Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

The colour green for B-Line services is not the problem. The B-Lines were actually coloured green on the system map up until “Evergreen” was chosen as the name for what became the Millennium Line extension to Lafarge Lake. The problem is abandoning the “B-Line” name and all the brand equity it has, and I’m not aware of that having been studied all that much. (Well, that, and the fact that having a sub-fleet painted in a special livery makes fleet management more complicated.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

The problem is abandoning the “B-Line” name and all the brand equity it has

Total agreement on the above posts about abandoning the B-Line name in favour of the generic "Rapidbus", especially after the B-Line has been well-established for 20+ years. Playing devil's advocate here: could TransLink be moving away from the B-Line because of the associations with constantly full buses and pass-ups?

16 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

I can only hope now that the infrastructure will be up to the BRT standards that they have promised... and yet, for some reason, I feel that might fall short too...

I didn't realize this "Rapidbus" will be closer to BRT than the current B-Line. Is there a link that specifies these infrastructure upgrades?

I'm pretty sure that the whole RapidBus name is just going to be used to distinguish B-Lines as a different service type, similar to how ExpressBus is used on Suburban/Highway routes. We don't see "351 Crescent Beach ExpressBus" or "555 Port Mann Exp - Carvolth Exchange ExpressBus" on the destination signs and I have high doubts we'll see "95 SFU RapidBus" or "96 Guildford RapidBus".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 8010 said:

I'm pretty sure that the whole RapidBus name is just going to be used to distinguish B-Lines as a different service type, similar to how ExpressBus is used on Suburban/Highway routes. We don't see "351 Crescent Beach ExpressBus" or "555 Port Mann Exp - Carvolth Exchange ExpressBus" on the destination signs and I have high doubts we'll see "95 SFU RapidBus" or "96 Guildford RapidBus".

I don't think that's what most of us take issue with. It's that a successful brand, which is REALLY rare to have in transit, is being dumped for no discernable reason. And adding a sub-scheme back into the mix which had already been stopped because it didn't make sense. 

And honestly, the buses just look bad. A sharp contrast to some of the best branding in Canada which other CMBC vehicles carry. 

On December 23, 2018 at 11:42 AM, ThatBusGuy said:

My guess is 18510-15 or 16 will go to FT in Langley to replace S302-4 and S1311-13, the rest to HTC to replace the remaining S1300s there and the S500s in worse condition

18516 is the end. Saw it today along with a couple others driving up and down Highway 10.

15 hours ago, Brando737 said:

Did anyone read the new release for why they made the changes?  I agree the B-Line is established and doesn't need to change, but they did a study on colours and what kind of reactions they got from people.  I'm not saying I agree with it, but there is some science and research to all of this.

I have read that Buzzer news release, and while I don't mind the research findings, I still think they did a poor job on the design and marketing front. Like really, they just superimposed new colours on top of the old sweep design that we've had for the past 18 years. It looks very boring and uninspired, especially when you consider the heavy use of green and blue throughout the West Coast. Also note that they even made a point about orange being a colour that stood out among the crowd; the only explanation for it failing was because they did a mock-up of an all-orange bus and then passed that around for review...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

I have read that Buzzer news release, and while I don't mind the research findings, I still think they did a poor job on the design and marketing front. Like really, they just superimposed new colours on top of the old sweep design that we've had for the past 18 years. It looks very boring and uninspired, especially when you consider the heavy use of green and blue throughout the West Coast. Also note that they even made a point about orange being a colour that stood out among the crowd; the only reason it failed to pass was because they did a mock-up of an all orange bus and then passed that around for review...

What? How did they not test a orange B-Line livery or a orange Sweep?

This RapidBus livery thing is going to end up being a repeat of the B-Line livery on the D60LFs, they'll realize it was a bad idea having different liveries on the exact same bus model and repaint all 63 XDE60s to the standard charcoal livery.

I read that these B-Lines are supposed to have updated seating yet these new XDE60s have the exact same Aries seats as every other conventional bus from 2005-present.

6 hours ago, Express691 said:

Some of the better ideas released to date. West Vancouver has always been a stick in the mud. It's like they never left the 1950s. West Vancouver isn't a small town anymore, and JFK isn't president. Should West Van not be okay, I say Translink goes for plan B and end it at Park Royal. 

• Like 2

Let's go to West Van and do a sit in blocking all of the parking spots by camping out in lawn chairs. If anyone waits 15 minutes for a spot (the minimum not having the bus lanes or the extended route to Ambleside would rob the relevant riders daily, who far outnumber the parkers), we will let them in. But as they get out of the car we will crowd them and hit them with backpacks as they walk to their destination so they know a little of the suffering of the proletariat.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, translink said:

Some of the better ideas released to date. West Vancouver has always been a stick in the mud. It's like they never left the 1950s. West Vancouver isn't a small town anymore, and JFK isn't president. Should West Van not be okay, I say Translink goes for plan B and end it at Park Royal. 

