Nova LFX Demo

Should be there most of the day, except when it's out on test drives with drivers.

From what I read:

9:00 - 10:00 Sitting inside Garage Annex, on display, for viewing

10:00 - 12:00 Noon Available for "test drives" with the NOVA Representative

12:00 - 2:00 (or maybe 3:00) Sitting inside Garage Annex again, for viewing.

I don't know who came up with the "schedule" because a lot of Drivers will be "out on the road" during those times!

The only opprotunity for anyone to see this on the road will probably be as it exits the Garage between 10 and Noon?

ALSO: Memo stated that the Region would not be considering Articulated buses before 2017! If that's the case why are we even looking at this now? I could see if the Region was thinking of purchasing some for the 2012 or 2013 NOVA Order, but not even considering it prior to 2017?? Hmmm??

ALSO: Memo stated that the Region would not be considering Articulated buses before 2017! If that's the case why are we even looking at this now? I could see if the Region was thinking of purchasing some for the 2012 or 2013 NOVA Order, but not even considering it prior to 2017?? Hmmm??

If GRT gets artics, wouldn't they have to mess around with several terminal layouts in order to even be able to get artics to fit in there? Around how long would that be estimated to take?

If GRT were to use artics on iXpress...

- Northbound bus bay at Davis Centre would need to been expanded

Forget about the bus bay, there needs to be a new terminal at Davis Centre. The current hub is a big fail.

I was thinking of the parking lot to the north of Engineering 5, that can be converted somewhat to a terminal. I know one of the Planning projects in UW was to redesign the DC hub.

Forget about the bus bay, there needs to be a new terminal at Davis Centre. The current hub is a big fail.

Well, that, or get most of the buses out of Ring Road altogether. But that would require a bit of a (useful, I think) redesign of the routes there. For that matter, Ring Road itself could use some redesigning.

- I think an artic could fit in one of the "new" bus bays at Conestoga Mall (the one closests to CIBC)

- Charles Street Terminal will be gone in a few years anyways

- Fairview Park Terminal needs to be rebuilt!!!

- A proper terminal needs to be built at Cambridge Centre

- Some sort of modification will be needed at Ainslie Street Terminal

That seems like a lot of work, just for a few articulated buses! Rebuild every Terminal in the Region just so an atriculated bus will 'fit'? No wonder it will be after 2017!

Well they could always load the Artics in front of the Bay, where the current 12/52 are, and then move the Ixpress from there and apperently when the LRT/BRT is built they terminal ig going to be moved across the street to the old Record land.

The northbound Davis centre was built wrong in the first place both sides have admitted that (not thier fault apperently) Conestoga Mall could be where that island is off to the right of the terminal or it might fit into that last platform.

Point is there are so many options avialable it could go anywhere.

Strrasburg expansion is approved and funded but they can`t do anything untill the Cof Kitchener gets thier new facilities built and they move out of thier Chandler yard.

That's not correct. The plan is for the terminal to remain exactly where it is. LRT will run along the hydro corridor and into the parking lot to meet the terminal. One of the options up for consideration was on Fairway, but it's not the preferred option. If there were to be issues with the primary alignment then possibly that option could be revived, but I consider that unlikely. If that was to happen an overhead walkway to the mall would likely be constructed.

That's not correct. The plan is for the terminal to remain exactly where it is. LRT will run along the hydro corridor and into the parking lot to meet the terminal. One of the options up for consideration was on Fairway, but it's not the preferred option. If there were to be issues with the primary alignment then possibly that option could be revived, but I consider that unlikely. If that was to happen an overhead walkway to the mall would likely be constructed.

...Likely...

- I think an artic could fit in one of the "new" bus bays at Conestoga Mall (the one closests to CIBC)

- Charles Street Terminal will be gone in a few years anyways

- Fairview Park Terminal needs to be rebuilt!!!

- A proper terminal needs to be built at Cambridge Centre

- Some sort of modification will be needed at Ainslie Street Terminal

Another question ........ when will the Strasburg Garage expansions begin? Is it even funded?

More points to consider...

- New maintenance facilites are required for artics, facilities that will NOT be part of the Strasburg Garage Expansion (hence the after 2017 timeline

- Every bus stop on every route where artics would be put to use would need to be reviewed and possibly adjusted, can't have a 62' bus stop at a stop that's only 40' beyond the intersection afterall or Door #3 would be in the middle of the side street.

