Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

1 hour ago, 8800GTX said:

I don't think this is actually the new B-Line branding by the way (I recall TL is looking at doing a branding for the highway rapid buses - furthermore the fact that this livery is on R12024, which might be seen on the 620, but is not used on any B-Line routes, convinces me that it's the new highway bus livery).

However, the 41st avenue B-Line is slated to run out of RTC...

But, like @Community Shuttle said, I've heard of the 555 being referred to as "RapidBus," so  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

555 is technically the ExpressBus...

17 minutes ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

But, like @Community Shuttle said, I've heard of the 555 being referred to as "RapidBus," so  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Actually, I can't help but wonder if they could instead use:

- Orange... Because all the B-lines are currently denoted as such on the maps.

- Red... A former B-Line livery colour that isn't used for anything else at the moment.

Perhaps neither of those are enough of a break from the old, though.

I'llbe missing the good old B-Line branding if and when they phase it out...

• Like 2

This livery actually looks very much like a leaked image I saw of the planned livery for the double-deckers, so I think this is the new highway coach branding rather than a replacement for the B-Line. Besides, the B-Line brand is way too strong to do away with at this point.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

This livery actually looks very much like a leaked image I saw of the planned livery for the double-deckers, so I think this is the new highway coach branding rather than a replacement for the B-Line. Besides, the B-Line brand is way too strong to do away with at this point.

I have to wonder though: will buses wearing this livery be restricted to the highway routes? I have unusually strong doubts that they'll be able to keep that up in the long run, given how the B-Line branded buses can now be seen pretty much anywhere in the system. It really just sounds like a make-work project the more I think about it.

26 minutes ago, Millennium2002 said:

I have to wonder though: will buses wearing this livery be restricted to the highway routes? I have unusually strong doubts that they'll be able to keep that up in the long run, given how the B-Line branded buses can now be seen pretty much anywhere in the system. It really just sounds like a make-work project the more I think about it.

They probably won't, seeing as how D60LFs with luggage racks often end up on the 49.

10 hours ago, TranslinkKid said:

IMG_0507.jpg

Call me weird, but I kinda like it.  My only issue is with the "Rapid Bus" branding.  We already use "Express bus", so why change it?  While the colours are mostly different from the usual livery, at least it follows the same design.

1 hour ago, Millennium2002 said:

1 hour ago, 8010 said:

They probably won't, seeing as how D60LFs with luggage racks often end up on the 49.

1 hour ago, Express691 said:

Or go to seattle and you find RapidRide buses on Sound Transit route 550 and vice versa

In the real world, where buses break down, subfleets are very tricky to keep separate. (Look at how often we see urban buses on highway routes, 40-footers on artic routes, etc.) In order to do it, you need a higher spare ratio in each subfleet than you would otherwise - and right now, spare buses are not exactly something TransLink has in abundance. This is the whole reason they did away with a separate B-Line livery: keeping B-Line artics and other artics separate was more trouble than it was worth.

By the same token, I do not support having a separate "RapidBus" livery for highway coaches. Put special branding on everything else, but keep the coaches in the same TransLink sweep. That way, you can sub buses back and forth without screwing up the passengers - because it will happen, the alternative being that certain runs don't happen for want of buses to run them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

Can I see that leaked image?

8 hours ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

Last I heard the 91 could operate out of HTC and this is coming from discussion with planners.  All up in the air at this point, they are going through many plans at the moment and trying to figure out the best way to operate all this expanded service.

7 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

This sounds more likely and makes allot of sense.  Many other cities have different bus brands for different service within the same operating company and Translink is trying to vastly improve the customer experience.  So with this idea we would have:

• Standard urban service in current livery
  • Suburban and ferry service being Rapid Bus
  • B-Line being the B-Line's

Other than B-Line being strongly established, the last board meeting did say they would be revamping the look of the B-Line service, but not rebranding it and it would be stupid to do so.  Every city has Rapid Bus, but we are unique with the B-Line.  

However, the Nova suburban's are supposed to have a livery in line with the current one, but with the blue instead of dark grey along the window line.  Unless they changed their minds since then.  Also, they would have to make sure certain buses remain on the service they are painted for otherwise this whole idea would be pointless.  It's possible, but an operational change would need to take place to ensure the buses to out on the proper service.

