MCW Metrobus

Victoria Regional Transit System

58 minutes ago, InfiNorth said:

I just noticed after a quick search in the Wiki that the Camosun Express (http://camosun.ca/about/transportation-parking/camosun-express.html) isn't covered on the CPTDB Wiki and I haven't seen any photos of the bus on here. Are there any photos on the Wiki of the bus at the moment? I'm curious which vehicle is currently being used - their website mentions that their zero-emissions bus (I assume electric) is only used for the commuter service from the westshore. Any other information, photos, or experience from being on the shuttle? I know it's not technically "public," but intercity stuff is often discussed on here and the fact that it operates within the city upwards of fifteen time a day makes it more of a transit option than an intercity bus. Not sure where to discuss it.

The good old google has come to your rescue. 1.5 minutes of searching turned up this article (https://www.vicnews.com/news/camosun-students-staff-can-now-take-the-westshore-commuter-express/amp/) which has a picture of Electric bus. Sure it’s just a pic of the side of the bus but that was enough to figure out that it’s a BYD K9S. On the side the legals sat that it is owner by Wilson transportation. Wonder what that’s all about.

9 minutes ago, Articulated said:

Wasn't aware that this shuttle service existed, thanks for bringing it up!

Looking on Google, it appears the shuttle service first started in 2014, using what must have been a used cutaway bus (looks like an E-550 with Goshen GC II bodywork). There are plenty photos on news articles of that vehicle, but the only other vehicle I can find is a Twitter post with a picture of Arboc cutaway 5520. 5520 has legals for Wilson's Transportation, so no surprise they must be the contractor for this operation.

Excuse the double post but it seems we posted at the same time. It seams that Wilson buses with fleet number XX20 are used for the shuttle. This would make sense because then it would mean that 5320 in the GC II in question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomasw said:

Excuse the double post but it seems we posted at the same time. It seams that Wilson buses with fleet number XX20 are used for the shuttle. This would make sense because then it would mean that 5320 in the GC II in question.

Wilson's fleet numbering system goes by the format AABB, with AA standing for the unit number, and BB standing for the seating capacity. So the fleet number of 5320 would indicate it's unit 53, with a seating capacity of 20 people. Five-digit fleet numbers operate in the same fashion: Prevost H3-45 10056 is the 100th vehicle with a seating capacity of 56.

So just because a unit ends in "20" doesn't automatically mean it's assigned to a specific contract.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Articulated said:

Wilson's fleet numbering system goes by the format AABB, with AA standing for the unit number, and BB standing for the seating capacity. So the fleet number of 5320 would indicate it's unit 53, with a seating capacity of 20 people. Five-digit fleet numbers operate in the same fashion: Prevost H3-45 10056 is the 100th vehicle with a seating capacity of 56.

So just because a unit ends in "20" doesn't automatically mean it's assigned to a specific contract.

Wow. Am I ever stupid. That makes a lot of sense. 

This is the only picture I have of it. Happened to see it in the morning at Langford Exchange last year. I believe it starts at Langford Exchange, goes to Westhills Exchange, then heads down Goldstream to Island Highway towards Camosun Interurban. 

20191018_071516.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/6/2020 at 4:20 PM, Thomasw said:

The good old google has come to your rescue. 1.5 minutes of searching turned up this article

I am fully aware other other sources, what I was wondering was if the Wiki had decent photos of the quality generally expected on here (side profiles, good lighting, decent quality). Thanks though. The fact remains that the WIki has no entry related to this. 

Regarding the Wilson's ownership... Wilson's needs a serious overhaul in brand image. If you go to their main website, you see four services: BCFC, Gray Line, Charter, and YYJ Shuttle. No mention of the other things they run, including the BC Connector or the Vancouver Island Connector, one of which now includes Tofino Bus, which is also Wilson's now. None of the websites provide a clear picture of what Wilson's in its entirety emcompasses. I know this isn't the place to discuss this in depth, but my point is that the Camosun Express being operated by Wilson's without it being well known wouldn't come as a surprise. 

