Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

11 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

There is a small chance for TransLink to acquire property on the North Shore. It just has to be one of the following three types:

• Port Metro Vancouver property (what VTC now sits on)
  • Squamish First Nations property (most likely a long lease)
  • Other North Vancouver City / District property designated for industrial purposes (openings are rare and prices are high)

However, with the way real estate have played out, they probably thought that acquiring new property at such ridiculous prices was just not worth it.

To make the West Vancouver situation more sustainable, either:

• The share of funds going to transit should be based on something other than property values (e.g. population)
  • The share of transit hours allocated to each city should be changed to be in proportion to what they pay into it
  • West Vancouver operates more routes from their garage (e.g. the upcoming North Shore B-Line; this was supposed to happen with some other North Shore routes, but Unifor stonewalled it for petty union territory/membership reasons)

Not really petty reasons.  The North Shore B-Line will directly replace the 239 which is CMBC work.  Union wouldn't be good if they just let work go without a fight.  

• Like 2

Phase 2 proposal is officially out.

Some interesting notes:
Broadway extension ($2.63 Billion) and Newton-Guildford LRT ($1.65 Billion) have both increased about $600 Million. Why? That is far beyond what a normal inflationary increase should be.

A couple new routes for the FTN! 128 (this is an interesting choice for an addition), 112, 323, 144, 403, 601

Burnaby Mountain Gondola and UBC extension are in there for "planning"

Lots of nightbus hours increasing! Hopefully this means 2-way service along the route all night long.

Lots more I'm not including, but you can go read it for yourself.

18 minutes ago, maege said:

A couple new routes for the FTN! 128 (this is an interesting choice for an addition), 112, 323, 144, 403, 601

The 128 is an odd choice to add to the FTN.  An east-west crosstown service in New West is a logical addition to make a grid of frequent routes, but the 155 seems like a better choice.  As it stands, the 155 already gets more riders than the 128, and when you add in the riders the 101 gets where it overlaps the 155 then 6th Ave overall has more riders than 8th Ave.  As well, the 155/6th Ave service has more apartment blocks/multi family housing than 8th and would provide better service to the Sapperton business district on E Columbia, the Royal Columbian Hospital, all the new condos going into the Brewery District and to the Uptown shopping centre.

Not sure if anyone saw it previously, but there is a "North Shore Transportation Planning Project" underway.

A report is due in July:"

Working in collaboration, the Integrated North Shore Transportation Planning Project will:

• Complete an assessment of transportation needs and gaps on the North Shore.
  • Identify objectives to be met by the transportation system.
  • Enable partner agencies to suggest and evaluate potential solutions in all transportation modes.
  • Identify short term actions and longer term options, which can be advanced by appropriate lead agencies.
  • Produce a collective long-term transportation framework for the North Shore.

June Route Changes

Most of these posted already, but there are a few more added:

310 - Scottsdale/Ladner Exchange
322 - Newton Exchange/Scottsdale
370 - Cloverdale/Willowbrook
560 - Murrayville/Langley Centre
561 - Langley Centre/Brookswood
562 - Langley Centre/Walnut Grove
563 - Langley Centre/Fernridge
564 - Langley Centre/Willowbrook
743 - Haney Place/Maple Meadow Station/Meadowtown
744 - Haney Place/Maple Meadow Station/Meadowtown
745 - Haney Place/Cottonwood
746 - Haney Place/Albion
748 - Thronhill/Haney Place
749 - Ruskin/Haney Place

September Route Changes

Final round of c-series branding declassification?

103 - Quayside/Victoria Hall
105 - Uptown/New Westminster Station
109 - New Westminster Station/Lougheed Station
146 - Metrotown Station/Suncrest
147 - Metrotown Station/Edmonds Station
148 - Royal Oak Station/Edmonds Station
412 - Bridgeport Station/Sea Island South
413 - Riverport/Steveston
414 - Richmond Oval/Brighouse Station
416 - East Cambie/Brighouse Station
614 - English Bluff/South Delta Rec Centre
616 - Ladner South/Ladner Exchange
617 - East Ladner/Ladner Exchange
618 - Ladner North/Ladner Exchange
619 - Boundary Bay/South Delta Rec Centre
719 - Meadowtown/Fraser Way
722 - Meadowtown/Bonson

So far, only route left to be renumbered will be C41 and C98

For the Burnaby ones, since they are going to change the last digit anyways, I'd prefer them using the 11x instead of the 14x.... What are they saving the 11x for?

For those who are unfamiliar... C3, C4 becomes the 103, 105; C5, C6, C7 becomes the 148, 146, 147. All others are straightforward.

Edited by nname
Add C41 changes for Sept
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, neopasturquoise said:

Not sure why they are not using 114, 115 and 117...