On another related note, I did in fact get to drive the LFX for about 30min (HEHE :lol: ) and rode it around for a few hours after as well while other operators drove. It is a beautiful bus IMO in every respect; I purposly went off the "test-route" (which was Strasburg, Block Line, Westmount, Ottawa...all straight lines) and ran the bus on part of the Route 11 from Kingswood and Strasburg through Forest Glen Terminal and back again to test the cornering abiliities of the bus, and can safely say that the artics would be able to handle 99.9% of the routes in the Region (the exception perhaps being the Margaret-Union tilt-a-whirl), I was amazed at how little (almost no) adjustment in driving habits were needed to handle the LFX.

That being all said, the transit planners and the transit schedulers did ride on the bus as well and even took detailed measurments to allow for the design of proper platforms and bus stop pads that will accomodate the artics, so in that respect I believe they are planning to get them eventually, it's just a metter of time.

Until today I never thought I'd fall in love with a bus, LOL.

More points to consider...

- New maintenance facilites are required for artics, facilities that will NOT be part of the Strasburg Garage Expansion (hence the after 2017 timeline

- Every bus stop on every route where artics would be put to use would need to be reviewed and possibly adjusted, can't have a 62' bus stop at a stop that's only 40' beyond the intersection afterall or Door #3 would be in the middle of the side street.

On another related note, I did in fact get to drive the LFX for about 30min (HEHE :lol: ) and rode it around for a few hours after as well while other operators drove. It is a beautiful bus IMO in every respect; I purposly went off the "test-route" (which was Strasburg, Block Line, Westmount, Ottawa...all straight lines) and ran the bus on part of the Route 11 from Kingswood and Strasburg through Forest Glen Terminal and back again to test the cornering abiliities of the bus, and can safely say that the artics would be able to handle 99.9% of the routes in the Region (the exception perhaps being the Margaret-Union tilt-a-whirl), I was amazed at how little (almost no) adjustment in driving habits were needed to handle the LFX.

That being all said, the transit planners and the transit schedulers did ride on the bus as well and even took detailed measurments to allow for the design of proper platforms and bus stop pads that will accomodate the artics, so in that respect I believe they are planning to get them eventually, it's just a metter of time.

Until today I never thought I'd fall in love with a bus, LOL.

I got to drive for a few minutes myself and my thoughts were also positive. The only thing I wasn't a fan of were the mirrors, but once the standard GRT mirrors were installed, this would be an excellent addition to the fleet.

Margaret - Union would definitely be difficult. I was curious how it would do from Ontario to King.

Like experiences in every other city with slinky buses, if you carry twice as many people it takes longer to get from A to B.

The only reason I can see for that would be loading time at the front door. If these are used only on express routes and with a proof-of-payment system, it will run just fine.

The only reason I can see for that would be loading time at the front door. If these are used only on express routes and with a proof-of-payment system, it will run just fine.

Agreed. I was referring to regular routes like in Mississauga or Hamilton. Put one on Mainline and you are toast with the current running times.

Agreed. I was referring to regular routes like in Mississauga or Hamilton. Put one on Mainline and you are toast with the current running times.

The only problem with loading times is that people keep using the front door to exit the bus! Use the back/centre door and things will be alot smoother, I guarentee it.

Does that mean no aBRT for Cambridge before 2017? I heard someone not too long ago saying that the Cambridge aBRT could be up and running as soon as 2011 ........ I guess if that were true they'd probably just use some Orion 7 with a giant 'THIS IS A BRT BUS' logo on the side until 2017 ...

I doubt the 2011 thing, Sorry buddy!! and why put money into a logo that says " THIS IS A BRT BUS" when the Destination Sign can do it as a P/R for free?!? ahahah!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was interesting...

http://www.region.waterloo.on.ca/web/regio...pdf?openelement

GRT currently operates two facilities with a combined storage for 227 conventional transit buses. The Kitchener facility on Strasburg Rd has storage for 165 buses and the Cambridge facility on Conestoga Blvd has storage for 62 buses. The expansion of the Strasburg Rd facility will increase the combined storage to 312 conventional transit buses. The Regional Transportation Master Plan forecasts the transit fleet will grow to 429 conventional buses (12 meters) and 172 articulated buses (19 meters) by 2031. The introduction of articulated buses is expected in 2017. The 2008 Transit Facilities Strategy Update is being updated to reflect the RTMP requirements and will outline facility options to accommodate this expected fleet growth including the introduction of articulated buses.