MCW Metrobus

Victoria Regional Transit System

Lots of pictures on Facebook of D40LFs going off with Totem Towing to be dropped off at bus after-life. That combined with more XN40 on the road, I thought 9753 might be done for. Personally I hadn't seen it for about 2 weeks. 

But today, I saw it in service! It keeps going and going and going. 

I hope I get one last chance to ride a D40LF before they're all retired. Haven't been going out much cause COVID, but I always liked the 90s charm to them. The interior at night hits some retro-future big city vibes for me while the Nova's hit some less exciting 2000s vibes. The one  time I got on an XN40 it just felt modern, which can feed into a newer sci-fi feel, but it's different. In a similar vein the Vicinities also hit some more modern sci-fi feel at times, but it's not the nostalgic charm of the Darts. Modern emissions standards and lower maintenance requirements are for the best in both cases however.

• Like 1

Both 8105 and 9753 are alive and well. 9702 not so much. Barring something unexpected, June 1 was the last day of service for the Arbocs and Darts on fixed-route transit service in Victoria. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, CV92 said:

June 1 was the last day of service for the Arbocs and Darts

That's sad. The darts are something I came to associate with Victoria because, prior to moving here, I'd never seen them before. Are they getting sent out to become headaches for other neglected transit systems elsewhere in the province?

Oh well I guess that's an unexpected goodbye to the Darts. I'm not even sure when the last time I rode one was. Oh well my feelings on them are a bit mixed since I didn't get to ride them that much. I liked the interior more than the Vincinities, but they kinda seemed like they're falling apart. Whatever one they ran on the Triangle Mountain loop had the rear route sign constantly flickering on and off with every bump in the road. Had a simplistic charm to it, that I might be the only to appreciate lol.

Now for the Arbocs, finally! The only good thing I can say about them as a passenger is that the radio was cool. But they were brutal running full along Happy Valley rd and probably a source of a lot of lost ridership that won't be recovered without service expansion. Standing on them wasn't really a good time either, which some drivers did despite it being illegal. One guy was like "crouch so the police don't see" and yeah I have no positive feelings towards them. Also they always smelled weird when I first regularly started taking transit in fall 2017. That got fixed, but ugh. And finally the lack of night time bike racks wasn't great especially if say someone gets a flat tire or doesn't have lights. Also with the Westshore having poor or non-existent bike infrastructure, night bike racks help people's mobility.

I guess the other plus side was that the Arbocs made talking to the driver relatively easy, though it's not too difficult on the Vincinties nor 40fters, at least without COVID restrictions. The protective barriers will be interesting to see, but oh well safety first.

17 hours ago, CV92 said:

Both 8105 and 9753 are alive and well. 9702 not so much. Barring something unexpected, June 1 was the last day of service for the Arbocs and Darts on fixed-route transit service in Victoria. 

Yep, I was looking by LTC Monday morning, there were 8 Arbocs in a row parked along the back wall. I did see one Dart near the entrance to LTC (0228) but I think it's likely the last active one now. Since Monday they haven't been out. j

I believe 9702 is done. It hasn't been on the road for 3 weeks. 8105 could be next as a ton of Flyers are retiring, including 9800s. 

19 hours ago, SomeIslandKid said:

I hope I get one last chance to ride a D40LF before they're all retired. 

The Flyers are still out there, especially since VTC doesn't have many new buses (aside from the 2015 Novas and 35-foot Vicinitys). 

8 hours ago, SomeIslandKid said:

Oh well I guess that's an unexpected goodbye to the Darts. I'm not even sure when the last time I rode one was. Oh well my feelings on them are a bit mixed since I didn't get to ride them that much. I liked the interior more than the Vincinities, but they kinda seemed like they're falling apart. Whatever one they ran on the Triangle Mountain loop had the rear route sign constantly flickering on and off with every bump in the road. Had a simplistic charm to it, that I might be the only to appreciate lol.

Now for the Arbocs, finally! The only good thing I can say about them as a passenger is that the radio was cool. But they were brutal running full along Happy Valley rd and probably a source of a lot of lost ridership that won't be recovered without service expansion. Standing on them wasn't really a good time either, which some drivers did despite it being illegal. One guy was like "crouch so the police don't see" and yeah I have no positive feelings towards them. Also they always smelled weird when I first regularly started taking transit in fall 2017. That got fixed, but ugh. And finally the lack of night time bike racks wasn't great especially if say someone gets a flat tire or doesn't have lights. Also with the Westshore having poor or non-existent bike infrastructure, night bike racks help people's mobility.

