BC Transit - Campbell River

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

If anybody has been up to Campbell River recently, has anyone seen 8912 around?

I get the feeling it may be gone.... I believe someone mentioned somewhere that there are no longer any Classics left in service with BC Transit? I am trying to remember where I found that information.

But yes, it would be nice if someone could let us know if #8912 is still active or not so one of us can edit the WIKI: http://www.cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Campbell_River_Transit_System

• 2 months later...

Wiki edited with my findings from Campbell River these past few days.

It seems 9848-9850 have been transferred from somewhere. I've added them to the wiki.

IMG_0131.JPG

Didn't see 9749, but it might have been in the maintenance shops. 9910 and 9911 are still active.

According to the manager I spoke to, 607 and 8912 were scrapped last year. :(

However, I spotted ex. BC Transit 8908 out at an auto wreckers yard on Vigar Road! It's been spray-painted white on one side. The wrecker is using it for storage, but he did say he would let it go for a good price. The transmission is dead and it needs a new steering column, but the bus is fully intact otherwise. Anyone interested?

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Next week I am going to island. I am wondering what routes the D40LF and Darts operate on? What routes the Ford Polars operate on? Are the Dennis Darts in the new livery for BC Transit?

Last time I was in Campbell River, I only saw a Dart running on the 4 "Campbellton".

D40LFs are very common. You'll be guaranteed to see one.

The Darts are unique. both 30' and one is refurbished!

I don't believe they have any shuttle routes. I think the Polars are used for HandyDart.

Then some needs to change section that those are into the HandyDart fleet.

Noticed this in the Cowichan Wiki as well. They have never had "Shuttle" routes, and some units listed were retired before Community shuttles were invented. Such buses are more appropriately described as :"Custom/Paratransit Vehicles used in Conventional Service" or, in a case like Cranbrook Paratransit, which in the 1990s used ex Victoria 766, "Conventional Vehicles used in Custom/Paratransit service". A small bus is only a community shuttle when it is serving a route designated as such.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been like that since around late 2008 or early 2009. Probably just so mechanics or dispatch can tell them apart easily in the yard, i.e. "Take bus 49" instead of 9849, because in a small system like that it isn't all that often that two buses have the same two final digits in their fleet numbers. My memory of the Campbell River fleet is from 5 years ago but before they got 9849 and 9850, they had 9749.

Here's a pic of 9749 in 2008 before it had bumper numbers: http://www.trans-continental.ca/bc-transit/1996newflyerD40LF-AC/bct9749_crv-7A.jpg.php

And here's a pic I took a year later of the same bus with the number 49 on the bumper. http://www.trans-continental.ca/bc-transit/1996newflyerD40LF-AC/bct9749_crv_09.jpg.php

And here's 9749 running in Kelowna in 2013, after receiving a Balios sign, still with the number 49 on the bumper: http://www.trans-continental.ca/bc-transit/1996newflyerD40LF-AC/bct9749_kel_11.jpg.php

Back when I took those photos in Campbell River, their fleet consisted of two Darts (9910, 9911), marked "10" and "11" (9910 before and after receiving its two-digit front number), 9749, 9853-9856 which I assume didn't receive their bumper numbers until after they were refurbished, 610 which ran on special trips only, and 607 which I suspect was a last-resort spare as I never ever saw it running.

• 2 years later...
On 7/19/2016 at 1:45 PM, Blue Bus Fan said:

Interesting... I suppose CNG's might work for Campbell River. From what I remember, it's pretty flat except for the #4. They'll likely order the CNG buses in 2017 to replace the 1998 D40LFs for 2018. 

1 minute ago, Matt Dunlop said:

Interesting... I suppose CNG's might work for Campbell River. From what I remember, it's pretty flat except for the #4. They'll likely order the CNG buses in 2017 to replace the 1998 D40LFs for 2018. 

I feel CNG buses will work fine in Campbell River.