Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

19 hours ago, MVTArider said:

They could switch them to something like B1, B2, B10, etc. Wound help differentiate the service a bit, like the C(X) community shuttles or N(X) night routes.

Well based on the other recent route discussion, they're actively getting rid of the C routes...

9 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

I prefer the idea of using #x9x, so as to preserve the geographic associations - e.g., re-number the King George B-Line to #396.

I think it'd be more reasonable to use the geographic location just in the last digit - Eg, 257/239 -> 92, 319 -> 93, 430 -> 94, 701 -> re-use 97. Tricky one for that would be 503 -> 95, since that number is already taken... Maybe they could use 96 once the L line is built? Guess we'll see...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stormscape said:

The Royal Hudson special actually had a route number?

Yeah there were three. I’m stretching my memor a lot but in the peak of the “good old BC Rail days” the Royal Hudson had two routes, one to Lonsdale Quay and one to Downtown. 

For or a couple years in the late-90d the Cariboo Prospector also had a B.C. Transit route. Cannot remember if it went downtown or to the Quay, though?!

14 hours ago, Dane said:

Yeah there were three. I’m stretching my memor a lot but in the peak of the “good old BC Rail days” the Royal Hudson had two routes, one to Lonsdale Quay and one to Downtown. 

For or a couple years in the late-90d the Cariboo Prospector also had a B.C. Transit route. Cannot remember if it went downtown or to the Quay, though?!

The 1 that met  the BCR Dayliner in the evenings went to Downtown. From downtown it would return to NVTC NIS

19 hours ago, neopasturquoise said:

Of which I missed, the 430 moves into bay 3, the old 49 Bay, starting January 29th.

1) Probably so the 430s dont have to loop around to exit

2) Maybe better to move it there now in case any B-line study/artic testing (if any) is done. (Though the last time an artic appeared on the full route was sometime in 2014-2015).

4 hours ago, Express691 said:

Of which I missed, the 430 moves into bay 3, the old 49 Bay, starting January 29th.

1) Probably so the 430s dont have to loop around to exit

2) Maybe better to move it there now in case any B-line study/artic testing (if any) is done. (Though the last time an artic appeared on the full route was sometime in 2014-2015).

1) Exactly!  Also more room at bay 3 for the long lineups that the 430 usually has.  

2) There is going to be a study done, most likely behind the scenes for the most part.  By the time the study is done, I'm sure the 430 will have been moved to Central Blvd already.  The current loop is slowly phasing out as the mall wants all that space and everything will eventually be on Central Blvd.  Would be nice if Translink could get the city to agree to an actual loop around the station, but I doubt that will every happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brando737 said:

The current loop is slowly phasing out as the mall wants all that space and everything will eventually be on Central Blvd. 

Nope. City of Burnaby won't allow CMBC to install overhead for a new turning loop for the Kingsway trolleybus. Unless CMBC dieselizes the #19 or terminates it at Joyce Station, the existing loop will need to remain in place.

4 minutes ago, Brando737 said:

Would be nice if [TransLink] could get the city to agree to an actual loop around the station, but I doubt that will every happen.

The original plan was for the bus loop to surround the centre and west entrances. The City of Burnaby won't allow a connection between Central Blvd. and Beresford, even a bus-only one. Oh, and they also won't allow the overhead walkway across Central Blvd. to be rebuilt, possibly because of their plans to have Metropolis at Metrotown go the way of all flesh. 

Adding on to metrotown discussion:

Seems that 

1) The 019, 119 and 130 cannot use the stop just before Metrotown Station anymore, as that stop is now designated as unloading only for the 49s (Dont know when this took effect though)

2) no notices up yet for the 430 change at bay 3 for Monday (but bay 8 has had a notice up for a while now)

3) UBC aquatic centre has expressed concerns over diesel fumes at the bus loop, hence why buses have to unload at the bay farthest away from the SUB.

1 hour ago, Mountie said:

Noticed that select ‘144 Metrotown Stn’ trips route via Nelson, Kingsway, Mckay, Central. Not sure how long this has been going on, but it caught my eye as I saw a 144 make a turn onto Kingsway.

This has been going on since September 2017 on weekdays only. Initially, there were seven trips that did this routing (two in the morning and five in the afternoon). Those trips usually interlined with the 116 during peak hours to skip going into the loop, but ultimately cuts out the Bonsor portion of the trip. However, since the December sheet, there's 11 trips that do this routing (three in the morning, eight in the afternoon), also on weekdays only.