I guess the other plus side was that the Arbocs made talking to the driver relatively easy, though it's not too difficult on the Vincinties nor 40fters, at least without COVID restrictions. The protective barriers will be interesting to see, but oh well safety first.

Darts used to be very common on my local route, the 56/57, however they have been putting 30-foot Vicinitys on that route since this new schedule change. 

Regarding the Arbocs, they should have been used to begin with as LAST RESORT buses, or TRIPPER buses, such as the 1, 35, 43, etc. They shouldn't have been put on all-day paddles, but they were. It's like what the MCI's should have been doing, kept on the road as LAST RESORT buses. 

One driver told me that the highest mileage Arboc had 390,000 km and the lowest mileage Arboc had 305,000 km. So they've had lots of miles put on them in 6 years. 

• Like 1

Caught a bus the other day taking me directly to the data centre that manages NextRide. No, tha I fully it didn't read this out number by number. 

20200609_153650.jpg

• Like 2

Excuse me, do you stop at 169.172.59? 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 10:43 AM, Matt Dunlop said:

Regarding the Arbocs, they should have been used to begin with as LAST RESORT buses, or TRIPPER buses, such as the 1, 35, 43, etc. They shouldn't have been put on all-day paddles, but they were. It's like what the MCI's should have been doing, kept on the road as LAST RESORT buses. 

One driver told me that the highest mileage Arboc had 390,000 km and the lowest mileage Arboc had 305,000 km. So they've had lots of miles put on them in 6 years. 

First of all, I look forward to learning something new today: What do you mean by tripper? I understand last resort, but what is tripper? Does that mean it's not part of a standard driver's shift that then transitions to yet another route right after?

I'm glad I managed to ride on a Dart for the first (and last) time right before the pandemic. Sad that they're gone, I like how awfully simple they are: Even more of a box on wheels than the (old) Flyers. The weird teal bars were also a nice weird touch to make them unique. And about the Arbocs, to be honest, for a bus that seems like low mileage... anyone have any idea what the mileage of, say, some of the mid-90s Flyers is? I mean, my nine-year-old SUV has 265,000 km on it.

1 hour ago, InfiNorth said:

First of all, I look forward to learning something new today: What do you mean by tripper? I understand last resort, but what is tripper? Does that mean it's not part of a standard driver's shift that then transitions to yet another route right after?

I'm glad I managed to ride on a Dart for the first (and last) time right before the pandemic. Sad that they're gone, I like how awfully simple they are: Even more of a box on wheels than the (old) Flyers. The weird teal bars were also a nice weird touch to make them unique. And about the Arbocs, to be honest, for a bus that seems like low mileage... anyone have any idea what the mileage of, say, some of the mid-90s Flyers is? I mean, my nine-year-old SUV has 265,000 km on it.

In broad terms, trippers are short pieces of work/short vehicle blocks that typically only run one or two trips during the peak rush hour period. 

An average 20-year old Flyer would be between 1 and 1.5 million kilometres. (Edit: I originally said 1.5-2 million km based on an old Riders Guide from when the deckers were new, but revised it down based on realistic yearly mileage for the Victoria system and the fact that the average Flyer does a lot less highway driving than the average decker.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sadly, we have two Arbocs back in service and one Dart. 

2531 Arboc is on a tripper (52, 57, 56) 
2507 Arboc is on a full Peninsula AM piece (83, 85, 87, 88)

0227 Dart is on an all-day piece (3, 10) 

1 hour ago, Matt Dunlop said:

Sadly, we have two Arbocs back in service and one Dart. 

2531 Arboc is on a tripper (52, 57, 56) 
2507 Arboc is on a full Peninsula AM piece (83, 85, 87, 88)

0227 Dart is on an all-day piece (3, 10) 

Too many Vicinities out of service or something? 

8 minutes ago, InfiNorth said:

Too many Vicinities out of service or something? 

No idea why. I do know that 4458 and 4459 haven't been tracking for 2 weeks and they're out of VTC. ALL the Arbocs have had their plates pulled off at VTC. As for the Dart, I thought VTC had none left. \

I sent an e-mail to transit suggesting that they should bring the 3000-series Vicinitys out to Victoria. They are close to the end of their life actually, and we could use them for the lower-ridership routes like 53, 63, 64, 82-88. 

• Like 1

Just an update, there was an Arboc out yesterday (2507) on a Peninsula piece but none out today. 

