Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

3 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

Thoughts?

The elephant is still in the room. And by “elephant”, I’m referring to the c******f*** caused by on-street parking on 41st between Larch and West Blvd. and how it reduces 41st EB to one badly-congested lane. AIUI there are no changes being contemplated in this regard, and until you fix that the 41st Ave. B-Line will still have severe problems.

6 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

Thoughts?

There's no silver bullet with this area. With your solution, I'm immediately worried that you're taking eastbound left-turning cars that would be avoiding the greenway altogether and causing them to cross it twice, plus the new 40th cut-through. Would certainly take away some of the novelty of the greenway having so few road crossings, and it makes it more difficult to implement light rail in the future. I do definitely agree that the single receiving lane for westbound traffic could be a choke point, though. I expect the traffic modeling folks have their reasons for prioritizing the EBL lane.

Also, north is to the left :)

1 hour ago, Pepper said:

There's no silver bullet with this area. With your solution, I'm immediately worried that you're taking eastbound left-turning cars that would be avoiding the greenway altogether and causing them to cross it twice, plus the new 40th cut-through. Would certainly take away some of the novelty of the greenway having so few road crossings, and it makes it more difficult to implement light rail in the future. I do definitely agree that the single receiving lane for westbound traffic could be a choke point, though. I expect the traffic modeling folks have their reasons for prioritizing the EBL lane.

Also, north is to the left :)

Thank you for correcting me there regarding the orientation.

I think one conversation that should happen concurrently is what to do with East Blvd in general on the north side of West 41st Ave. Part of me feels like they could make a bigger park or greenway in that area by removing East Blvd altogether; however, I imagine residents will still want road access to the local ice rink and nearby businesses. This was part of the inspiration behind the dedicated B-Line bay - it retains road access to the local arena / and businesses; both it and the westbound RapidBus bay can be controlled by a single set of lights; and those lights could also be synchronized with the main intersection if desired.

Another alternative to the jughandle idea would be to simply restrict left turns onto West Blvd northbound during weekday hours... Given the number of alternative roads nearby (e.g. Granville, Oak, Cambie, etc.), I can't see this being too disruptive... but at the same time, as the City of Vancouver opted to make room for it anyhow, I do wonder if there is strong demand for keeping the left turn to the north.

As much as I would like to see a streetcar run down the Arbutus Greenway, I'm not sure if it makes economic sense right now when it comes at the expense of the nearby frequent trolleybus route. There would have to be a really good business case for it - like up-zoning many of the lots surrounding the corridor - and while that may happen in the long term, I don't see that happening immediately. On the other hand, the RapidBus changes can be easily undone to make way for the streetcar if and when we get there.

6 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

the westbound bus may have to cross numerous traffic lanes and the paths of vehicles turning right when departing from the proposed stop.

Prime example WB West 49th Ave at Cambie Street in front of Langara 49th Ave. Station. That bus stop is way to close to the intersection which is the length of 2 vehicles. That bus stop should be pushed back 4-5 car lengths allowing for a safer distance from the intersection. I myself have been in the through lane about to make a right turn to go north on Cambie when suddenly the WB 49 UBC is puling out of the bus stop resulting a near miss. I've seen it with other vehicles as well. As a bus rider on occasion to walk a little further back would not kill me. There are other bus stops as well that are nearside to intersections which create a hazard for turning vehicles. I don't know who it is that plans these stops out, but obviously they are not using their brains.

On 2/15/2019 at 8:06 PM, dover5949 said:

Prime example WB West 49th Ave at Cambie Street in front of Langara 49th Ave. Station. That bus stop is way to close to the intersection which is the length of 2 vehicles. That bus stop should be pushed back 4-5 car lengths allowing for a safer distance from the intersection. I myself have been in the through lane about to make a right turn to go north on Cambie when suddenly the WB 49 UBC is puling out of the bus stop resulting a near miss. I've seen it with other vehicles as well. As a bus rider on occasion to walk a little further back would not kill me. There are other bus stops as well that are nearside to intersections which create a hazard for turning vehicles. I don't know who it is that plans these stops out, but obviously they are not using their brains.

Earlier this week, I was on a WB 9 Broadway that was just leaving the stop on the near side of Commercial Dr. The bus driver had to make a sudden brake when an idiot driver made a right turn onto Commercial from the centre lane directly in front of my bus.