14 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

I have seen "RapidBus" being used to refer to the 555 before so it could be

First, it's actually ExpressBus, for the record...

But about the livery, in two words. "Seriously? Disappointed."

The B-Line is a really strong brand. I'm not sure what I'd think if I was waiting at Guildford and suddenly a "96 Rapidbus" pulls up. The livery isn't right on either the highway coaches or the B-Line. Imagine this on one of the 2008 Orions, which aren't being retired anytime soon. Or the livery getting stretched high on a double-decker. Just... keep the current yellow livery, in my opinion it looks perfect. Don't ruin anything... please.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FlyingPig said:

First, it's actually ExpressBus, for the record...

But about the livery, in two words. "Seriously? Disappointed."

The B-Line is a really strong brand. I'm not sure what I'd think if I was waiting at Guildford and suddenly a "96 Rapidbus" pulls up. The livery isn't right on either the highway coaches or the B-Line. Imagine this on one of the 2008 Orions, which aren't being retired anytime soon. Or the livery getting stretched high on a double-decker. Just... keep the current yellow livery, in my opinion it looks perfect. Don't ruin anything... please.

6473478-2.thumb.png.010ea131f816867ab354abb4fc98eacb.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, buizelbus said:

6473478-2.thumb.png.010ea131f816867ab354abb4fc98eacb.png

Related imageThe yellow on both buses looks way better than the soap-inspired R12024 livery. And, RapidBus was the name used when the 555 was in development - now, when I board one of those, the sticker says "ExpressBus". But for a B-Line... give the livery some thought before making it a Canucks poster, please? The old red might do well:

Image result for translink b line livery

I'm not sure if I'd recognize that as a TransLink bus if it pulled up at my stop. It's such a departure from all of the other liveries in service, which are at least some combination of the normal TransLink yellow / blue / white / gray colors. This also seems like it would make it more uncomfortable to use that coach on other routes / loan it to other depots?

4 minutes ago, Unloading Only said:

I'm not sure if I'd recognize that as a TransLink bus if it pulled up at my stop. It's such a departure from all of the other liveries in service, which are at least some combination of the normal TransLink yellow / blue / white / gray colors. This also seems like it would make it more uncomfortable to use that coach on other routes / loan it to other depots?

I'm sure people will recognize still as a T/L vehicle with the destination sign 

3 minutes ago, ThomasW97 said:

I'm sure people will recognize still as a T/L vehicle with the destination sign 

For sure, but I think most people wouldn't look at that bus and immediately think "TransLink", from a branding point of view. Maybe the idea is to give the high frequency express buses more distinctive branding, to sell them as a different "higher quality" service (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_rapid_transit#Prominent_brand_or_identity)?

Remember when R12024 looked like this.

210414-5536translink12024.jpg

and nobody complained about how hideous it looked with its new paint job and how much of a bad idea this was on Translinks part.

ohh the good old days.

(Credit to peter McLaughlin for the photo, busdrawings.com)

2 hours ago, Thomasw said:

Remember when R12024 looked like this.

210414-5536translink12024.jpg

and nobody complained about how hideous it looked with its new paint job and how much of a bad idea this was on Translinks part.

ohh the good old days.

(Credit to peter McLaughlin for the photo, busdrawings.com)

True.

But really all they need to do is put the charcoal strip on.

ALSO: Was poking around and found this:

Related image

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FlyingPig said:

True.

But really all they need to do is put the charcoal strip on.

ALSO: Was poking around and found this:

Related image

This is what Z95.3 and TransLink should have done for the Z95.3 advertising. Wrap the portion of the bus with the "90s" side of the ad in this livery and leave the "now" side untouched. I'll throw a render up once I make it.

• Haha 1

On 9/7/2018 at 2:39 AM, Community Shuttle said:

I have seen "RapidBus" being used to refer to the 555 before so it could be

Updated wiki paint icon. Should I change anything else before uploading it?

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 11.41.59 PM.png

It should be noted: this livery could very well be in the development phase and the two different greens could be a test to see what works and what doesn't.

• Like 2