Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

1 hour ago, translink said:

First off, why?! Secondly... how many of the listed routes do you actually take or have taken on a regular basis. Because I see at least four that I myself, both presently and previously taken on a regular occasion. At that time those service levels were perfect. 

First example; 112. You’ve listed that as a service... “improvement”.

How do you improve something that just works. 15 minutes from start of service Monday to Saturday and half hourly after 6PM. Half hourly on Sundays and Holidays! THERES NO NEED FOR IMPROVING SOMETHING THAT ISNT BROKEN!

Its part of the FTN network. 10 minutes from start of service to 9Pm 7 days a week. IF ITS 10 MINUTES BETWEEN BUSES YOU DONT NEED TO IMPROVE IT! Otherwise GET A B-LINE!

N10. Look it’s a night bus that runs half hourly and skips the airport after 4:30AM. Why? Because the Canada Line starts running then. The first regular 10 starts southbound literally five minutes later. THERES NO POINT!

You can saturate all your “improved” route choices. But at some point... all your improved buses will be lined up at a traffic light spewing diesel smoke. 

But please do tell me how wrong I am about your ideas on how you can “improve” Transit.

These are TransLink's routes that they believe are in need of improvements, not mine. So you are very wrong to say that these are my ideas (if they were my ideas I would have posted them under the "Dream's and Aspirations" thread). Canada Line doesn't start running until 5 am while the N10 stops going to the Airport at 4 am, which leaves an hour of no service. 112 will probably be given 15 minute Sunday service to be included in the FTN. Overcrowding on the 100 during peak is getting worse so it does need some additional trips here And there. And I take about 6 of those routes on a somewhat regular basis and they do need the improvements. You can complain about diesel smoke all you want but there aren't going to be anymore Series 50 buses (except maybe the 9 2008 Orions) by the time 2022 comes around and the 2007/08 Novas will be retired by around 2028 so your concern about that is unjustified and makes no sense.

56 minutes ago, 8010 said:

. And I take about 6 of those routes on a somewhat regular basis and they do need the improvements. You can complain about diesel smoke all you want but there aren't going to be anymore Series 50 buses (except maybe the 9 2008 Orions)

Only 6. SIX is justified for you to think that they need improvements?

2008 Orions?!

I think everyone here needs a time-out. I could volunteer myself to a multi-day ban if I could but...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Express691 said:

Only 6. SIX is justified for you to think that they need improvements?

2008 Orions?!

I think everyone here needs a time-out. I could volunteer myself to a multi-day ban if I could but...

Again, not my list, I apologize if I don't take all 68 of these routes on a regular basis. Here's the map if you don't believe me. Not sure why a bunch of you are mad at me when I have nothing to do with the planning that goes on at TransLink.

(Yes, 2007/2008 Orions exist)

Screenshot_20180330-053547.png

32 minutes ago, 8010 said:

Again, not my list, I apologize if I don't take all 68 of these routes on a regular basis. Here's the map if you don't believe me. Not sure why a bunch of you are mad at me when I have nothing to do with the planning that goes on at TransLink.

You don't need to apologize, all you  did was post a list of potential service improvements that was taken straight from a publicly available document that was linked to on the previous page.  If people have an issue with the choice of service improvements, they can direct it either to their elected representatives on the mayors council or to the Translink service planning department.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Michael Marriott said:

You don't need to apologize, all you  did was post a list of potential service improvements that was taken straight from a publicly available document that was linked to on the previous page.  If people have an issue with the choice of service improvements, they can direct it either their elected representatives on the mayors council or to the Translink service planning department.

Thanks man, that's what I've been trying to say but people keep ignoring it so I kinda just gave up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, translink said:

How do you improve something that just works. 15 minutes from start of service Monday to Saturday and half hourly after 6PM. Half hourly on Sundays and Holidays! THERES NO NEED FOR IMPROVING SOMETHING THAT ISNT BROKEN!

