Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

Change is on January 4 this year. Probably because of the survey stuff they had to do. I will edit this post as I find the changes.

403 NB trip from 2508 on Saturdays short turns at Steveston at 5 road

410 has 1 additional PM Peak SB trip

555 2 additional PM Peak EB trips

Actually 555 doesn't change. The word "Continued" has been added and those 2 lines have bumped down the schedule two spots in the PM area :)

Actually 555 doesn't change. The word "Continued" has been added and those 2 lines have bumped down the schedule two spots in the PM area :)

Wow, I must have misread that.

Anyways, from what Im looking at so far, there does not seem to be any big changes as far as the major routes are concerned.

Not yet anyway, given the lead time for service changes the January schedules would have been designed while consultation on the changes was occurring. As well, a lot of the changes are linked to the Evergreen Line opening, and some of the Vancouver changes require adjustments to the trolley wires.

Keep in mind the last time Translink did a region wide consultation on network changes in November 2012, it was September 2013 when the first changes from the proposal were implemented, and the last was implemented in June 2014. So, I would expect a similar time frame for any of the proposed changes in this round of consultation.

Yeah, status quo on almost everything.

Guessing none of their 85 proposals are moving forward at this time.

Holiday service changes have been released, with the usual Sunday service levels and Christmas Day reductions going below the Sunday schedule. The complete list can be found here: http://www.translink.ca/en/Schedules-and-Maps/Holiday-Service.aspx

The Seabus could get pretty busy on boxing day with only half hour service. I'd expect sailing waits throughout much of the day. And on Christmas day, it looks like there will be a huge gap for service going up Lonsdale - no bus to meet the Seabus leaving WF at :16. Essentially the 229 is every hour at :02 and the 230 every hour at :47.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think this would be the best thread for this. I read an article in the Surrey news leader that LRT for Surrey is gaining momentum. It mentioned Linda Hepner is going strong with keeping the election promise for LRT and the fact that the federal Liberals have all but one seat in Surrey and are supporting the project. The article mentions that construction should be started by 2018 (happens to be election time) on the first phase which is what the 96 is currently. Another contributing factor, which I didn't notice in the article, is that Translink's new CEO had a part in bringing Seattle's LRT to life which could bring even more momentum to Surrey's LRT.

I think a better option would be BRT with dedicated bus lanes and signal priority throughout the entire route which would be even cheaper than LRT and the timing is the same as the 96. There is also a question as to who might operate the LRT. The work basically belongs to CMBC so it could be that CMBC may operate the line similar to Edmonton and Calgary operates. The operates work both buses and LRT. Other options are BCRTC or a third party which would be the worst option in my opinion.

Maybe time for this topic to have its own thread?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Forwarding my response to Brando from the other thread....

@Brando737 - That article was probably the column (opinion) piece by Frank Bucholtz, not an actual news piece. If anything I would say LRT is having horrible momentum - because both the pro-LRT organization (Light Rail Links) and the City of Surrey have been engaging in a huge LRT push over this past week (there've been several news releases, and a new video if you check Surrey's YouTube), none of which have actually been given much notice by media and the general public. The Mayor's breakfast thing Hepner did yesterday was supposed to be focused on LRT - but it was the gas tax announcement that stole all the attention, with the words "LRT" or "Light Rail" basically omitted from news headlines (included in the article, but not the main part of the piece).

There's been some momentum for Surrey's video on Facebook, but you can tell that's pretty much a result of ad money they're putting to get it on people's news feeds. By comparison I also started putting ad money into a video on my opposition campaign's FB page for the first time, and it's gotten twice as far with several times as many views, likes and shares - and that's with both paid and significant organic reach.

If the LRT system was supported so well by the federal Liberals, they would be practically fearless in talking about funding it and doing so at every opportunity. But Minister Sohi didn't make that commitment when he visited on Friday. I'm working on a response to Frank's column on my blog right now, which I'm hoping to submit as a response letter.

(I also responded in the other thread on Kevin Desmond promoting Seattle's LRT system; there is absolutely no chance this would result in (additional) momentum for Surrey's LRT, because the SkyTrain vs LRT debate doesn't even exist in Seattle. I can imagine him promoting rail transit in general, but an on-street LRT - given Seattle has actually been moving away from "on-street" like MLK Blvd in its future LRT extensions? I don't think so).

• 1 month later...

Line 410 needs to see the addition of artics during the peak hours, line 403 needs to see the return of artics on weekends

The main reason they don't block Artics out on the 410 is because of the turn out of 22nd street loop which can bottom out the buses. Also they have 7-10 min service on 410 in peak hours they don't need aritcs it's a waste of resources. I rather see them on the 480,49,620 cause that's where there needed most. The 40fts get the job done just fine and usually there only a full seated loads with a few standees every trip out of 22nd Also too much interlining on 410 blocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main reason they don't block Artics out on the 410 is because of the turn out of 22nd street loop which can bottom out the buses. Also they have 7-10 min service on 410 in peak hours they don't need aritcs it's a waste of resources. I rather see them on the 480,49,620 cause that's where there needed most. The 40fts get the job done just fine and usually there only a full seated loads with a few standees every trip out of 22nd Also too much interlining on 410 blocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen artics on the 410 before so they are not a problem at 22nd st. The 7-10 min frequency isn't frequent enough on that route during peak hours using 40fts. Having artics on the route during the peak hours can bring the frequency down to 10-15 mins without problems freeing up 40fts for over routes. As a frequent 410 passenger I've had up to 3 pass ups in a row on that route during both the morning and afternoon peak hours that has caused me to be late for work/appointments too many times. Also the interlining of the route isn't a problem with the artics as I'm sure the stops for the 401, 402, 407 which all interline with the 410 can accommodate artics.

The 410 is also going to HTC in September so it will either be by itself or interlined with some of the routes at 22nd station.

I think splitting the 410 at brighouse would be a great idea and it is something that is brought up frequently, but I think enough people ride through to make it a tough decision to make. If it was split at brighouse, then it could also be interlined with the 430 which will also be running out of HTC.

The 410 route allows for artics without issue, I've driven the full route when I was route training for RTC. The 410 is one of those routes that needs frequency over capacity, but an artic every other trip during peak hours would help. Maybe those trips could be short turn trips to brighouse and back only.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I was at RTC for 2014 and did the 403 the odd time on weekends with an artic. It was busy, but I never had a full artic. They switched to 40 footers for a few weekends for whatever reason and while my D40LF was near full, I never passed up and I don't think any other 403's passed up either. It's one of those routes that almost fills a 40 footer, but doesn't have enough capacity to justify an artic.

I can't say what's better cost wise, near full 40 foot diesels or seated load hybrid artic. The powers that be would rather have buses with near full loads rather than buses that are half empty. With 40 footers, they can also interline the 403 with the 401 and 404 at riverport.

Sent from my SM-T817W using Tapatalk