Sign in to follow this  
CV92

BC Transit - Campbell River

Site selected for new Campbell River transit operations and maintenance facility

Aug 24, 2017

Campbell River - A site has been selected for the new BC Transit operations and maintenance facility in Campbell River, at 1150 Evergreen Road. The proposed new building will include features to support the introduction of compressed natural gas (CNG) technology.

And as noted in the Wiki already, Campbell River will have three 30' Vicinity buses in service soon.  A local radio station report notes that these buses will be in service beginning Monday, August 28 to coincide with the route and schedule changes taking effect that day.  The report also mentions that the new buses are replacing 18 year old buses. (presumably the 1999 30' Darts)

New buses arriving in Campbell River

Aug 24, 2017

Campbell River – Three new BC Transit Vicinity buses are coming to Campbell River this summer.

• Like 1

Vicinity #4041 is confirmed in operation.  I spotted it on the #1 route, then rode aboard on the #2.  I haven't seen 4042 or 4043 yet, and I'm not sure if Campbell River Transit has taken delivery of those as of yet.

It's nice to have a bus with effective air conditioning in Campbell River!  I also appreciated the ample legroom in the raised floor section.  The 30' Dart buses are my nemesis- especially in the seats over the rear wheels.  I sat in the same position on the Vicinity and there's only a slight hump in the floor at one's feet.  There was plenty of room for my feet and backpack in front of me, and my knees were neither touching the seat in front nor were they uncomfortably elevated.  I found the seat backs very supportive and comfortable.  The placement of the stop buttons along the window rail was a little disconcerting as I'm used to them only being located on the aisle side.  Subjectively, I think there was more interior engine noise at idle than with the Darts, but certainly much less at accelerating and cruising speeds.  Upshifts and downshifts were also dramatically smoother than the Allison-equipped Darts.

Edited by greblos
Fixed typo on route number
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, greblos said:

Vicinity #4041 is confirmed in operation.  I spotted it on the #1 route, then rode aboard on the #2.  I haven't seen 4042 or 4043 yet, and I'm not sure if Campbell River Transit has taken delivery of those as of yet.

It's nice to have a bus with effective air conditioning in Campbell River!  I also appreciated the ample legroom in the raised floor section.  The 30' Dart buses are my nemesis- especially in the seats over the rear wheels.  I sat in the same position on the Vicinity and there's only a slight hump in the floor at one's feet.  There was plenty of room for my feet and backpack in front of me, and my knees were neither touching the seat in front nor were they uncomfortably elevated.  I found the seat backs very supportive and comfortable.  The placement of the stop buttons along the window rail was a little disconcerting as I'm used to them only being located on the aisle side.  Subjectively, I think there was more interior engine noise at idle than with the Darts, but certainly much less at accelerating and cruising speeds.  Upshifts and downshifts were also dramatically smoother than the Allison-equipped Darts.

Firstly, it's nice to see a member from Campbell River join this site! There hasn't been many updates since I only go up there every few years. 

I rode a 30-foot Dart for the first time last week when I was up there. I sat up front so I couldn't comment on the legroom, but the seating area was quite different compared to the 35' Darts.

I recall the air conditioning working on Campbell River's buses. I can't comment since I don't live there, but it's hard to say whether they're broken or the operator just doesn't know how to use the HVAC system. It's the same in Victoria, the small community D40LFs have HVAC but it never gets used. 

I only rode a Vicinity in Victoria (4061) and didn't really like it, the transmission was abrupt to downshift but it was quiet compared to a Dart. Then again every bus is different.  

Just came back from a week's holiday in Campbell River. Here's what I observed: 

9910, 9911, 9941 are retired 
4041-4043 are in service 
9076 and 9085 are the only two Darts in service
8117 was transferred to Victoria last year  
2367 and 2452 aren't in Campbell River (transferred out?) 

20180606_075153.jpg

20180606_075230.jpg

20180606_100646.jpg

20180606_135536.jpg