Hi folks, I'm putting feelers out for resources. I am doing a little project that is a visual representation of the decades of transit evolution in Victoria, and I am missing a few decades. I'm putting this here with hopes that people who have historical schedules might be able to share at least one from each decade so I can make it more accurate. I'm currently missing 1960s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s. All other decades (1890s, 1900s, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1970s, 2000s, and 2010s) I already have access to either through archives, historical resources, or are in my own possession. I don't know if there is a specific subforum for discussing historical timetables, and I'm also not looking for complete collections as this is simply too much to ask. Please message me if you have these resources and would be willing to scan/photograph an example or two for me from the decades I am hoping for. 

9 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

Hi folks, I'm putting feelers out for resources. I am doing a little project that is a visual representation of the decades of transit evolution in Victoria, and I am missing a few decades. I'm putting this here with hopes that people who have historical schedules might be able to share at least one from each decade so I can make it more accurate. I'm currently missing 1960s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s. All other decades (1890s, 1900s, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1970s, 2000s, and 2010s) I already have access to either through archives, historical resources, or are in my own possession. I don't know if there is a specific subforum for discussing historical timetables, and I'm also not looking for complete collections as this is simply too much to ask. Please message me if you have these resources and would be willing to scan/photograph an example or two for me from the decades I am hoping for. 

I have some old(er) schedule from the late 90s and late 00s... what do you need? You could also possibly find some on the "Wayback Machine" at web.archive.org

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Matt Dunlop said:

I have some old(er) schedule from the late 90s and late 00s... what do you need? You could also possibly find some on the "Wayback Machine" at web.archive.org

One from the late 90's would be massively appreciated, I already have one from '08. Only if you have time!  :) Wayback only goes back to the early 00's and is really patchy as it doesn't include the old PDF riders guides.

23 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

One from the late 90's would be massively appreciated, I already have one from '08. Only if you have time!  :) Wayback only goes back to the early 00's and is really patchy as it doesn't include the old PDF riders guides.

Okay. I'm in the process of scanning guides as PDF's right now. They will be too large to fit on CPTDB (over 10MB) so I will attach them to a file sharing website and provide the link, then you can download the PDF and view it. 

• Thanks 1

I know this is very late, but on Thursday, driving home from work on Shelbourne around 3:00 I passed a Dennis Dart on the 27 Downtown route at Hillside Mall. I've never seen a Dart on the 27, I'm guessing this was due to a vehicle shortage? Any insight?

1 hour ago, InfiNorth said:

I know this is very late, but on Thursday, driving home from work on Shelbourne around 3:00 I passed a Dennis Dart on the 27 Downtown route at Hillside Mall. I've never seen a Dart on the 27, I'm guessing this was due to a vehicle shortage? Any insight?

There was a Dart (0228) on 26 as well this past Thursday!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ygk said:

There was a Dart (0228) on 26 as well this past Thursday!

I think i seen a dart on the 26 *just once* few years ago when i lived near tillicum mall. Before i moved to Surrey. (I need to make a comeback and just move back to Vic again but this ain't the area to chat about it)

• Like 1

Guessing the first 4-5 xn40 are for whistler. Next 21 are for vic. And 3 for cfv. Still leaves like 9-10 units without a home. Would Victoria maybe be getting more than 21 xn40 to replace more d40lf perhaps? Far as I'm aware there are more than 21 of the worst conditioned in the fleet of Vic. (Most of my reply probably belongs to the bct fleet section i think)

I saw a dart on the 16 during the snowstorm, night before UVic closed. Also only once have seen a dart 26 several years ago :P

VictoriaBuzz claims at least 2 new buses have arrived in Victoria by the way.

