Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

2 hours ago, gdt717 said:

Really very disappointing how little there is in this round of service changes.  With a growing system - and many pass-ups on many routes (502 of course) and no increase in service.  Bloody disappointing.

While I might counter-argue that all the big changes have to happen in September for a more streamlined sequence of increases, I do also think that at this rate, it is becoming quite slow. We shouldn't be waiting until every September for large changes, even though September is looked as "having the highest ridership (or so I recall/am told)."

On 12/18/2018 at 7:38 PM, Brando737 said:

These plans take time to implement and right now they are waiting for all the buses to be on the road and ready for said changes as well as operators.  April is another sheet that will sometimes make some bigger changes.

or just continue to defer retirements and increase service now : )

47 minutes ago, Firebrand said:

TransLink should order more XD40s, especially for BTC when its '07 Novas start retiring.

I think it’ll be novabus bae hybrids that end up going there, they no longer order straight diesels anymore unless its for suburban routes, but i 100% agree with you

• Like 2

I don't think anything like this would happen.  The cost is way too much.  I think Delta wanted to do this years ago, but decided not to due to the cost and Translink said they would not give up any resources it had already going into the area so the city would have to build a depot, purchase bus loop properties and buses.

I keep tinkering with Champlain Heights and River District service...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11ClZKWZrspcxg8aMl4uw0MZk5Hc&usp=sharing

Now I would stick this map in the fantasy section.. except that I think that the ideas are very realistic, and that TransLink should really consider some version of this when they decide to review the routes as part of their annual performance metrics or the future Vancouver & UBC Transit Plan.

Speaking of which, when is the plan up for renewal?

6 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

I keep tinkering with Champlain Heights and River District service...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11ClZKWZrspcxg8aMl4uw0MZk5Hc&usp=sharing

Now I would stick this map in the fantasy section.. except that I think that the ideas are very realistic, and that TransLink should really consider some version of this when they decide to review the routes as part of their annual performance metrics or the future Vancouver & UBC Transit Plan.

Speaking of which, when is the plan up for renewal?

Burnaby/New West is being renewed after Maple Ridge so I'd assume after Burnaby.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Express691 said:

20190114_180853.thumb.jpg.675d980afd7076e63c7f4c62c6a63ee2.jpg

For the record: SB BC99/Steveston is proof that there is a 602 Tsawwassen Heights M-F at 04:40-ish.

https://tcomm.bustrainferry.com/mobile/block/b_1750387 here's the block for it.

I actually took this once in July 2017. From what I can remember, the sign did display 602 instead of 601 - otherwise I would have taken a picture as proof! Unsurprisingly, there was no one else on board...

I think translink should really look into 96 rapidbus (b-line re-branded) to coquitlam. So as usual to guildford and then up like 501 but stopping only at 156st and 158 maybe. And then head on highway like the 555. 

They could easily make 555 half go to carvolth and half to newton. Very easily...

• Confused 2

13 minutes ago, rulerduler said:

They could easily make 555 half go to carvolth and half to newton. Very easily...

Not that easy. That form of service (you're proposing) is ultimately confusing for passengers. B-lines are not intended for long haul regional service between cities.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rulerduler said:

I think translink should really look into 96 rapidbus (b-line re-branded) to coquitlam.

It's been a few months since that photo of an artic in Rapidbus livery was posted. Is TransLink serious about "Rapidbus" replacing the B-Line branding? For me at least, B-Line just fits for the region. "Rapidbus" is too generic.

1 hour ago, rickie22 said:

It's been a few months since that photo of an artic in Rapidbus livery was posted. Is TransLink serious about "Rapidbus" replacing the B-Line branding? For me at least, B-Line just fits for the region. "Rapidbus" is too generic.

Those RapidBus units are in service right now.

With the buses already being delivered in blue-and-green RapidBus colours and the new routes only months away from starting, I don't think they will change much. But part of me will forever feel like they put a low-quality effort into the branding and livery... The overuse of blue and green, and the fact they applied it on top of the existing sweep design... Ugh!

I can only hope now that the infrastructure will be up to the BRT standards that they have promised... and yet, for some reason, I feel that might fall short too...

• Like 1

RapidBus is a combination of 2 things.

1- I really doubt that the people that work in the branding/marketing departments, and really anyone who works at Translink actually takes transit. They don’t understand how established the B-Line brand is already

2- Someone in the marketing department decided for some reason that everything needs a rebrand, and thus we got RapidBus. This is not a sports team, the B-Line branding and identity didn’t need a change, yet here we are. I’d imagine once the art wraps come off people will be so confused, the rapidbus branding wont be on any future orders, but sadly we will still have 63 attics that will carry this garbage look for at least 8-9 years

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

I can only hope now that the infrastructure will be up to the BRT standards that they have promised... and yet, for some reason, I feel that might fall short too...

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/north-shore-b-line-west-vancouver-ambleside-bus-only-lanes-opposition

Sadly the more transit-phobic side of the North Shore might not want that to happen, even though they desperately need better transit infrastructure there

49 minutes ago, Translink69 said:

2- Someone in the marketing department decided for some reason that everything needs a rebrand, and thus we got RapidBus. This is not a sports team, the B-Line branding and identity didn’t need a change, yet here we are. I’d imagine once the art wraps come off people will be so confused, the rapidbus branding wont be on any future orders, but sadly we will still have 63 attics that will carry this garbage look for at least 8-9 years

Fortunately for all of us they can just livery-wrap the RapidBus units into the plain charcoal sweep if no one likes them (although imo the green-blue colour scheme is still infinitely better than the "artistic" wraps that they have now)

• Like 2

Did anyone read the new release for why they made the changes?  I agree the B-Line is established and doesn't need to change, but they did a study on colours and what kind of reactions they got from people.  I'm not saying I agree with it, but there is some science and research to all of this.