I don't want to criticize West Vancouver too much because I do like to see the retention of the WVMT, but I totally agree that, if they can't agree on bus priority measures to Dundarave, the North Shore RapidBus should end at Park Royal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkyTrain said:

Overheard a couple of RTC ops earlier today saying the 257 will be operating out of RTC using double-deckers.

Yes, I heard right. 

Wow. Who came up with that ludicrous idea... I would not want to be on one of those buses if and when it tries to make a turn on those mean West Vancouver hills...

41 minutes ago, Millennium2002 said:

Wow. Who came up with that ludicrous idea... I would not want to be on one of those buses if and when it tries to make a turn on those mean West Vancouver hills...

Good luck when sea breeze picks up (winds from water toward the land) and alters the center of balance when driving on highway 1 - it's already tricky enough when you have an artic.

In any sign, grain of salt, folks... need I say more?

42 minutes ago, Express691 said:

Good luck when sea breeze picks up (winds from water toward the land) and alters the center of balance when driving on highway 1 - it's already tricky enough when you have an artic.

In any sign, grain of salt, folks... need I say more?

I think someone is dreaming

I used to drive the 257 and can say a double decker bus could work, they use them in Victoria. Having said that the artic buses work better especially given the ability to do all door borading at horseshoe Bay and certain stops along Georgia Street. Also I'd imagine an artic bus could better handle luggage. 

Few more updates:

Work has started inside the 22nd street station area. I dont know if the kiss-and ride at the west end of the station will be moved. Does anyone know if any of the bays will be extended to accommodate artics? I also assume part of the electric bus charging stations will be installed at 22nd.

• Like 1

A reliable source high up at Translink head office has informed me that 8060 8063 8064 8065 8066 will no longer be used on the 49 Metrotown/UBC. Their customer relations received numerous complaints of luggage racks buses being assigned on the 49 as well as drivers were complaining. Apparently RTC operations was unaware of this situation. From what this source tells me RTC has some new people doing bus assignments & they were unaware they were assigning luggage racks buses on 1 of the busiest crosstown routes. This person goes on to tell me effective mid January is when this was issue resolved. These 5 coaches are to be strictly assigned to 620 with the exception of morning trips interlined with the 354, 403 & 480. Since Fridays, weekends, stat holidays & overloads when more then 5 buses are required to fill the route, standard 60 foot coaches will be assigned along with the 5 luggage rack equipped coaches.

1 hour ago, dover5949 said:

A reliable source high up at Translink head office has informed me that 8060 8063 8064 8065 8066 will no longer be used on the 49 Metrotown/UBC. Their customer relations received numerous complaints of luggage racks buses being assigned on the 49 as well as drivers were complaining. Apparently RTC operations was unaware of this situation. From what this source tells me RTC has some new people doing bus assignments & they were unaware they were assigning luggage racks buses on 1 of the busiest crosstown routes. This person goes on to tell me effective mid January is when this was issue resolved. These 5 coaches are to be strictly assigned to 620 with the exception of morning trips interlined with the 354, 403 & 480. Since Fridays, weekends, stat holidays & overloads when more then 5 buses are required to fill the route, standard 60 foot coaches will be assigned along with the 5 luggage rack equipped coaches.

8063 was on the 49 two days ago on Feb 4...

On a related note, since the D60LFs are being retired soon, will these 5 stay, or will 5 other buses be fitted with the luggage racks?

17 hours ago, briguychau said:

8063 was on the 49 two days ago on Feb 4...

On a related note, since the D60LFs are being retired soon, will these 5 stay, or will 5 other buses be fitted with the luggage racks?

My source advises me that if any of the 5 outfitted with luggage racks end up being retired due to a serious mechanical issue, the racks will be reinstalled in another coach.

As for 8063 being assigned on the 49 I'm told it is being investigated.

Slight change of topic. With new RapidBus coming to 41st Ave, City of Vancouver is currently holding consultations on corridor upgrades. One problem spot that is being looked at is at the West Blvd intersection.

Here is the city's proposal:

41st-avenue-b-line-kerrisdale-february-2

I'm not impressed with what they came up with. It was pointed out on another forum that the westbound bus may have to cross numerous traffic lanes and the paths of vehicles turning right when departing from the proposed stop. In addition, a single lane westbound after the intersection may become a chokepoint.

My response looks something like this:  (North faces the  right  left)

ufVvdLA.png

Basically I've moved the westbound stop onto a new bus-only road. Local access retained via extension of 40th Ave. Traffic lights will ensure RapidBus has priority getting back onto 41st Ave. The left turn lane to West Blvd northbound is removed in favour of having the vehicles loop around the block (sort of like a cloverleaf).

Thoughts?