Also they did a surprise frequency increase to the 50 at the beginning of the month to address some of the weekend evening pass ups on the 50-61. No idea if it's working quite yet since I haven't ended up going home early enough on Saturday night, but definitely needed since when I tried taking a 50-61 in December 20 of us were left behind with the next 50 in 30 minutes, and the next 61 in an hour  😐

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Busmanic92 said:

Guessing the first 4-5 xn40 are for whistler. Next 21 are for vic. And 3 for cfv. Still leaves like 9-10 units without a home. Would Victoria maybe be getting more than 21 xn40 to replace more d40lf perhaps? Far as I'm aware there are more than 21 of the worst conditioned in the fleet of Vic. (Most of my reply probably belongs to the bct fleet section i think)

Yes.

Just curious what kind of vehicle/driver shortage continues to persist in Victoria, as at least two outbound trips on the 27/28 were cancelled as I ended up waiting for the bus for 25 minutes and NextRide showed no buses northbound between downtown and Hillside during that time. The departures I would have to assume were missed were the 14:59 and 15:05 departure, as the bus I caught at Pearl was at 3:35 and absolutely crammed. The kind of crammed you usually see at 8:15AM on the 26 to UVIC. Are there still operator and vehicle shortages?

The news said that 80 XN40s are coming, 72 to replace existing buses and 8 for fleet expansion. 

And yes, we are short on buses in Victoria. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

Just curious what kind of vehicle/driver shortage continues to persist in Victoria, as at least two outbound trips on the 27/28 were cancelled as I ended up waiting for the bus for 25 minutes and NextRide showed no buses northbound between downtown and Hillside during that time. The departures I would have to assume were missed were the 14:59 and 15:05 departure, as the bus I caught at Pearl was at 3:35 and absolutely crammed. The kind of crammed you usually see at 8:15AM on the 26 to UVIC. Are there still operator and vehicle shortages?

It's possible, but there are other possibilities as well, especially as those departures are early enough that it's unlikely those trips would be cancelled due to equipment or driver shortage. More than likely you were impacted by schedule delays caused by foreseeable and unforeseeable events. 

For example, the buses could have been running late due to them getting caught in construction or blocked by an MVI, and the bus you caught was the one you intended but running very late. The construction at the bottom of Blanshard can delay 27/28s by 10-15 minutes if they caught the construction site at the wrong time, which could easily add up to a delay of 20-25 minutes by the time it crossed over Johnson and Cook. Throw an MVI or another construction site into the mix, and the schedule falls behind even more. Plus, drivers also have to use the washroom and eat occasionally, so if they've done multiple trips of getting caught in construction and traffic, eventually they will have no choice but to take a few minutes to tend to bodily needs. 

Next Ride is not a failsafe in terms of showing the reality of what's on the road. There are 4 contingency buses from Abbotsford that do not currently have it installed, and for rest of the fleet, there are occasionally component failures that cause that particular vehicle not to show up on the public website. While it would be rare, it is entirely possible that there were two more buses shortly behind the one you ended up boarding, but they weren't showing up online for the reasons mentioned above. 

1 hour ago, Matt Dunlop said:

The news said that 80 XN40s are coming, 72 to replace existing buses and 8 for fleet expansion. 

Victoria is getting 80 brand new buses total this year, not 80 XN40s. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CV92 said:

It's possible, but there are other possibilities as well, especially as those departures are early enough that it's unlikely those trips would be cancelled due to equipment or driver shortage. More than likely you were impacted by schedule delays caused by foreseeable and unforeseeable events. 

For example, the buses could have been running late due to them getting caught in construction or blocked by an MVI, and the bus you caught was the one you intended but running very late. The construction at the bottom of Blanshard can delay 27/28s by 10-15 minutes if they caught the construction site at the wrong time, which could easily add up to a delay of 20-25 minutes by the time it crossed over Johnson and Cook. Throw an MVI or another construction site into the mix, and the schedule falls behind even more. Plus, drivers also have to use the washroom and eat occasionally, so if they've done multiple trips of getting caught in construction and traffic, eventually they will have no choice but to take a few minutes to tend to bodily needs. 

