Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

19 hours ago, Michael Marriott said:

Went hiking above Buntzen Lake today, and coming back down the 182 was completely full.  I got on at the stop at East Rd and Sunnyside Rd, along with several other hikers.  At that point we had 23 people on board, so we wound up passing up a couple of people in the eastern part of Anymore, as well as several people on the Ravine Dr loop.  n the summer, I have also seen the 179 leave people behind at Buntzen Lake due to the shuttle being full.  It seems with the Evergreen Line, more people are using transit to go to Buntzen Lake and service has not kept up with demand.  At this point, either the 182 needs 30 minute service 7 days a week or the 179 needs to be expanded to run year round and seven days a week.

The plan is to split the 182 into 3 routes.  One goes from Anmore -> East -> Port Moody, one from Ioco -> Sunnyside -> East -> Port Moody, and one Belcarra -> Ioco -> Port Moody.  Each one would run every 60min.

So with the change, the stop at East and Sunnyside should have 30min service.

This is part of phase 2 improvement, I guess the timing would be the summer of 2019.. or 2020?

• Like 1

On 10/10/2018 at 5:30 PM, Unloading Only said:

So it looks like translink has approved a private operator to run an express bus between UBC and Surrey. "Surrey B-Shuttle" lol

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/surrey-b-shuttle-ubc-express-bus-route

I believe I saw one of their cutaway vans going westbound on 41st and Dunbar. I didn't catch a good look at it but it was a newer looking cutaway van with a turquoise looking destination sign that read UBC. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a good look at it because I only realized what it was after it went by me. ☺️

• Like 1

On 10/10/2018 at 5:30 PM, Unloading Only said:

So it looks like translink has approved a private operator to run an express bus between UBC and Surrey. "Surrey B-Shuttle" lol

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/surrey-b-shuttle-ubc-express-bus-route

http://www.bshuttle.ca/#/front-page

page-1_img02.jpgBus1_2018-09-14.jpg

page-3_img02.jpg

On 10/13/2018 at 12:23 PM, Thomasw said:

I believe I saw one of their cutaway vans going westbound on 41st and Dunbar. I didn't catch a good look at it but it was a newer looking cutaway van with a turquoise looking destination sign that read UBC. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a good look at it because I only realized what it was after it went by me. ☺️

image.thumb.png.75e3d33e9f3fc68a312404339ccf62dd.png Was this the one?

image.png

• Like 2

Noticed today that the sign for the new 609 stop on SB 52nd St @ Cliff Dr / Belair Dr (not sure which it'll be named for) is in place. I haven't seen any alerts about when it will officially be in use, but I imagine it'll be soon now that there's an actual sign and stop number (which I now realize I forgot to check, I'll try do that tomorrow). Following construction on 52nd St I noticed there also appears to be new bus pullouts SB @ Hwy 17 (south side of the highway) and NB @ Upland Dr, but I haven't looked to see if there's signs at either of those locations.

On 10/17/2018 at 5:11 PM, Express691 said:

Screenshot_20181017-163729_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3fe1cb022923e48b6a88716a85e2a176.jpg

Bombshell increase for the 319. Hopefully it evens out and the bus departing at 9:25p has a lesser load (and will be able to pick up everyone waiting at KPU after evening classes)

Follow up: the added trips are on a new index... took some old style bus fanning to figure that out. 7423 was the one that did the extra service.

Confirmed that these trips are shortened to Scottsdale.

The 9:25p I catch at the end of my class ended up with a seated load with half standees. Usually it's crush loaded.

Not sure if I'm a fan of this super-shortened version of the sign (you can tell the original length, which extends to the Blue Bus section). I though the format was always the B-Line first, then standalone route, then the combined section, then night bus in the end. So 258 should be at the top...? Even if they sort by route numbers, then 258 should be after the other 250s? So what order is this?

The fact that "UBC" is exactly 3 letters long made this thing looks even worse...

And then, if they list the Cemetery bus on stops, perhaps it's time to assign a route number to it?  After all, the 260s are all available for West Van to use now.

P_20181013_192124.jpg

3 hours ago, nname said:

Not sure if I'm a fan of this super-shortened version of the sign (you can tell the original length, which extends to the Blue Bus section). I though the format was always the B-Line first, then standalone route, then the combined section, then night bus in the end. So 258 should be at the top...? Even if they sort by route numbers, then 258 should be after the other 250s? So what order is this?

The fact that "UBC" is exactly 3 letters long made this thing looks even worse...

And then, if they list the Cemetery bus on stops, perhaps it's time to assign a route number to it?  After all, the 260s are all available for West Van to use now.

P_20181013_192124.jpg

I thought the Cemetery Service was just a 250 to Park Royal since it pretty much duplicated the route.

57 minutes ago, rulerduler said:

"250 horseshoe bay via park royal"? 

More like "250 Horseshoe Bay via Dundarave" because the 257 also travels via Park Royal, but that's just going to confuse people who end up catching a 250A Dundarave bus instead of a 250 Horseshoe Bay bus.

1 hour ago, 8010 said:

More like "250 Horseshoe Bay via Dundarave" because the 257 also travels via Park Royal, but that's just going to confuse people who end up catching a 250A Dundarave bus instead of a 250 Horseshoe Bay bus.

257 is now pick-up only at Park Royal, so whether it goes there or not doesn't matter anymore.

2 hours ago, rulerduler said:

Couldn't they name it "250 - cemetery via park royal" "250 park royal only" "250 horseshoe bay via park royal"? 

But Cemetery is no where near any places the 250 would go. By TransLink's standard that would warrant a new route number, like how 282 split from 281; 231 split from 236; 341/342 split from 340, etc.

If they're forced to re-use a number... "254 to Cemetery" should be a better choice?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 8010 said:

Apparently the whole RapidBus livery/branding is the new B-Line branding to better differentiate the B-Lines from the rest of the bus fleet.

OK, so I get the new livery (aside from the havoc it causes with spare ratios), but why abandon the B-Line brand? The degree of penetration it’s achieved is a marketer’s dream!

• Like 2