Also, I thought they are planning to cancel the C87 due to low ridership.

Yeah, 11x seems the most logical for that area. They even bother to renumber all the New West route as 10x, but choose 14x for the South Burnaby routes?

And funny that all other area got their shuttle renumbered to x1x.

And... they are planning to cancel the C87, but not yet I guess (so it can take up a number first...).

As for C98... maybe they're deciding whether it's a Richmond route (418) or a New West route (108)...?

2 minutes ago, neopasturquoise said:

Not sure why they are not using 114, 115 and 117...

Also, I thought they are planning to cancel the C87 due to low ridership.

It'll be cancelled once the SWATP is finalized and begins rolling out sometime either this year or in 2019.

1 hour ago, nname said:

Yeah, 11x seems the most logical for that area. They even bother to renumber all the New West route as 10x, but choose 14x for the South Burnaby routes?

And funny that all other area got their shuttle renumbered to x1x.

And... they are planning to cancel the C87, but not yet I guess (so it can take up a number first...).

As for C98... maybe they're deciding whether it's a Richmond route (418) or a New West route (108)...?

I prefer 418 because it’s somewhat related to the 410 and it will be extended to Riverport in the long term.

Finding an appropriate numbering scheme can be largely related on the geography of the regions served. Some places are easier and some are harder to organize.

Let me bring up Durham Region Transit, which was formed in 2006 by an amalgamation of independent transit services in different regions. The new agency initially retained the route numbering of its predecessor systems, leading to conflicts. This was resolved in 2008 with the present three-digit numbering system, with the first digit representing the municipality. Appropriately, the numbering increases from west to east (away from Toronto), as a result of the linear placement of the major towns and cities: Pickering (1xx), Ajax (2xx), Whitby (3xx), Oshawa (4xx), Clarington (5xx), Brock (6xx).

Translink is in a more difficult situation than DRT, because there is no logical way to number the divisions of the routes, as they are spread out over the place rather than laid out in a straight line like in Durham Region. Also, because many routes cross municipal boundaries and serve multiple major termini, it is easier to create conflicts in the route numbering scheme. Good luck to the route planners there trying to avoid confusion in this regard.

42 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

Finding an appropriate numbering scheme can be largely related on the geography of the regions served. Some places are easier and some are harder to organize.

There are numbering scheme in Vancouver, or we thought... until they start create new ones that not follow the rule anymore:

001 - 089 Vancouver - UBC

02x - East Vancouver (except the 23)

04x - Mostly E/W routes through southern Vancouver due to street number (except the 42, 44)

05x - Tourist places (used to have the 51 Granville Island, 52 Around the Park, 56 Lost Lagoon... now only the 50 left)

06x - UBC local?

090 - 099 B-Lines

100 - 199 Burnaby/New West/Tri-Cities

10x - New Wesetminster

11x - Burnaby South

12x - Burnaby/New West Central

13x - Burnaby North

14x - Northeast Burnaby/SFU (until the 14x shuttles)

15x - Coquitlam South (except 155, but there's historical reason for it)

16x - Coquitlam Town Centre area

17x - Port Coqutilam (except the 179 underflow from the 18x group)

18x - Northern Tri-Cities

19x - Burke Mountain

200 - 299 North Shore

21x - Seymour, Deep Cove

22x - Lynn Valley

23x - Lonsdale

24x - Upper Lonsdale, Upper Capilano service to Downtown

25x - West Vancouver

26x - West Vancouver

28x - Bowen Island

29x - Limited service/express

300 - 399 Surrey, White Rock, North Delta

30x - Regional routes

31x - North Delta

32x - Central Surrey

33x - Northeast Surrey, Fleetwood

34x - East Newton

35x - South Surrey, White Rock regional

36x - South Surrey, White Rock local

37x - I want to say Cloverdale? But what's 371, 373 doing here....

39x - Limited service/express

400 - 499 Richmond

40x - Primary Richmond routes

41x - Seems like it will be secondary routes?

49x - Limited service/express

500 - 599 Langley

50x - Regional routes

56x - Langley city shuttle routes

Not sure where 531, 555 and 595 belongs

600 - 699 South Delta

.. too few route to even categorize them?

700 - 799 Pitt Meadows/Maple Ridge

70x - Regional route

71x - Pitt Meadows (?)

72x - Pitt Meadows (?)

73x - Maple Ridge

74x - Maple Ridge

79x - Limited service/express

• Like 1

The confusion is mainly caused by the C numbering. They should have numbered the shuttle routes based on the regions (eg. 318> C38), but there were too many 3XX  routes which were downsized to shuttle routes. I guess they shouldn't renumber the routes at all back in 2002.

