• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Remember when we explained to you in great detail why you cannot just say fire people because you don't like something? Time to reflect on that again. If you truly think that the CEO resigning has any

BC transit (Victoria) makes a bold move and buys 28 used fareboxes from a facebook group, saving $300,000 along the way https://www.goldstreamgazette.com/news/b-c-transit-saves-300000-scores-28-u

Inside tour of the new buses  

Posted Images

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-transit-bus-shelter-funding

BC Transit and the communities it serves are putting together a collective $5 millionowards... bus shelters. I guess it's infrastructure. Picky me, I'd want better service, but I guess places to wait the hour until the next bus shows up is good too. 

The fact that some of them have glass rooves... nope. If I'm at a bus shelter on a hot sunny day, the last thing I want is a miniature greenhouse to sit in. I want shade. Aesthetic over function I guess.

I'm curious how long publicly accessible, outdoor USB ports will last. The other question I have is how do visual stop request indicators work at bus stops? How does the light know to turn off when the bus comes? Will every one of them need to be connected to the NextRide system to know when a bus has stopped at a stop and picked up passengers? I'm all for it but clarification on the technology would be appreciated. 

All in all, in my books, money to transit is money well spent. I can gripe all I want but it's more than nothing. Passengers being comfortable and safe is always important.

• Like 3
On 3/3/2021 at 9:16 PM, InfiNorth said:

Picky me, I'd want better service, but I guess places to wait the hour until the next bus shows up is good too. 

From what I've seen from recent transit commission meetings it seems like COVID differed expansions will resume in January for Victoria so long as the province funds it. The Feb 23rd meeting had an annual service plan presented, which includes a mildly longer evening service span on the 3 and 10, and the 46 getting midday and early evening service starting in April, along with June's 53 re-route. I guess hourly service still applies, but at least it's a start. :P

Here's a link to the specific document, and the meeting overall. I'd like to see more expansion than just the deferred hours, but hopefully 2022/2023 will see an acceleration.

• Like 2

I just saw 9532. Shame that the fence was on the bottom of a 50 degree incline that I'd likely slip and injure myself if I went down, so sorry for the fence in the shot.

20210313_121122.jpg

• Like 1

I have no idea on unit number - maybe it's the one photographed above - but there's been a new decker there for a couple weeks. Hopefully they're on the road soon! 

36 minutes ago, Dane said:

I have no idea on unit number - maybe it's the one photographed above - but there's been a new decker there for a couple weeks. Hopefully they're on the road soon! 

I believe 9532 is still the only one of this series to have been delivered, so the one you've mentioned that has been there for a few weeks would be the same one. I did not see other buses newer than 9532 there. The build dates of this series ranges from late 2020 to 1Q 2021.

16 hours ago, anyfong said:

I believe 9532 is still the only one of this series to have been delivered, so the one you've mentioned that has been there for a few weeks would be the same one. I did not see other buses newer than 9532 there. The build dates of this series ranges from late 2020 to 1Q 2021.

How many of these units is Victoria getting? Enough to replace the ten OG tridents or will it be a fleet expansion?

1 hour ago, InfiNorth said:

How many of these units is Victoria getting? Enough to replace the ten OG tridents or will it be a fleet expansion?

10 this year to directly replace the Tridents. There may be more in the coming years though.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.bctransit.com/victoria/news?nid=1529712017059

Victoria is going to be getting 15 more CNG Vicinity Buses which will probably send the remaining Diesel Vicintys to replace the 2013 27.5ft Vicinity's.

They're also going to be refurbishing the North Side of UVic Exchange and the stops on Ring Road

Also, the first 2020 Enviro500 (9533) went into service yesterday on the 50

• Like 2
On 3/31/2021 at 10:26 AM, Geofferoski said:

They're also going to be refurbishing the North Side of UVic Exchange and the stops on Ring Road

Also, the first 2020 Enviro500 (9533) went into service yesterday on the 50

Maybe we'll get a bus stop at Continuing Ed/Carsa and they'll balance the stops around the rest better... it frustrates me that there is no stop near the stadium but two stops like 100m apart on the West side of the Ring Road and no stop at ECS for inbound buses.

capture.thumb.PNG.87e658a26e1bff6813f6c07957340217.PNG

I saw a new decker during my commute (by car... working in Deep Cove makes commuting by bus from Gordon head a non-option) yesterday morning, turning right off SB Pat Bay onto WB Beacon. Any idea what on earth a decker would be doing there? Doesn't the 71 go into Sidney? It was also out of service.