Next Ride is not a failsafe in terms of showing the reality of what's on the road. There are 4 contingency buses from Abbotsford that do not currently have it installed, and for rest of the fleet, there are occasionally component failures that cause that particular vehicle not to show up on the public website. While it would be rare, it is entirely possible that there were two more buses shortly behind the one you ended up boarding, but they weren't showing up online for the reasons mentioned above. 

Victoria is getting 80 brand new buses total this year, not 80 XN40s. 

Interesting... they must be taking into account the Vicinity CNGs and deckers then? 

And yes, like you stated, NextRide doesn't show everything. There are a few buses from Abby that don't have NextRide equipped, there are a couple buses that don't have it working, and there are some buses where it won't find any GPS signal. 

• Like 1

Feedback is open for Broadmead/Cordova Bay and Esquimalt/View Royal  area transit plans.

Here are the open houses:

1487782921_Screenshotfrom2020-01-3010-33-50.thumb.png.605c8e62f20c433a28bf4f6fed7e1a16.png1587580034_Screenshotfrom2020-01-3010-33-34.thumb.png.225a611a46720106e0c092b78150bbe6.png

Or you can complete the online survey here: https://form.simplesurvey.com/f/l/EsquimaltBroadmeadLATP

Proposed changes for Broadmead/Cordova Bay

1. Eliminate 6A and 6B, making all 6 buses direct to Royal Oak exchange.

I would like to see the 6 extend one stop east to Broadmead village to allow easier transfer from the 70x, but don't think that will happen.
6.thumb.png.415646da2e6d6c1c61876ae67333337e.png

2. Turning the 32 into this confusing disaster.

I literally have no idea how any of the routing would work except for the tiny one way bit on the north end. This mess really needs to be 2 separate routes.

32.thumb.png.0714ca0ba281be0a7db92c49cf7a15d1.png

3. Minor adjustment to the 35 to better serve the middle school and shopping centre.

35.thumb.png.a4fd9d9e7f936288e1a0d942e8167d48.png

4. Extend the 25 to Royal Oak via Blenkinsop.

This is good, but I think the 25 now needs to be split into 2 routes to have a clearer structure. Have a mainly N-S route from Royal Oak to downtown, and an E-W route from downtown to Admirals walk. With the proposed route, the bus will go all 4 direction (east, south, west, north) over the course of the route.

25.thumb.png.553c88a24567a83fc3b7b92e51b73f44.png

5. Create a new 33 from UVic to Royal Oak via Blenkinsop.

This route is completely redundant and I don't think it should exist. Use the resources to improve other lines covering the exact same route since the 25 is being extended. The only part where it's not redundant is Chatterton, but that should be folded into another route (maybe 39 or 25?)

33.thumb.png.4066a4b22cccd6947a804bebc23353d0.png

Proposed Esquimalt/View Royal changes:

600448436_Screenshotfrom2020-01-3011-13-01.thumb.png.e573bb5f27f684a8efaefb23ef3e179d.png

1. Increase span of service on the 10.

I just don't think the routing of the 10 is very good. Just have it take over the routing of the 24 or 25 into Esquimalt from Bay, and have the routing of the other (24 or 25) from Esquimalt provide the James Bay portion of the 10. This involves splitting both the 24 and 25 into their separate N-S and E-W parts.

10.thumb.png.edcd7130aad0e114f1bf1c7c81239fbc.png

2. Have the 14 use the Johnson st bridge instead of Bay for a more direct route.

Makes the route faster, more direct, and easier to follow so 👍

14.thumb.png.c10c053be6ffa3b3b63add7e6adf3582.png

3. Provides express (limited stops) service in Esquimalt as well.

Overall, it will make moving people faster and allow for more efficient resource utilization, so that's good. I think it needs one more stop between Head and Tyee as that is a pretty big gap, and one more stop would make it pretty even spacing along the whole route.

