Jump to content

Thompson Transit


Recommended Posts

Pretty sad really that even with months of notice the City of Thompson couldn't have something in place on time.

Service ends 31 October 2018 as operator Greyhound pulls out. The earliest City Council can even discuss what to do next is 13 November 2018. And even if they pick one of the two bidders that day, the winner will need to set-up, hire drivers and mechanics, and possibly locate and acquire suitable buses.

Stories are the NFI D35LFRs owned by the City of Thompson are experiencing the same troubles that earlier beset their Brandon and Winnipeg siblings, and Greyhound was substituting highway coaches on transit runs. Any new operator will need a plan to address the situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The City of Thompson's administration has recommended that Council enter into an agreement with Maple Bus Lines to operate Thompson Transit.

https://www.thompsoncitizen.net/news/thompson/council-voting-feb-4-on-entering-agreement-with-maple-bus-lines-to-provide-transit-services-1.23622049

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

City announces new transit plan with weekday-only service

Finally Thompson is looking set to restore transit service in the new future. The Transit Committee has agreed to a new route network, with one weekday route supplemented by an "express" route in peak hours. The express bus will do handi-transit service during the off hours. New cutaway-style buses will be purchased. The proposal still needs to go out to tender, so it will likely still be a few more months until service resumes.

In the meantime, the local school district has contracted Maple Bus Lines to operate a limited two-route service enabling students to get to and from the local high school. This will be funded on a daily basis until a permanent municipal service returns.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2019 at 1:16 PM, doug_oak said:

No indication from the article whether there are plans to retain the two D35LFR - a very rare bus in Canada with only 9 ever purchased.   If their work in Thompson is over, they might be a fit in Brandon, where the other 7 are located.

That would be interesting if they ended up in Brandon...having worked for Brandon Transit and driven a D35LFR, they  were easier to operate, they felt like a sports car compared to a 40' bus.

If the driver had a choice of buses to operate, (on occasion we did) they/we always chose a D35LFR.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2019 at 2:16 PM, doug_oak said:

No indication from the article whether there are plans to retain the two D35LFR - a very rare bus in Canada with only 9 ever purchased.   If their work in Thompson is over, they might be a fit in Brandon, where the other 7 are located.

I believe the D35LFRs are retired. The D35LFRs are also now 9 years old without a refurb, likely less-than-perfect maintenance, and judging by Brandon's experiences 2010 was not a great model year for ISL engines. Maple Bus Lines also used their own buses during the temporary contract.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2019 at 7:31 PM, Articulated said:

I believe the D35LFRs are retired. The D35LFRs are also now 9 years old without a refurb, likely less-than-perfect maintenance, and judging by Brandon's experiences 2010 was not a great model year for ISL engines. Maple Bus Lines also used their own buses during the temporary contract.

That's too bad. Brandon Transit would get a steal of a deal, and shall I dare say, even expand...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Articulated said:

Bringing this over from the Greyhound section of the forums:

 

The article mentions Greyhound having the contract before they pulled out which is perfect for the life after Greyhound thread which is why I put it where I did... is that not actually the case?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ns8401 said:

The article mentions Greyhound having the contract before they pulled out which is perfect for the life after Greyhound thread which is why I put it where I did... is that not actually the case?

Sorry if I created any confusion. I was just quoting your post in this thread in order to have the information in the main Thompson Transit thread as well, while still crediting you as the original poster and source of the information.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Articulated said:

Sorry if I created any confusion. I was just quoting your post in this thread in order to have the information in the main Thompson Transit thread as well, while still crediting you as the original poster and source of the information.

It’s ok, I realized what was going on after I posted. I didn’t realize Greyhound was into city transit up there... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

It’s ok, I realized what was going on after I posted. I didn’t realize Greyhound was into city transit up there... 

Greyhound Canada inherited the Thompson transit operating contract when it absorbed Grey Goose Bus Lines. 

(Technically, Laidlaw, parent company of Grey Goose, bought Greyhound and put them together, which is why the Grey Goose people here in Manitoba used to joke that Grey Goose bought Greyhound...)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 9 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...