Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

1 minute ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Sorry to crash into this discussion, but I was curious as to what speed Tlink's trolleys are limited to?

I read that different sections of the wires allow for the trolleys to travel different at speeds, I don't know if there's any truth to that though.

2 hours ago, 8010 said:

Is there a comfortable solution that doesn't involve using foam and could be a bit more cost-effective?

Not that I'm aware of. The USSC Aries, is, IMHO the most comfortable shell seat out there.

34 minutes ago, 8010 said:

I read that different sections of the wires allow for the trolleys to travel different at speeds, I don't know if there's any truth to that though.

That is correct. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, northwesterner said:

Are they actually electronically governed or is that the most the traction motor can propel the coach given the rear differential gearing? 

On a downslope, when already going 65km/hr, the vehicle automatically slows itself down, when gravity would otherwise allow it to go faster.

47 minutes ago, northwesterner said:

Are they actually electronically governed or is that the most the traction motor can propel the coach given the rear differential gearing? 

I was told that the speed governing on modern trolleybuses is about protecting the electronic control system.

This is in contrast to the traditional type of trolleybus like the Brills  which had a DC traction motor with speed control by resistors. They could easily do 80 km or more e.g. on night time runs along 41st to OTC. And any stray currents or whatever from running at high speed would not damage anything. 

Depending  on the model, trolleybuses have a differential gearing ratio of about 10:1. The New Flyer trolleybuses could in theory go as fast as the old Brills but if they went that fast, they could damage the power electronics.

Edited by martin607

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 1:20 AM, 8010 said:

So once the 4 Battery-Electric buses hit the roads next year is the 100 going back to VTC? I think it would make more sense to do that rather than have a bunch of trips operating out of different transit centres.

Another point might also be electric vehicle maintenance. VTC has mechanics who are used to maintaining electric powered buses i.e. trolleys. There is presumably at least some overlap in principle between battery electric and mains electric (trolley) i.e. electric motor and power electronics for speed control. Also a kind of "culture" thing, working around electrically powered vehicles??

Am I the only one who doesn't like the current SkyTrain operating pattern between Columbia, Burquitlam, and Production Stations? It just seems like a bit of a mess right now, especially around Lougheed Station where trains are being forced to stop outside the station more often than they probably should be.

28 minutes ago, 8010 said:

Am I the only one who doesn't like the current SkyTrain operating pattern between Columbia, Burquitlam, and Production Stations? It just seems like a bit of a mess right now, especially around Lougheed Station where trains are being forced to stop outside the station more often than they probably should be.

Fear not. This will be changed before summer. With VCC bound trains from Coquitlam using the outside track, while Coquitlam bound will share the Waterfront bound platform. The outbound platform will remain for Expo Line trains to Production. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Marlow1331 said:

Fear not. This will be changed before summer. With VCC bound trains from Coquitlam using the outside track, while Coquitlam bound will share the Waterfront bound platform. The outbound platform will remain for Expo Line trains to Production. 

So let's see if I understand this correctly:

Platform 1:

Expo Line to Waterfront

Millennium Line to Lafarge Lake-Douglas

Platform 2:

Expo Line to Production Way-University

Platform 3:

Millennium Line to VCC-Clark

If this is so it would really fix the current operating pattern and not have that unnecessary European-like pattern between Lougheed and Burquitlam.

12 minutes ago, 8010 said:

So let's see if I understand this correctly:

Platform 1:

Expo Line to Waterfront

Millennium Line to Lafarge Lake-Douglas

Platform 2:

Expo Line to Production Way-University

Platform 3:

Millennium Line to VCC-Clark

If this is so it would really fix the current operating pattern and not have that unnecessary European-like pattern between Lougheed and Burquitlam.

Correct. It will also take some wear off the current switches in use. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Marlow1331 said:

Correct. It will also take some wear off the current switches in use. 

I think that pattern will work a lot better in the long-term, I think there may still be the odd time where Production-bound Expo Line trains might get stuck outside the station (which seems to be an unfixable issue anyway), but other than that I can't see any new problems that could arise with the new pattern.

Would you happen to know if TransLink will be installing new real-time info boards on Platforms 1 & 2 anytime soon?

1 hour ago, Marlow1331 said:

Makes soooo much more sense. Where did you hear this, though?

1 hour ago, Stormscape said:

The only problem I can see is where would Expo Line trains take recovery then? Braid Station inbound?

Does it need to take recovery? I would argue that it is not needed, and that the control system should hold the train for a few extra seconds at each station prior to Columbia, if needed, to fit between the trains coming from Surrey. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, maege said:

Does it need to take recovery? I would argue that it is not needed, and that the control system should hold the train for a few extra seconds at each station prior to Columbia, if needed, to fit between the trains coming from Surrey. 

The recovery is added so that the departure toward Waterfront is timed after the train arrive from Coquitlam, so passenger can walk across the platform with no wait time for the transfer. Also, train from Waterfront arrive at Production shortly before the train to Coquitlam arrives, so there's no wait time there too.

---------

And, just noticed that the renumber to 215 and 262 had been move forward to Apr 23 instead of the original May date.

Seems like West Van need to print a new rider guide soon?

• Like 1

I was on google maps over PCT and was thinking that their current parking arrangement isn't the most efficient use of space, especially with the new B-line coming in 2019. I see it changing to something more linear by the time the Loughred B-line is put in place.

53 minutes ago, Express691 said:

I was on google maps over PCT and was thinking that their current parking arrangement isn't the most efficient use of space, especially with the new B-line coming in 2019. I see it changing to something more linear by the time the Loughred B-line is put in place.

I don't think that's even an issue. If you park 2 buses per line, the parking area in current config can park 17*12 = 204 standard buses. I don't think PCT even have 200 buses right now, and there are much more shuttles (3 per line) than articulated buses (1 per line).

3 hours ago, 8010 said:

Two Questions:

2. Isn't the 351's service between White Rock Centre and Crescent Beach supposed to be replaced by a new Community Shuttle route?

There was a huge amount of negative response to that proposal when they asked for feedback, so it got shelved (at least for the short-term).

4 hours ago, Orcair said:

There was a huge amount of negative response to that proposal when they asked for feedback, so it got shelved (at least for the short-term).

But usually when I take the 351 from White Rock it's normally late and/or half full because of the routing beyond White Rock Centre.