Its part of the FTN network. 10 minutes from start of service to 9Pm 7 days a week. IF ITS 10 MINUTES BETWEEN BUSES YOU DONT NEED TO IMPROVE IT! Otherwise GET A B-LINE!

N10. Look it’s a night bus that runs half hourly and skips the airport after 4:30AM. Why? Because the Canada Line starts running then. The first regular 10 starts southbound literally five minutes later. THERES NO POINT!

You can saturate all your “improved” route choices. But at some point... all your improved buses will be lined up at a traffic light spewing diesel smoke. 

But please do tell me how wrong I am about your ideas on how you can “improve” Transit.

A lot of the proposed improvements in the mayor's ten year plan are proactive ones, designed to make transit more attractive and boost ridership.  If people know that the service is frequent and reliable, they will be more likely to use it.  There is something to be said for making improvements before the buses are over crowded and riders are being passed up.  As well, improving on existing routes does make the service more usable for current riders.  The 112 is a logical route to boost frequency on, given it already has some periods of off-peak frequent service.

As for the 100, it is not every 10 minutes until 9pm 7 days a week.  Saturday and Sunday service never gets more frequent than every 15 minutes.  Weekdays, 10 minute service is during peak hours, and the early afternoon.  Service is every 12 minutes late morning, and every 15 minutes in the early evening.  Given that buses heading east from Marine Dr Station have full loads in the evening, there is plenty of room for frequency improvements on that route.

And the N10/N15 changes were spelled out in the South West Area Transit Plan; the plan is for all N10 trips to skip YVR, saving Richmond bound riders 10-15 minutes on their trip, and extending the N15 to YVR in its place, with expanded service hours.  This would allow for people with early flights to use transit, as well as giving YVR shift workers a transit option if they happen to work during the hours the Canada Line is out of service.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Ninja Bus Fan said:

Image result for wtf gif

Buddy... I'm so lost ATM ... What are you trying to say ?!?!?!

Sorry I should have been more clear. With the current orders of XDE60s, XN40s, LFS Suburbans, LFS HEVs, and Enviro500s, (from New Flyer, NovaBus, and Alexander Dennis respectively) that is mostly enough to retire all buses that are equipped with Detroit Series 50 engines (1995-1999 NFI D40LFs and majority of the 2000/2001 Orion V fleet). Which will greatly reduce emissions from transit vehicles.

13 minutes ago, Michael Marriott said:

A lot of the proposed improvements in the mayor's ten year plan are proactive ones, designed to make transit more attractive and boost ridership.  If people know that the service is frequent and reliable, they will be more likely to use it.  There is something to be said for making improvements before the buses are over crowded and riders are being passed up.  As well, improving on existing routes does make the service more usable for current riders.  The 112 is a logical route to boost frequency on, given it already has some periods of off-peak frequent service.

As for the 100, it is not every 10 minutes until 9pm 7 days a week.  Saturday and Sunday service never gets more frequent than every 15 minutes.  Weekdays, 10 minute service is during peak hours, and the early afternoon.  Service is every 12 minutes late morning, and every 15 minutes in the early evening.  Given that buses heading east from Marine Dr Station have full loads in the evening, there is plenty of room for frequency improvements on that route.

And the N10/N15 changes were spelled out in the South West Area Transit Plan; the plan is for all N10 trips to skip YVR, saving Richmond bound riders 10-15 minutes on their trip, and extending the N15 to YVR in its place, with expanded service hours.  This would allow for people with early flights to use transit, as well as giving YVR shift workers a transit option if they happen to work during the hours the Canada Line is out of service.

Yes thank you!!!