Anybody know when and if the Arbocs will ever retire

• Like 1

Any word on when/if BC Transit will start printing Rider's Guides again... or even providing them in PDF form? I'll be honest, the fact that you absolutely need internet connectivity to get bus schedules is an accessibility issue - not everyone can afford data on their phones, not everyone even has internet at home. Especially with infrequent routes like 52, 53, 64... you can't just show up at a stop and wait. You have to know ahead of time. 

• Like 2

It’s probably temporary, once ridership and funding is more predictable then schedules can be stabilized

23 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

Any word on when/if BC Transit will start printing Rider's Guides again... or even providing them in PDF form? I'll be honest, the fact that you absolutely need internet connectivity to get bus schedules is an accessibility issue - not everyone can afford data on their phones, not everyone even has internet at home. Especially with infrequent routes like 52, 53, 64... you can't just show up at a stop and wait. You have to know ahead of time. 

Probably not until the next schedule change in 2 months (September). Hopefully by then, schools will be in and there will be a need for more buses and an actual schedule, not this Saturday service from Monday-Saturday. It's kind of ironic how BC Transit has started putting "please wear a mask" on every bus as well as "face coverings are encouraged onboard" on the announcements. The cases are way down. 

On 6/27/2020 at 11:42 AM, InfiNorth said:

We started handing out Riders Guides here again last week. We've had them printed though since March. Just before Covid became a problem. 

52 minutes ago, Matt Dunlop said:

Probably not until the next schedule change in 2 months (September). Hopefully by then, schools will be in and there will be a need for more buses and an actual schedule, not this Saturday service from Monday-Saturday. It's kind of ironic how BC Transit has started putting "please wear a mask" on every bus as well as "face coverings are encouraged onboard" on the announcements. The cases are way down. 

Cases are down. But one look at the US (plus some other countries) and you realize how quickly cases could explode here. The government is clearly trying to get ahead of that happening. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Iron said:

We started handing out Riders Guides here again last week. We've had them printed though since March. Just before Covid became a problem. 

Cases are down. But one look at the US (plus some other countries) and you realize how quickly cases could explode here. The government is clearly trying to get ahead of that happening. 

By "here" I'm assuming you mean Vernon. Our bus stops don't even have bus times on the boards right now, literally the only way to find out when a bus is coming is to go to the BC Transit website. And Matt, I have to say, the reason our cases are down is because we've been so proactive. It kind of bothers me how when I get on a bus now I'm the only person wearing a mask.

3 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

By "here" I'm assuming you mean Vernon. Our bus stops don't even have bus times on the boards right now, literally the only way to find out when a bus is coming is to go to the BC Transit website. And Matt, I have to say, the reason our cases are down is because we've been so proactive. It kind of bothers me how when I get on a bus now I'm the only person wearing a mask.

I've only seen 1 driver wear a mask, and that's because he had a cold and didn't want to spread it around. Yes, he probably should have stayed home but with transit, you don't show up, you don't get paid. I don't wear a mask myself, they are way too uncomfortable. 

The 15 is now serving University Heights. Or at least it was for a few minutes today and wouldn't let me on when I tried to flag it down at Shelbourne and McKenzie.

20200629_104402.jpg

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

The 15 is now serving University Heights. Or at least it was for a few minutes today and wouldn't let me on when I tried to flag it down at Shelbourne and McKenzie.

20200629_104402.jpg

Either a detour (WAYYYY off route) or a signage glitch. Possibly it was deadheading to UVIC to do a 15 outbound. 

Similar to the wild 15, I saw a bus saying "EXTRA BUS" coupled with a "NOT IN SERVICE" today lol. Also a drop off only double decker front door wide open making a turn from Douglas northbound onto Finlayson headed east for some whatever reason. Looked like a maintenance worker driving it, maybe he needed to get back to the depot without making any left hand turns lol.

The Rapidbus thing isn't new, it's been planned for a while. Even the current "rapidbus" term vs general rapid transit had a timeline shown somewhere that I can't find now. That announcement fits in with the timeline from what I remember of it. If you look through Commission meeting documents from before ye old pandemic there's mentions of it too. Langford's OCP plan also makes mention of a future BRT system down Goldstream, though the planning for that can probably be traced back to like 2008 when the Douglas busway plans got scrapped because oh no some left turns won't exist and without cars businesses (somehow) go broke, the horror oh no! I'm salty it took over a decade to get curbside lanes in to Uptown in both directions when the original Douglas BRT proposal would've been done in 2010 (or like 2014 because it's the CRD lamo) and been higher quality :<

Still 9 minute frequencies would be awesome and I want to see it happen quite rapidly 😜

• Like 1