15.thumb.png.c27b42526e38423bd0dfd6121c5baa91.png

4. Introduce a new 19/20 route in Esquimalt.

This is basically pointless IMO. Ultra low frequency, lots of circles that do go anywhere in particular, and is more or less covered by other routes already. should make existing routes connect to desired areas better if that is the goal instead of making a pointless and relatively useless new route.

19-20.thumb.png.dc94a8f38d02d399872cd7c657f8fbe6.png

5. Extend the 24 and 25 to Tillicum Mall and adjust Esquimalt routing.

Why do they want to make routes go every single direction during their run? Just extend the 11 to Admirals walk. Keep routes simple and straight, not confusing and circular. Also, I'm not sure that both Obed and Gorge are needed west of Tillicum Mall, you could probably do with just one route there since they're so close together.

For Esquimalt, the 26 already provides local, frequent service along that part of Esquimalt, and it seems quite redundant to push both the 24 and 25 to virtually the same routing. The routing for the 25 especially could be simplified a bit from present, but I don't see the point of providing so many bus lines on virtually the same route. Less routes, more frequent service if covering the same area, or make sure they service different areas.

24-25.thumb.png.eccc455e76c53558f96a8dde968eab6e.png24-25f.thumb.png.219f28e331d1a6473164b89ed5bd6d0c.png

6. Create a new route 40, direct and frequent between UVic and Dockyard along Mackenzie and Admirals.

👍

40.thumb.png.d6928a090d3e69f206d9457b2f6e4c01.png

7. More service on the 46.

46.thumb.png.813844023ade80c429a33c8ac1b8877c.png

8. Extend the 53 to Vic General.

53.thumb.png.2dfbf0ca1cb677f9dfec233a37cd03fa.png

• Like 1

"that should be two routes" seems like the story of BC Transit in the CRD. 

While it would be temporarily jarring I think we are at this point the whole system needs a redraw all at once - maybe look more like Vancouver in the 1990s. Relatively direct suburban routes feeding into functional exchanges with buses going to the core. Instead we still seem more indoctrinated to smaller community Transit planning, although in fairness the CRD is still sort of small. 

The 1996 Flyers are still in service and they are SMOOTH buses. No rattles, no jerks from the transmission, and the buses are quieter than the 9800s overall. Only problem is the sign has to be set manually since it's an old Luminator Flipdot. This one caught me by surprise when I was heading to my brother's place on the 59. The driver had no idea that it was 24 years old!

83563106_10162938588330147_6022711314944622592_o.jpg

In response to Dane's post, it would be nice to see the 46, and if possible, 39 run on weekends or nights. Also a route (40) that runs down McKenzie could be welcome, since the 51 is peak times only.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, maege said:

6. Create a new route 40, direct and frequent between UVic and Dockyard along Mackenzie and Admirals.

👍

40.thumb.png.d6928a090d3e69f206d9457b2f6e4c01.png

Holy cow that is overdue. I can't believe there isn't a true belt-line bus as it currently stands, and not only would this help UVIC, but it also gives Gordon Head a useful connection to the 70/71/72. At the moment, it is way too inconvenient to try to get to the 39 to get to Royal Oak from anywhere that isn't already served by the 39, and frankly having to go all the way downtown and all the way back again to get to Victoria's equivalent of an airport from one of its biggest suburbs is also too inconvenient. Here's to hoping this route appears sometime in the next decade. Big vote from me for the the new #40.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dane said:

While it would be temporarily jarring I think we are at this point the whole system needs a redraw all at once

Agreed. The core area (Victoria, Saanich, Esquimalt) is able to support enough frequency for significant redraw of routes that have a couple ultra-frequent corridors (basically the 50, 15, 40, and 70 to Royal Oak) with most other routes being frequent, direct routes that intersect those. There would be very minimal overlapping of any routes (opposite of routes like the 21 which has exactly zero parts of its route where it's not duplicating another route) which would allow for almost all routes to be frequent, leading to minimal time cost for any transfer needed.

• Like 2