Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

On 4/25/2019 at 8:58 PM, Express691 said:

301 added service on Sunday, every 30 minutes until around noontime, effective may 5

... and I just waited 45min for the 301 last Sunday...

September sheet is now in database, no change made yet. It will run from Sept 2 to Nov 24 this year.

20 minutes ago, nname said:

... and I just waited 45min for the 301 last Sunday...

September sheet is now in database, no change made yet. It will run from Sept 2 to Nov 24 this year.

Forgive me for going off-topic, but just a question I have: how do you have access to this stuff? 

When the new B-Line on 41st begins, the original proposal was to run the remaining all-stops 41 with trolleybuses. This will apparently be postponed until the 9 is dieselised for the subway construction in 2020. What I don't understand is the implied shortage of trolleybuses. A couple of years back, Translink was criticised by auditors for having too many spare trolleybuses. So how is it that there are no spares available (say 10?) to run the reduced 15 min service on 41 to Crown?

Has increased service requirements on existing routes absorbed the surplus that the auditors were criticising?

4 hours ago, martin607 said:

When the new B-Line on 41st begins, the original proposal was to run the remaining all-stops 41 with trolleybuses. This will apparently be postponed until the 9 is dieselised for the subway construction in 2020. What I don't understand is the implied shortage of trolleybuses. A couple of years back, Translink was criticised by auditors for having too many spare trolleybuses. So how is it that there are no spares available (say 10?) to run the reduced 15 min service on 41 to Crown?

Has increased service requirements on existing routes absorbed the surplus that the auditors were criticising?

When exactly was this audit made? We can probably narrow that down.

The most significant trolley increase I remember is when the 3/8 went into full artic operation in September 2013.

7 hours ago, Express691 said:

When exactly was this audit made? We can probably narrow that down.

The most significant trolley increase I remember is when the 3/8 went into full artic operation in September 2013.

At the time of the audit, the alleged "problem" was a surplus of standard 12 m trolleybuses, as I understand it. Don't forget the 10 was also transferred to artic operation too.

In a discussion during the last year, people on here were criticising the high number of spare trolleybuses. That's why I'm surprised that there aren't enough spares to run a 15 minute service on the shortened version of the 41.

19 hours ago, briguychau said:

Hmmmmm maybe new B Lines start Nov 25.......

If any of the new B-Line's don't start on September 2nd, they won't enter into service until the December or January sheet.  That is unless they have a separate signup for a special sheet from November to the December sheet, but I doubt it unless they really want to.  They definitely will not put the current routes they are replacing on the spareboard from September to November, not enough manpower.

However, regardless of when the new B-Line's come into service, any route transfers needed for said B-Line's will likely be done for the September sheet.  Also, the 18000's and 19000's will be sent to the depots running these new B-Line's so the rumours of HTC, assuming the 43/41st B-Line will go to HTC, getting the DE60LFR's are false.  

5 minutes ago, Brando737 said:

If any of the new B-Line's don't start on September 2nd, they won't enter into service until the December or January sheet.  That is unless they have a separate signup for a special sheet from November to the December sheet, but I doubt it unless they really want to.  They definitely will not put the current routes they are replacing on the spareboard from September to November, not enough manpower.

However, regardless of when the new B-Line's come into service, any route transfers needed for said B-Line's will likely be done for the September sheet.  Also, the 18000's and 19000's will be sent to the depots running these new B-Line's so the rumours of HTC, assuming the 43/41st B-Line will go to HTC, getting the DE60LFR's are false.  

I was under the assumption that there aren't enough of the 18000/19000 XDE60s to operate every single current + planned B Line route. By my count, during peak hours, the 95/99 together need around 55 buses, the 96 needs around 10, the 43 currently operates with 17 (but with the 41st B Line being more frequent, the number will increase to at least 25). When you add the Lougheed and North Shore new B Lines (each operating with around 10 buses at peak, given announced planned travel times and frequencies), that number will be just about 110, which leaves 0 spares. Unless some existing B Line routes are not getting the new branding and livery, that points to a high chance of existing buses being repainted or wrapped into the green livery, so if my numbers are correct I would not discount the possibility of DE60LFRs (in green) at HTC.

As for the November start date for the B Lines, that was announced as a possibility in March, during either the board meeting or the mayor's council meeting. I know that Daily Hive is not the best source, but here is a link: https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/translink-b-line-launch-delays-2020

6 hours ago, Brando737 said:

If they want to start the North Shore B-Line in November, it probably wouldn't be so hard, compared to the Lougheed B-Line? Well, they are still playing with the route numbers with the B-Lines and other new routes and had not commit anything on to September sheet yet.  The latest (third? fourth?) set of number they used are 94 for North Shore, 97 for Lougheed, and 245 for Cap U shuttle... not sure if I want to agree on those numbers...

The only thing that seems to be somewhat committed for September is the 246 split (into 246 Highland/Vancouver and 249 Lonsdale Quay/Delbrook). But of course, they can still revert it like the 222 a few sheets back, or the 107 a couple years ago...

On 5/1/2019 at 10:26 PM, SkyTrain said:

Forgive me for going off-topic, but just a question I have: how do you have access to this stuff? 

The old method was posted here before, and soon after that TransLink fixed it. The new method is similar but less straightforward. I'm not sure if I want to posts and let them fix it again...

7 hours ago, nname said:

The only thing that seems to be somewhat committed for September is the 246 split (into 246 Highland/Vancouver and 249 Lonsdale Quay/Delbrook).

I mean... just update the destination signs to Vancouver via Highland and Lonsdale Quay via Highland and the problem is solved, but alright.

7 hours ago, nname said:

The old method was posted here before, and soon after that TransLink fixed it. The new method is similar but less straightforward. I'm not sure if I want to posts and let them fix it again...

Is there a link to the old method post? (When was this posted so I can find it?)

8 hours ago, nname said:

The only thing that seems to be somewhat committed for September is the 246 split (into 246 Highland/Vancouver and 249 Lonsdale Quay/Delbrook). But of course, they can still revert it like the 222 a few sheets back, or the 107 a couple years ago...

Is this a repeat of the 129/133 split? 

And don't get me started on why the 15 and 50 are still separate…

Nice find there, @Express691. It would make going to Harrison Hot Springs a lot more convenient :P

(No joke, I've done such a run a number of times now...)

Something that I've wondered about is the fact that Abbotsford doesn't have any commuter service to Lougheed Station... I mean, the FVX doesn't quite compare to being one given the premium fare and lack of transfers to the local system. I guess the low demand on the 22 Aldergrove Connector doesn't justify it...? Not to mention it might make them look more like a suburban agency ripe for amalgamation...

• Haha 1