Victoria Regional Transit System

3 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

48.427491, -123.358140

The BC Transit sign has been completely removed but the shelter and timetable are still in place.

The sign is the easy one to take down; just need a worker with a ladder and a wrench. Removing the shelter typically requires a vehicle with a crane to lift the shelter out of place. The pole with the schedule might also be too heavy, or the remainder of the base would pose a tripping hazard for pedestrians; therefore, easier to leave the tall pole in place until the ground can be repaired.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 4:25 PM, InfiNorth said:

48.427491, -123.358140

The BC Transit sign has been completely removed but the shelter and timetable are still in place.

As far as I was aware, that stop has closed indefinitely but not permanently. Last time I went through there the sign had only been bagged, has it now been completely removed?

On 8/26/2020 at 12:28 PM, InfiNorth said:

Do you know why they'd bother? Did they happen to have a Flyer that they were scrapping with an old orange sign? I didn't think they cared that much about aesthetic.

Any idea if the 39 will be a frequent route again this year or will it be left at half-hourly service as it historically was as UVIC will see a drastic reduction of attendance? It's a bit sad to see the 16 out of service, it was a lot more convenient to get to Uptown for a transfer to the 70/71/72 for the ferry than the slow and ponderous 26 and 39 (to Royal Oak).

They did put the old sign back in 9437, although I think it may have been its original as opposed to from a scrap bus. 

The 39 will have 15 minute service between UVic and Royal Oak during the AM and PM peak, which I believe is what it was pre-Covid.

On another unrelated note - after not being "Sorry" for over a decade, Victoria buses once again align with the rest of the Province and apologize for being out of service.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CV92 said:

On another unrelated note - after not being "Sorry" for over a decade, Victoria buses once again align with the rest of the Province and apologize for being out of service.

Why was this done, do you know? I just remember seeing jokes back in high school (when I lived in Vancouver) that ridiculed BC buses for saying "Sorry," which I had assumed all buses everywhere did. It's also a little odd since "SORRY, NOT IN SERVICE" requires two "slides" on the board rather than a static, single-line of text. Do our buses currently say "SORRY BUS FULL" or just "BUS FULL" right now? 

15 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

Why was this done, do you know? I just remember seeing jokes back in high school (when I lived in Vancouver) that ridiculed BC buses for saying "Sorry," which I had assumed all buses everywhere did. It's also a little odd since "SORRY, NOT IN SERVICE" requires two "slides" on the board rather than a static, single-line of text. Do our buses currently say "SORRY BUS FULL" or just "BUS FULL" right now? 

Just my guess, but I suspect it's an effort to soften the sting to the prospective passenger that's just had an empty bus pass them by. It's more of a Canadian thing...not every agency but there's a number of them outside of BC that also include the "SORRY" part. The bus full sign has been "SORRY BUS FULL" for as long as I can remember. We used to have "SORRY DROP OFF ONLY" but was changed to say "DROP OFF ONLY" circa 2015.

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the SHORTEST route in Victoria is the 43 Royal Roads. 13 minute full trip from Colwood Exchange to Royal Roads and back. 

Seeing as it's such a quick route, why can't the 52 just go through Royal Roads? Or even have the 52 go through Royal Roads on the way towards Colwood Exchange, and then not enter it at all towards Bear Mountain (Royal Roads students could walk to Sooke Rd/Aldeane to catch it). As it is, the 43 is almost a waste of a route as it only runs 4 times a day or so. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Matt Dunlop said:

As it is, the 43 is almost a waste of a route as it only runs 4 times a day or so. 

Try twice. Also, as for it being the shortest route... It's definitely in close competition with the 13. 

13 Ten Mile Point/UVIC: 6.2km, 14 minutes

43 Belmont Park: 4.2, 13 Minutes

On 9/1/2020 at 2:04 PM, InfiNorth said:

Try twice. Also, as for it being the shortest route... It's definitely in close competition with the 13. 

