Welcome to the updated CPTDB!

If you prefer an older theme, you can change it back by scrolling to the very bottom and clicking on "Theme" on the bottom right. However, you can also change the background color/image by clicking on the "photo icon" in the black bar with your username at the top of the page.

Click the X on the top right of this box to dismiss this message.

MCW Metrobus

Victoria Regional Transit System

As I understand it, there is a plan in place to rectify the stop request light issue on the Flyers and 2007-2009 Novas. 

Darts that have an old Balios/Pocatec ODK still have to have signs changed manually. If it has a newer Axion installed, Nextride will change it. Many of the Darts had their old ODK swapped out for a new one when they received Nextride so that the headsigns will change automatically like the rest of the fleet.

Every system seems to do it differently...

Vancouver - Single-line LED display with independent stop indicator integrated into one unit
Montreal - Two-line LED display, separate stop indicator
Denver, King County, and York Region - Single-line LED display, sometimes a separate stop indicator (depends on make or model of bus)
Portland - Single-line LED display, separate stop indicator

:huh:

• Like 1

Or like translink (Vancouver region) have "stop" beside the "next stop" display. That might be best. Or it'll show the full next stop slowly like it is now and popup a stop requested part while people are looking for a slow show stop...

I do like bc transit better than translink. Idk why but i do

On 4/14/2019 at 12:07 AM, CV92 said:

As I understand it, there is a plan in place to rectify the stop request light issue on the Flyers and 2007-2009 Novas. 

Darts that have an old Balios/Pocatec ODK still have to have signs changed manually. If it has a newer Axion installed, Nextride will change it. Many of the Darts had their old ODK swapped out for a new one when they received Nextride so that the headsigns will change automatically like the rest of the fleet.

I noticed one of the early 9300 Novas (9333) had a vertical LED light next to the Nextride display. Maybe that'll be the plan for the Flyers and 09 Novas. 

Nova #9415 was being driven by a mechanic to LTC garage today, rear had a temp license plate (in rear window). Dest sign said "SORRY..... NOT IN SERVICE" 

2 hours ago, Matt Dunlop said:

Nova #9415 was being driven by a mechanic to LTC garage today, rear had a temp license plate (in rear window). Dest sign said "SORRY..... NOT IN SERVICE" 

Ah ha it finally left Whistler, they had the seasonal service reductions start a couple weeks ago aswell as another reduction happening after this weekend. Keep an eye out for D40LF 9820 potentially aswell since i saw it being towed down the Sea to Sky Highway a couple weeks ago. My guess would be that its headed to Victoria but i’m not 100% sure

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anyfong said:

This is how progress looks like. The rest of the world, look to Victoria BC as a role model.

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/free-transit-plan-gets-nod-from-victoria-council-1.4396674

Like that's gonna work. 

“Adjustments to provincial transfers and the property tax requisition,” is not gonna magically produce enough money to fund for salaries and new buses/maintenance.

13 hours ago, Matt Dunlop said:

That's just one of Lisa Help's stupid ideas. Transit isn't going to be "FREE". 

Why is this stupid? 

Seems like a potentially good idea to me. Relatively speaking low cost. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dane said:

Why is this stupid? 

Seems like a potentially good idea to me. Relatively speaking low cost. 

Taxpayers would be paying for transit... why tax people that can't or won't use the bus? Also I highly doubt they would increase service. 

23 minutes ago, Matt Dunlop said:

Taxpayers would be paying for transit... why tax people that can't or won't use the bus? Also I highly doubt they would increase service. 

Taxpayers already subsidize transit. I don't know what the exact subsidy rate is for Victoria, but typically fares only cover about 40-50% of operating costs (and none of the capital costs) for most systems across Canada.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Articulated said:

Taxpayers already subsidize transit. I don't know what the exact subsidy rate is for Victoria, but typically fares only cover about 40-50% of operating costs (and none of the capital costs) for most systems across Canada.

I have no idea how much money BCT gets from taxpayers; but there's fare revenue, ad revenue, gas taxes, property taxes, etc. 

John Horgan is not for it. To quote Global news: 

Premier John Horgan, however, was quick to rule out provincial money for free transit.

“I believe Victoria’s ideas are all well and good, if they want to raise the money in Victoria to pay for it,” Horgan said.

13 hours ago, Matt Dunlop said:

I have no idea how much money BCT gets from taxpayers; but there's fare revenue, ad revenue, gas taxes, property taxes, etc.

Big news for you, BC Transit already gets most of their money from sources other than farebox revenue... They publish an annual report that Google can get you too. Worth a read. 

6 hours ago, Dane said:

Big news for you, BC Transit already gets most of their money from sources other than farebox revenue... They publish an annual report that Google can't get you too. Worth a read. 

I know of the report where it tells you how much each employee makes (over $75,000), as well as how much is owed to each manufacturer, such as NFI, Nova, Voith, ZF, etc etc, is that what you mean? 

Farebox revenue only covers 27.8% of total operating costs. That is not counting BC Bus Pass because it is a provincially-run program and we are talking about the local share of funding, and in comparison the amount of money that particular program brings in is negligible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Victoria also already has unusually low cost recovery from fareboxes. I was reading an article today that suggested it would be $40 million a year to cut all fares. 

I don't know where you find $40 mill, but it's a really interesting idea. 

Finally, I had a chance to ride the Vicinity yesterday during my short visit, but I just wanna say they're sucks for the suspension~~

4071_2_zpsxdmqgeat.jpg

4071_2_rear_zps9ewcko6r.jpg

4072_3_zpsluudwudu.jpg

4457_11_zps4zicf1ty.jpg

4460_10_zpss1rbpted.jpg

Hope you enjoyed your short stay! 

The 35-foot (44xx series) are vastly improved over the 30-foot 40xx series. Smoother, less rattles, and the operators say they're more powerful. Langford has the majority of the Vicinitys right now, but it's good you were able to find some otherwise. 

One issue with the double decker #9001, it has the new NextRide system, however, the next stop display blocks the stop requested LEDs upstairs... BC Transit should do what Edmonton Transit did and hook up the NextRide system to the stop request buttons. 

I'd say 90% of buses now have the NextRide system installed. It's a hit or miss whether it works or not. Just a few deckers and a few Flyers have yet to be retrofitted. 

Today I saw:

8114 on Route 17 (on McKenzie)
9734 on Route 11 
2409 deadheading on TCH 

Thought all three were retired. 

There are two hybrids in the dead row at LTC with their batteries removed. 9102 and 9103. Hopefully this doesn't mean EOL for these beauties. 

P1010282.JPG

20 hours ago, Matt Dunlop said:

There are two hybrids in the dead row at LTC with their batteries removed. 9102 and 9103. Hopefully this doesn't mean EOL for these beauties. 

P1010282.JPG

I know when Saskatoon Transit had battery failures, it meant retirement. Anyone know the cost of replacing these batteries?