Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

2 hours ago, Express691 said:

I do foresee 480 mid-day service being slashed in favour of the introduction of all day service on the 043 (April 2018 sheet perhaps??).

#43 is already getting midday service this sheet, albeit only at 15min headways. That said, I too think that's the way it will end up: 41st Ave. B-Line all-day, every day, with the #480 providing additional peak-period service during the school year.

28 minutes ago, GORDOOM said:

#43 is already getting midday service this sheet, albeit only at 15min headways. That said, I too think that's the way it will end up: 41st Ave. B-Line all-day, every day, with the #480 providing additional peak-period service during the school year.

If they ever do get rid of the 480, I hope it's after they add plenty more capacity to the Canada line as well as 41st...

3 hours ago, neopasturquoise said:

Short summary: ridership is up 5.7% so far in 2017 after 4.5% growth in 2016. Seabus and WCE ridership was down 2.8% and 3%, respectively, in 2016. All other modes increased ridership.

Random notes:

All Evergreen extension stations were seeing a higher volume of riders than Lake City Way and Templeton, during the month they were open in 2016. Coquitlam Central and Lincoln were the busiest Evergreen stations. They had more passengers than Sperling-Burnaby Lake, VCC-Clarke, Templeton, Sapperton, and were tied with Rupert.

The 96 gained the most additional riders, 570k of them, followed by the 19, 25, 319, and 100 which all had over 400k additional riders compared to 2015.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Express691 said:

Wonder if these stats were recorded with the same route forms (95/135 and all the 3CT shuttle renumberings)

The report specifies that all the stats were taken between September and December, and does not include any of the post-Evergreen bus changes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stormscape said:

With Compass they could feasibly collect year round data at this point, wonder if they'll be moving toward that for the bus passenger data.

Yes they will be using compass for passenger data.  They wanted to be able to have tap out data to see where people get on/off to improve service even more with possible short turn routes and stuff like that, but that won't be happening.

Interesting to see that the 3 routes I have used the most often (96, 319, 100) are all highest on the list of ridership growth!

You can kind of tell why the growth is being seen on each of these routes, however. South of Fraser demand is driven by route network improvements (changed 335, etc) but I would pin a lot of the 96 growth on the introduction of the aircon XDE60s and exclusive bus lanes, more riders switching from the 320/321/501/509 and cancelled 590. The XDE60s were a massive improvement, and also resulted in more consistency in use of artic buses. Noteworthy is that the overcrowding rate at all times of day on the 96 is at 0%.

The 319 is probably riding on those improvements with the 96 and the network. Meanwhile the popularity of the 100 is definitely an outcome of the opening of Marine Gateway in March.

1 hour ago, 8800GTX said:

Interesting to see that the 3 routes I have used the most often (96, 319, 100) are all highest on the list of ridership growth!

You can kind of tell why the growth is being seen on each of these routes, however. South of Fraser demand is driven by route network improvements (changed 335, etc) but I would pin a lot of the 96 growth on the introduction of the aircon XDE60s and exclusive bus lanes, more riders switching from the 320/321/501/509 and cancelled 590. The XDE60s were a massive improvement, and also resulted in more consistency in use of artic buses. Noteworthy is that the overcrowding rate at all times of day on the 96 is at 0%.

The 319 is probably riding on those improvements with the 96 and the network. Meanwhile the popularity of the 100 is definitely an outcome of the opening of Marine Gateway in March.

Don't forget growth. Surrey is still growing at a very rapid pace and that is significantly contributing to ridership growth as well.

As for the 319, other factors probably helped, but it grew ~300k in 2015 and 400k last year, suggesting that the growth in 2016 was primarily a natural continuation of the rate of growth the year before.

For the 96, the new buses may have helped pushed growth higher, but the 96 ridership grew 477k in 2014, 368k in 2015, then 570k last year. This shows there was a continuation of significant natural growth, and the other factors you mentioned probably helped push the number even somewhat higher. 

The 100's growth is very significant compared to it's past few years trend. It grew 380k riders in 2013, but then only 160k in 2014 and 5k in 2015 before 407k last year. 

• 3 weeks later...

September schedule is now online:

http://infomaps.translink.ca/Public_Timetables/136/tt159.pdf

http://infomaps.translink.ca/Public_Timetables/136/tt363.pdf

http://infomaps.translink.ca/Public_Timetables/136/tt372.pdf

http://infomaps.translink.ca/Public_Timetables/136/tt733.pdf

http://infomaps.translink.ca/Public_Timetables/136/tt741.pdf

Notice the new destination name for 363... So taking the 363 "Southpoint" bus, you're actually heading north :D

Also updated the google doc with codes for Dec and Jan sheets...

• Like 3

Since we're talking about the September sheets, when will the 351 service improvements come into effect? I thought it was supposed to be this September, but I looked at both the URL plug-in schedule and those PDF schedules, and they both show the 351 is getting no service upgrades in September. Did they delay the 351 service upgrades?

5 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

They should have gone all-out IMO rather than this weird staged opening... I suppose what's holding them back is a lack of artics?

But adding weekend service with the same span and less peak trippers shouldn't require additional artics...could it be manpower?

I'm heartily waiting for my Duffin's Donuts express to be born.

20 minutes ago, Large Cat said:

But adding weekend service with the same span and less peak trippers shouldn't require additional artics...could it be manpower?

Going to B-Line status would also mean a significant increase in peak and midday service - 15-minute headways wouldn't cut it. You'd probably need to run sub-5-minute headways at peak, and that would require additional coaches.

22 minutes ago, Large Cat said:

I'm heartily waiting for my Duffin's Donuts express to be born.

?☕?

6 hours ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

Since we're talking about the September sheets, when will the 351 service improvements come into effect? I thought it was supposed to be this September, but I looked at both the URL plug-in schedule and those PDF schedules, and they both show the 351 is getting no service upgrades in September. Did they delay the 351 service upgrades?

Do you mean the extra bus from 3 pm onwards (I seem to recall, like you suggest, that the September sheet was to add this bus) or was there another improvement planned?

2 hours ago, Orcair said:

Do you mean the extra bus from 3 pm onwards (I seem to recall, like you suggest, that the September sheet was to add this bus) or was there another improvement planned?

Yes, I mean the 7 minute 351 rush hour frequency promised in the 10 year investment plan.