13 Ten Mile Point/UVIC: 6.2km, 14 minutes

43 Belmont Park: 4.2, 13 Minutes

Ok. Wow! I haven't really looked at the times for the 43 in a while, but I swear it used to run once in the AM, and three times in the PM. I know the operator who does the morning one (it's tied into his 52 paddle) and I think the afternoon 43 is tied into a 53 paddle. 

I'd say the 43 is the least serviced route in transit then (for now). They added ONE trip next signup, but still, they used to have service every hour or so in Belmont Park. No wonder so many people drive to the base. 

I spoke to an operator today and he said the 52 should go towards Bear Mountain SKIPPING Royal Roads loop (straight down Sooke Rd) and then going back to Colwood Exchange, it should go down the back way of Bear Mountain towards Leigh Road (where nothing services), and then fully service Royal Roads (turning off Sooke Rd towards the exchange) May be a good idea for the future, as the 56/57 can service Millstream area. If the 52 turned off Sooke Rd and fully services Royal Roads University one way, it would increase service for those people, and only miss ONE STOP (Sooke Rd at Aldeane in front of Royal Roads Cafe/Maxwells Barber). 

• Like 1

Those wishing to acquire a printed copy of the current Riders Guide can do so at the Transit main office during business hours. My sources also say that they will be available at various locations around town such as public libraries, recreation centres, malls, and information centres before the end of the month.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CV92 said:

Those wishing to acquire a printed copy of the current Riders Guide can do so at the Transit main office during business hours. My sources also say that they will be available at various locations around town such as public libraries, recreation centres, malls, and information centres before the end of the month.

Well, I guess I have an excuse good long walk once this "weather" clears up...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CV92 said:

https://www.bctransit.com/media/releases-and-advisories?nid=1529710453160

From this morning. End of the Dart era in Victoria. No more Arbocs in conventional service either (for real this time). 

I only ever rode on a Dart once, and it was on a whim (saw a 2 approaching the stop, rode it for one stop only). 

9 hours ago, CV92 said:

https://www.bctransit.com/media/releases-and-advisories?nid=1529710453160

From this morning. End of the Dart era in Victoria. No more Arbocs in conventional service either (for real this time). 

Happy about the Arbocs finally being done (last one was out July 31st or so). Sad and glad the Darts are gone... they weren't great buses but they weren't horrible either. They served their purpose when they worked properly. 

• 1 month later...

Found a stop error and reported it to BC Transit yesterday - was waiting at 100645 for the 26 towards UVIC and glanced down at the schedule placard... to see a schedule towards the dockyards. Looking closer I found it was for 100643, the one across the street. I didn't have a chance to see if they had been accidentally switched as my bus came right when I noticed. Still, a little irritating as anyone who wasn't super observant would get frustrated by the lack of apparent accuracy. I'll check on it in a few days, I haven't yet heard back from BC Transit.

So yesterday around 2pm I saw the hybrid double decker on Metchosin road somewhere between Painter and Wishart. Going towards Sooke Road, away from Metchosin/Royal Bay. It wasn't in service. Anyone have any ideas why a decker would be there? Never seen one south of Sooke road before with the 48 being the only route that doesn't regularly run Vicinities (though the 52 regularly runs at least one NX40). No depots or anything either.

Could they possibly be investigating running deckers to idk Royal Bay or something?
I didn't get to see much of where it came from or went after as I was walking and even if I wanted to follow it, I can't run at 50km/h lol.

2 hours ago, SomeIslandKid said:

So yesterday around 2pm I saw the hybrid double decker on Metchosin road somewhere between Painter and Wishart. Going towards Sooke Road, away from Metchosin/Royal Bay. It wasn't in service. Anyone have any ideas why a decker would be there? Never seen one south of Sooke road before with the 48 being the only route that doesn't regularly run Vicinities (though the 52 regularly runs at least one NX40). No depots or anything either.

Could they possibly be investigating running deckers to idk Royal Bay or something?
I didn't get to see much of where it came from or went after as I was walking and even if I wanted to follow it, I can't run at 50km/h lol.

As yesterday was Saturday, it was most likely just on a road test by a mechanic. 

• Like 3