The 110 also does the Kingsway routing, skipping Bonsor, on weekdays only with two trips (one in the early morning and one during PM peak hours).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jeffrey Ngai said:

This has been going on since September 2017 on weekdays only. Initially, there were seven trips that did this routing (two in the morning and five in the afternoon). Those trips usually interlined with the 116 during peak hours to skip going into the loop, but ultimately cuts out the Bonsor portion of the trip. However, since the December sheet, there's 11 trips that do this routing (three in the morning, eight in the afternoon), also on weekdays only.

The 110 also does the Kingsway routing, skipping Bonsor, on weekdays only with two trips (one in the early morning and one during PM peak hours).

Further evidence that it would be very easy to route the 119 via Bonsor WB, and the 110/144 via Bonsor EB (or vice versa), obviating the need for either of them to use the Imperial/Central routing. Just need to find a single WB on-street stop somewhere. 

More new stops for the 430 as of yesterday:

SB Garden City at Leslie
NB Garden City at Alderbridge

My guess is that people wanted more service for that shopping complex at Garden City at Alderbridge.

It doesnt appear under TransLink alerts but apparently showed up on trip planner with an alert attached to it

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Express691 said:

Minor change that went un-noticed for 9 months:

502 Surrey Central goes via 104th to University into Surrey Central, no longer via City Parkway.

I take the 502 every morning and have done so for years.  It still goes from KG Station along KGB, left on 104 then left on City Parkway - at least my bus does.

10 minutes ago, gdt717 said:

I take the 502 every morning and have done so for years.  It still goes from KG Station along KGB, left on 104 then left on City Parkway - at least my bus does.

Yeah thats always the route they take in the odd occasion that I ride the 502 all the way to surrey central for whatever reason. It wasnt until yesterday that I noticed a stop for 104th avenue and we ended up going past City and beyond to University.

What I did was compare a few of the previous print schedules and saw that the routing was listed as 104th to University starting sometime in either the January or April 2017 print schedules (presumably due to station upgrade work). Further evidence is suggested in the route diagrams on the next bus site.

On 2018-01-30 at 2:17 PM, Express691 said:

More new stops for the 430 as of yesterday:

SB Garden City at Leslie

NB Garden City at Alderbridge

Interesting that they chose to stop at Leslie rather than FS Alderbridge. Anyone heading to the shopping complex will have to walk another block up to the intersection before crossing. I reckon most will try to cross right there, which doesn't make much sense as 1. there's no light yet, and 2. only access from Garden City is at the corner. It's also an extra walk to the mid-rises on the SW corner, so I feel like there's ridership potential that will be missed there.

On the other hand I find this stop location to be quite favourable for accessing the businesses to the west of the intersection - so, like, the restaurant row on Alexandria. I usually just do the 10 min walk from Lansdowne Stn, but I might be taking the 430 to get there sometimes now. :)

3 hours ago, 8800GTX said:

Interesting that they chose to stop at Leslie rather than FS Alderbridge. Anyone heading to the shopping complex will have to walk another block up to the intersection before crossing. I reckon most will try to cross right there, which doesn't make much sense as 1. there's no light yet, and 2. only access from Garden City is at the corner. It's also an extra walk to the mid-rises on the SW corner, so I feel like there's ridership potential that will be missed there.

On the other hand I find this stop location to be quite favourable for accessing the businesses to the west of the intersection - so, like, the restaurant row on Alexandria. I usually just do the 10 min walk from Lansdowne Stn, but I might be taking the 430 to get there sometimes now. :)

I think they should add one of those overhead flashing special crossings. It's quite a bit of a hassle to cross there currently. The signal at Alderbridge favours cars too, it's extraordinary long from what I've seen.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2018 at 11:28 AM, nname said:

Seems like C18/C20 will get the same re-number and loop-splitting treatment?

68 UBC Exchange/Lower Mall

70 UBC Exchange/Wesbrook Mall

I guess C19 will be 69 then...

And C19 will becomes the 42 instead...

There's still no consistency here... or I guess the 131 (Holdom), 137, 139, 317 and 328 isn't popular enough to get revived?

4 hours ago, nname said:

And C19 will becomes the 42 instead...

There's still no consistency here... or I guess the 131 (Holdom), 137, 139, 317 and 328 isn't popular enough to get revived?

On the most recent sheet of sign codes, there are destination codes for 131 and 132 for the C1 and C2 respectively.