Mine was a near-miss, but there have surely been actual collisions as a result of such actions.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canada-line-extension-richmond-delta

Personally I don't think the Canada Line should be extended beyond Riverport unless TransLink wants to rip open the tunnel and expand platforms to hold at least 4 car trainsets, which I can't see happening as some of the tunnel will have to be bored again due to the design of the stations and the tunnel. The current line can barely hold the demand it has now during peak times, sure we're getting 12 new trains next year, but how long will it be until those trains are packed and how many if those trains will even be in service during peak times?

19 hours ago, Dane said:

Won't happen, not enough density. Mass Transit isn't needed to replace a Park & Ride. 

Maybe in a couple decades Delta will grow enough. 

I remember reading an article from the municipal elections last year that said that Delta's mayor wanted to restore 601 and 602 service to downtown Vancouver rather than stopping at Bridgeport. I don't think that will happen (nor do I want it to), but that's apparently what Delta citizens want.

A better solution would be to increase service on existing lines and maybe create a new route that better links Delta with Surrey. I've never taken the 640 before, but it's the only route that goes east-west south of Fraser and I imagine a better service between the two cities would improve things.

28 minutes ago, bob32189 said:

I remember reading an article from the municipal elections last year that said that Delta's mayor wanted to restore 601 and 602 service to downtown Vancouver rather than stopping at Bridgeport. I don't think that will happen (nor do I want it to), but that's apparently what Delta citizens want.

What if you did it under the WCE fare schedule, similar to GO Transit’s commuter buses? Surveys (of family members who live in south Surrey and work downtown) suggest that the service would be well-used even with a premium fare.

36 minutes ago, Express691 said:

Seattle: though Link may be faster, they dont just funnel everyone onto it by truncating regional services at Angle Lake/Airport/Tukwila International.

There are still regional alternatives such as ST routes 577/578 coming up from further south in Federal Way and Puyallup. 

KCM's route 150 to Southcenter Mall also takes I5 rather than connecting to light rail.

As well, from what I have seen in the current schedules, Link is not faster, held back considerably by the lower speeds running on-street on MLK way. The 150 either matches or beats Link even in rush hour, staying in I-5 HOV lanes or the parallel SODO busway for most of the route.

Link will only get a speed advantage when buses move out of the Seattle Transit tunnel at the end of next month and have to run on-street thru DT Seattle.

• Like 1

I would support TransLink implementing express routes to/from major destinations (e.g. Downtown) with premium fares as a form of cost-recovery... Toronto already does something similar. My only condition is that it should be in addition to - and not a replacement of - existing local services; this ensures that no one is obligated to pay a higher fare for an essential service.

• Like 1

April 2019 Service Change

(weekdays, both direction unless otherwise specified -- these are what I've observed and it's very likely that I've missed a lot of changes)

002 - Last eastbound service starts from Dunbar Loop on Sun

023 - Afternoon and early evening service improve to every 10min on Sat, Sun (was 12-15min)

084 - 1 additional early morning trip on Sat, Sun (earlier start); 1 additional late night trip on Sat, Sun (later finish)

106 - Early PM peak service increase to every 7-8min (was 10min)

116 - 1/2 additional early morning trips on Sat (earlier start)

143 - Early PM peak service increase to every 10min westbound (was 15min) -- 1 trip

147 - PM peak service increase to every 15min (was 30min)

148 - PM peak service increase to every 15min (was 30min)

152 - Early evening service increase to every 30min westbound (was 60min) -- 1 trip

156 - Evening/late night service increase to every 40min (was 60min)

159 - PM peak service increase to every 15min westbound (was 20min) -- 1 trip

160 - Early AM peak increase to every 10min westbound weekday, Sat, Sun (was 15min) -- 1 or 2 trips

182 - Early evening increase to every 30min (was 60min)

188 - 1 additional PM peak eastbound trip; 1 additional AM peak westbound trip; 2 additional late-night westbound trips

229 - 1 additional late night trips on Sat (later finish)

236 - Morning/afternoon service improve to every 15min (was 30min), evening service improve to every 30min weekdays, Sat, Sun (was 60min) ---- is this a seasonal change??