26 minutes ago, neopasturquoise said:

The confusion is mainly caused by the C numbering. They should have numbered the shuttle routes based on the regions (eg. 318> C38), but there were too many 3XX  routes which were downsized to shuttle routes. I guess they shouldn't renumber the routes at all back in 2002.

I think the Tri-cities are causing the most issue... There's no spare number for the area and they literally ran out of number to use later, and have to share the same route number many different routings...

C38 was the worse - C38 Prairie, C38 River Springs, C38 Port Coquitlam Station, C38 Coquitlam Station, C38 River Springs Express, C38 Coquitlam Station Express

C26 was bad too - C26 Belcarra, C26 Anmore, C26 Belcarra via Anmore, C26 Belcarra via Ravine, C26 Buntzen Lake, C26 Port Moody Stn, C26 Port Moody Stn via Anmore, C26 Port Moody via Ravine, C26 Coquitlam Station

In the end, the C38 split into 2 routes (173, 174) and the third routing cancelled but eventually lead to the 188.

The C26 becomes two routes (179, 182), and the 182, together with 181, and may eventually split into 4 routes during phase 2...

The C39, probably reserved for Burke Mountain... may eventually turn into a whole 19x series of routes.

4 hours ago, nname said:

June Route Changes

Most of these posted already, but there are a few more added:

310 - Scottsdale/Ladner Exchange

322 - Newton Exchange/Scottsdale

370 - Cloverdale/Willowbrook

560 - Murrayville/Langley Centre

561 - Langley Centre/Brookswood

562 - Langley Centre/Walnut Grove

563 - Langley Centre/Fernridge

564 - Langley Centre/Willowbrook

743 - Haney Place/Maple Meadow Station/Meadowtown

744 - Haney Place/Maple Meadow Station/Meadowtown

745 - Haney Place/Cottonwood

746 - Haney Place/Albion

748 - Thronhill/Haney Place

749 - Ruskin/Haney Place

September Route Changes

For the Burnaby ones, since they are going to change the last digit anyways, I'd prefer them using the 11x instead of the 14x.... What are they saving the 11x for?

For those who are unfamiliar... C3, C4 becomes the 103, 105; C5, C6, C7 becomes the 148, 146, 147. All others are straightforward.

Makes me wonder what the new SWATP routes are going to be called, like the new 3 Road service travelling to Steveston or even e/w routes like the 410e & 410w, I assume that the e & w routes are just placeholder route numbers and will be given actual route numbers without letters at the end once SWATP is finalized.

As far as I know, it will be 410 22nd St Stn/Brighouse (All trips Fraserwood) and 406 Railway/Brighouse.  Until the loop at finished, hopefully by end of this year, the 410 will most likely layover on Anderson.  406 probably just the same as the 402/404 does now.  I could see bus stop No 3 @ Park being the 410's first pickup point for easy transfer from the 406.  Not sure how other routes would be numbered in the SWATP.

410 split will hopefully be done for September, but I don't know for sure.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brando737 said:

As far as I know, it will be 410 22nd St Stn/Brighouse (All trips Fraserwood) and 406 Railway/Brighouse.  Until the loop at finished, hopefully by end of this year, the 410 will most likely layover on Anderson.  406 probably just the same as the 402/404 does now.  I could see bus stop No 3 @ Park being the 410's first pickup point for easy transfer from the 406.  Not sure how other routes would be numbered in the SWATP.

410 split will hopefully be done for September, but I don't know for sure.

Hopefully they revive the old numbers, bringing back 408 Garden City and 420 Bridgeport.

6 hours ago, nname said:

The C87 isn't going to get cancelled until Delta upgrades crosswalks/pedestrian amenities on Ladner Trunk Rd so people can safely access the C76.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nname said:

September Route Changes

Since the last digit was changing anyway, I was hoping the C4 would become the 102, which would match up with the 106 and 112 given it runs N-S on 2 St.  Though, I guess the C4 does have enough diversions to serve other areas that it's not needed.

Not going to lie, I will find it very amusing if the C98, which has been all big bus since 2014, winds up being the last C-series route.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Michael Marriott said:

Not going to lie, I will find it very amusing if the C98, which has been all big bus since 2014, winds up being the last C-series route.

At it stand now, that may be happening at least internally when updating the schedule database.

C41 changes were added to September sheet:

722 - Meadowtown/Bonson

Only C98 left!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nname said:

At it stand now, that may be happening at least internally when updating the schedule database.

C41 changes were added to September sheet:

722 - Meadowtown/Bonson

Only C98 left!

Seems kinda odd that they're doing the C41 in September but the rest of the C40s in June

6 minutes ago, Translink69 said:

Have they changed the 606/608? I forget what is happening with them, if anything at this point and I'm too lazy to look it up...

In the SWATP, they're planning to extend them to Bridgeport Stn. But this would only be happening in September 2018 at the earliest...

• Thanks 2