I believe that the current changes proposed for the NightBus routes is to provide 24/7 bus service along busy corridors (like the changes with the 95 and N35 along the Hastings corridor that happened in 2017) and areas that need the 24/7 service like the Airport.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Michael Marriott said:

I used to work at the airport. I’ve seen the plans. I’m completely behind it. But at the same time, when I see a full list of routes and someone going “oh here’s a list of service changes” go for broke. I’m gonna assume that they pulled their ideas from some pie in the sky idea. I’ve seen the maps before. But until I see some tangible evidence of what TL wants to do for phase two. Baring any funding crisis, or cutting service levels so hard half the city has no service at all. 

I’m gonna wait till ALL the changes are posted by Translink. And not some kid behind a screen reading a map and listing EVERYTHING.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hmmm... I wonder why TransLink ordered 104 NovaBus LFS HEVs as EXPANSION units. During yesterday's board meeting one of the higher ups at TransLink (I believe it was Geoff Cross) presented the EXACT SAME MAP that I posted. There's no need to be so miserable over something someone posts. I just thought some people would like to know the proposed changes now rather than a month from now (FYI: I am not the first person to do this when it comes to proposed transit changes).

Can we agree to not be a bunch of smart asses from now on and move on?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, translink said:

I used to work at the airport. I’ve seen the plans. I’m completely behind it. But at the same time, when I see a full list of routes and someone going “oh here’s a list of service changes” go for broke. I’m gonna assume that they pulled their ideas from some pie in the sky idea. I’ve seen the maps before. But until I see some tangible evidence of what TL wants to do for phase two. Baring any funding crisis, or cutting service levels so hard half the city has no service at all. 

I’m gonna wait till ALL the changes are posted by Translink. And not some kid behind a screen reading a map and listing EVERYTHING.

3 hours ago, translink said:

First off, why?! Secondly... how many of the listed routes do you actually take or have taken on a regular basis. Because I see at least four that I myself, both presently and previously taken on a regular occasion. At that time those service levels were perfect. 

http://tenyearvision.translink.ca/downloads/Phase2Summary_final.pdf 

Not official enough?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

No idea. Found it off the internet when I typed in "Phase 2 10 year investment plan TransLink."

Well anyway, thanks for finding it. I just looked on the 10-Year website and it's under the "Planned Projects" section. I was just on the site a couple days ago and it wasn't there so they must've just recently added it. It's nice to see that a larger majority of areas/communities are going to get improved transit services in Phase 2.

2 minutes ago, Translink69 said:

@8010, get used to people freaking out and not reading things fully. It is a semi-common occurrnce on here unfortunately...

I guess it's just a common occurrence in today's society as a whole, which I do try to accept and not freak out over. It just gets slightly annoying after awhile. Thanks for the heads up, I've only seen it happen a couple of times here, then again I am slightly new here so I haven't seen probably nearly as much as you or some of the other members have seen.

12 minutes ago, Translink69 said:

freaking out

Really ... If you really wanna see people freak out go check out the Ontario sub-forums ... That's where you'd actually see people freak out. 

7 minutes ago, 8010 said:

I guess it's just a common occurrence in today's society as a whole, which I do try to accept and not freak out over

I like how you assume everybody in society act's that way as you generalized it saying " common occurrence in today's society ". Not everybody is the type to throw a tantrum over the littlest stuff.  

Any who this is off topic so ... Back on topic guys. 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Ninja Bus Fan said:

Really ... If you really wanna see people freak out go check out the Ontario sub-forums ... That's where you'd actually see people freak out. 

I like how you assume everybody in society act's that way as you generalized it saying " common occurrence in today's society ". Not everybody is the type to throw a tantrum over the littlest stuff.  

Any who this is off topic so ... Back on topic guys. 

I didn't mean every single person in society throws a tantrum over little things, I think you knew that lol.

And I agree, let's get back on topic folks. Sorry about that.

On 3/30/2018 at 1:25 PM, 8010 said:

I guess that's because they aren't used to you posting future changes. If I'm the one who posted it, I'm sure they would have no problem (but I got too lazy to list them...) :P

The map only shows existing route. Even if the planned improvement will modify the routing, it still show the original route. By this logic, that mysterious route between Lincoln and PoCo station must be the 160.

