loop. I wonder if this is related.

Quote from TransLink's B-Line program page: "TransLink’s three new B-Lines will launch in January 2020, bringing new, rapid-bus service to eight cities across the region. We will share the exact launch date once it’s confirmed, so customers can start planning for shorter bus trips and faster commutes."

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 2:05 PM, Express691 said:

Reports now say that the 179 to Buntzen Lake is now a standard bus. A sign at Coquitlam Station has the details.

That doesn't make much sense since the 179 experienced no overcrowding last year according to the TSPR.

1 hour ago, 8010 said:

That doesn't make much sense since the 179 experienced no overcrowding last year according to the TSPR.

I beg to differ. I experienced over crowding. There are typically 30+ people trying to get on a community shuttle at any given point. Went up there last year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Peterbiltguy1989@gmail.com said:

I beg to differ. I experienced over crowding. There are typically 30+ people trying to get on a community shuttle at any given point. Went up there last year.

I had the same experience. On a sunny day, both the 179 and 182 are overcrowded east of stop 58900 (East Rd @ Sunnyside Rd), and this was 2 years ago...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Express691 said:

20190623_014933.thumb.jpg.c458f22c85b4245e2b409ef3b0daa9b9.jpg

I think PCT has been reconfigured to standard track configuration. 

(Context: Might be related to future RBus extension)

This had been reported in the June AGM report. The official reason was that PoCo was the only CMBC depot left that was using a "non-standard" parking configuration. Surrey used to use this same method but switched away from it sometime between 2007 and 2008. Only West Vancouver is left.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Evan Hancock said:

I'm surprised they haven't downsized the 253 and 254 to shuttles

I could be wrong but I don't think West Van has enough shuttles to make it happen, IMO they should've been downgraded to shuttles back in 2014 with 251 and 252.

1 hour ago, 8010 said:

Late-night SkyTrain is supposedly "unfeasible" so TransLink wants to implement NightBus Express.

Why do people think that BCRTC is blowing smoke up you-know-where when they talk about the need for an overnight maintenance window?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GORDOOM said:

Why do people think that BCRTC is blowing smoke up you-know-where when they talk about the need for an overnight maintenance window?

I wasn't complaining, I just didn't look too much into it until now. My problem with the proposed express network is that it looks like the 6 proposed routes are only stopping at select stations and not all of them, unless the map is just highlighting the busiest stations and those 6 routes will actually stop at all 53 stations plus Lonsdale Quay.

1 hour ago, 8010 said:

I wasn't complaining, I just didn't look too much into it until now. My problem with the proposed express network is that it looks like the 6 proposed routes are only stopping at select stations and not all of them, unless the map is just highlighting the busiest stations and those 6 routes will actually stop at all 53 stations plus Lonsdale Quay.

I think they wanted to highlight the major nodes that the NightBus Express will stop at... The actual report suggests that it will stop at every SkyTrain / SeaBus staiton.

The report also suggests expanding regular NightBus along both existing and proposed B-Line / RapidBus corridors. Let's hope that is implemented, too.

For the NightBus Express, I stronly think that they should pair it with improved / enclosed bus shelters that match what is commonly found at a SkyTrain station. For example:

• Some seating
  • Tons of lighting
  • An array of security cameras
  • An emergency telephone in case someone needs help

One final note... and this is more of a regional planning exercise... Does it make continued sense for Vancouver to have all the night-life? I can sense TransLink having major doubts about the cost-effectiveness of buses returning to Downtown empty...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cathay 888 said:

https://www.translink.ca/-/media/Documents/plans_and_projects/area_transit_plans/southwest_area/final_plan/Southwest_Area_Transport_Plan-April_2018.pdf?la=en&hash=04319B97530D199F23910175E30999BD29091BA1

The new C for Scott Road to Tsawwassen Ferry, I think Translink could resume 640 back to Tsawwassen Ferry would be make more sense~~

I believe the desire is to provide a direct express so that riders from South of Fraser heading to the ferry don't have to endure a slow ride on the 640 stopping locally and looping through the Tilbury Industrial.