240 - Late morning service improve to every 12min on Sat (was 15min); late afternoon service improve to every 12min on Sun (was 15min)

250 - Removing 3 morning/afternoon short-turn trip westbound, 1 extra PM peak trip westbound; late evening service increase to every 15min westbound (was 30min); Additional 3 morning trip eastbound; removal of 3 PM peak trips eastbound; 1 additional afternoon round-trip on Sat

257 - 1 additional late night trip weekdays (later finish); 1 additional early morning trip Sat (earlier start)

301 - Service improve to every 30min all day Sat (was 60min), earlier start on Sat

310 - 1 additional early morning trip on Sat, Sun (earlier start); early morning service improve to every 30min on Sun westbound (was 60min)

312 - Early morning service improve to every 30min on Sat (was 60min); earlier start; evening service improve to every 30min on Sat, Sun (was 60min)

314 - Evening/late night service improve to every 45min on Sat (was 60min); 1 additional early morning trip Sun northbound (earlier start)

316 - Early evening service increase to every 30min on Sat southbound (was 60min) --- 1 trip

319 - Early morning service improve to every 7-8min southbound (was 10min), early evening service improve to every 7-8min southbound (was 10min), late evening service improve to every 10min northbound (was 12min); early morning service improve to every 12min Sat southbound (was 15min); evening late night service improve to every 15min on Sun (was 30min); later finish northbound on Sun

320 - Late evening service to Langley improve to every 45min on Sat (was 60min); late evening service to Langley improve to every 30min on Sun (was 60min)

321 - PM peak service reduced to every 15min southbound (was 12min), time change result in more evening service and less late night -- 1 trip

323 - 1 additional early morning trip weekday, Sat and Sun (earlier start), 1 additional late night trip weekday, Sat and Sun (later finish), 1 extra late AM peak trip southbound, late evening improve to every 30min southbound (was 60min)

335 - extend 20min service afternoon by 1 trip each way on Sun (was 30min)

341 - 1 additional early morning trip Sat northbound (earlier start)

345 - AM peak service increase to every 20min southbound (was 30min), southbound schedule shift by 15min result in later end

351 - 2 additional AM peak northbound trip from S Surrey P&R

375 - 1 additional late evening trip northbound on Sat (later finish); early evening service improve to every 30min on Sun (was 60min)

408 - Late morning service improve to every 20min on Sat eastbound (was 30min); early morning service reduce to every 30min on Sat westbound (was 20min) -- overall no net service change

410 - Earlier PM peak start; extra early morning short-turn trips eastbound from HTC

501 - Late morning/early afternoon service improve to every 20min on Sat (was 30min)

502 - Extend peak 7-8min service for both AM/PM peak eastbound, earlier start eastbound; mid-morning service improve  to every 12min on Sat eastbound (was 15min); 1 additional late night trip Sun westbound (later finish)

555 - PM peak service increase to every 5-7min eastbound (from 8min) -- 1 trip

640 - Early afternoon service improve to every 20min (from 30min), evening service improve to every 30min till end of service (was 60min); morning service improve to every 30min on Sat (was 60min)

701 - Early morning westbound service increase to every 15min (was 30min), earlier start; mission trip time adjustment with additional unloading-only stops at downtown Maple Ridge

There is a change of how buses turn around at Richmond Centre for 406, 408, 410

Various short-turn trips in Vancouver added/removed, which are not included here when the net change is 2 or less.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, nname said:

April 2019 Service Change

502 - Extend peak 7-8min service for both AM/PM peak eastbound, earlier start eastbound

I wish they improved westbound reverse peak service. Trips to Surrey central get full at 3pm, most notably the 2:30pm trip from Langley which reaches 160th street at 3pm and is always jam packed.

Edited by Express691

14 minutes ago, popillil said:

Nope

I know that the unload stops will be in Maple Ridge, what I was asking was if they are adding more stops along the route, for example at Lougheed Hwy @ 227th or 228th, those stops are still within the general downtown area of Maple Ridge and are located along the route to Mission City Station, or are they just going to make some of the existing 701 stops before Haney unload only for Mission trips?

30 minutes ago, 8010 said:

These changes start on April 22nd, right?

Also those 701 Mission trip Unload stops are between Haney and Mission I assume?

Yes. Stops sequence after Haney Place:

60220 ico_wheelchair.gif EB LOUGHEED HWY AT 227 ST  
57794 spacer.gif EB LOUGHEED HWY AT 228 ST  
60979 spacer.gifico_clock.gif EB N RAILWAY AVE AT MISSION CITY STN

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nname said:

143 - Early PM peak service increase to every 10min westbound (was 15min) -- 1 trip

152 - Early evening service increase to every 30min westbound (was 60min) -- 1 trip

640 - Early afternoon service improve to every 20min (from 30min), evening service improve to every 30min till end of service (was 60min)

Someone is very happy about these ?

6 hours ago, nname said:

640 - Early afternoon service improve to every 20min (from 30min)

Thing I don't get is the 601 is much busier during that time than that of the 640, but yet the 640 will be receiving 20 minute frequencies, while the 601 will continue to get half-hourly frequencies. smh