Seems like the 254, 256 will be getting two-way service and probably split into 4 routes. Also the 181, 182 may be getting the planned split too.

And you missed the new service areas:

- Harbourside (extension of 231??)

- East Fraser Land (extension of 116? 26? 29?)

- East Fraser Heights (extension of 337? re-route of 501?)

- 68th Avenue in Surrey (I bet it will be 368)

- Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge, Langley shuttle restructure

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nname said:

I guess that's because they aren't used to you posting future changes. If I'm the one who posted it, I'm sure they would have no problem (but I got too lazy to list them...) :P

The map only shows existing route. Even if the planned improvement will modify the routing, it still show the original route. By this logic, that mysterious route between Lincoln and PoCo station must be the 160.

Seems like the 254, 256 will be getting two-way service and probably split into 4 routes. Also the 181, 182 may be getting the planned split too.

And you missed the new service areas:

- Harbourside (extension of 231??)

- East Fraser Land (extension of 116? 26? 29?)

- East Fraser Heights (extension of 337? re-route of 501?)

- 68th Avenue in Surrey (I bet it will be 368)

- Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge, Langley shuttle restructure

I purposely missed the new service areas because I got too lazy. :P

I think the route splits will be good for the people who live near the current one-way routes.

Do you have any idea what could be going down W 70th and then turning onto the Oak Street Bridge from Marine Drive Station? I put the N8 down because it looked like a continuation of the route line, but I'm not sure. 

East Fraser Lands - I'd say a restructure of the 26 to be extended down to there as the current route structure is terrible and doesn't connect to the 100 (and it kind of just goes everywhere), maybe even the 29 going be extended there as well.

Harbourside - yeah I was thinking the same thing of extending the 231, maybe even some expanded span of service?

East Fraser Heights - probably some route restructure and an extension of the 337 to serve more of the Fraser Heights area.

68th Ave - I bet you're right

Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge, Langley Community Shuttles - I can't believe this hasn't happened already, the current route structures are pretty bad, with the exception of the 733 and the 741.

1 minute ago, 8010 said:

East Fraser Lands - I'd say a restructure of the 26 to be extended down to there as the current route structure is terrible and doesn't connect to the 100, maybe even the 29 going be extended there as well.

Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge, Langley Community Shuttles - I can't believe this hasn't happened already, the current route structures are pretty bad, with the exception of the 733 and the 741.

EFL - More like the road infrastructure is terrible compared to route structuring itself

Pitt Meadows - yeah look at the C41 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Express691 said:

EFL - More like the road infrastructure is terrible compared to route structuring itself

Pitt Meadows - yeah look at the C41 

Community Shuttles - hopefully with the route restructures there will be increased frequency so that buses are running on Sundays and run better than every 2 hours (look at the Saturday schedule, in my opinion all bus routes, excluding peak-only routes, should be running no less than once an hour all-day, everyday)

26 - The structure is not as good as the other surrounding bus routes, but I do agree that the road infrastructure is a lot worse

B-Line consultation:  https://www.translink.ca/bline

41st Avenue B-Line

3-6min peak, 8min midday/evening/weekend, 15min night
Replaces route 43
Reduce and shorten 41 to Crown and operate by Trolley
UBC portion of 41 replaced by 49

Fraser Highway B-Line

8min peak, 10min midday/evening/weekend, 15min night
Reduce 502 service and 503 to become local

Lougheed B-Line

10min peak, 15min midday/evening/weekend, 15min night
New service on Lougheed Highway in Maple Ridge
Extend 595 to 203 Street

Marine-Main B-Line

8min peak, 10min midday/evening/weekend, 15min night
Replaces route 239
Extend 240 to Lynn Valley and increase frequency
Move 255 to Keith and reduce frequency
Service to Cap U either by (a) new high-frequency route or (B) extend 28 all day plus more service on 130

• Like 2