Victoria Regional Transit System

Turns out the electric part of the drive didn't disconnect so the bus was rolling without the accelerator down. Rather frightening! The operator was pretty unhappy with the hybrid buses - sounds like they're really touchy to drive  

No injuries.

20 hours ago, Dane said:

I rode 6001. From the perspective of someone who doesn't pay that much attention (me) it seemed exactly the same as the last order of Nova's. 

I rode 6002 today on the #50. First in-service ride according to the operator (farebox hadn't collected any revenue yet). From what I could tell, it's very smooth. No hiccup when the accelerator is released like most Novas have, just a smooth steady motion similar to a Hybrid. The operator did say the interlock is a bit stiff being a brand new bus. The transmission did say Voith, so I'm assuming it's D864.6

6 hours ago, Dane said:

Turns out the electric part of the drive didn't disconnect so the bus was rolling without the accelerator down. Rather frightening! The operator was pretty unhappy with the hybrid buses - sounds like they're really touchy to drive  

No injuries.

Thanks for the update on that. Those Hybrid buses are quite strange if you're not used to them so I hear. 

First passenger to ever board Nova #6002! Brand new bus smell! 

Has Cummins ISL9 (not the new L9) and Voith D864.6

20171213_073041.jpg

3 hours ago, Matt Dunlop said:

Has Cummins ISL9 (not the new L9) and Voith D864.6

If you don't mind me asking... how can you tell it has an ISL9 vs an L9? My understanding was the ISL9 was rebranded to L9 for the 2017 model year to meet the new emissions requirements.

Is Victoria slated to get all 30 of the LFS? Do you happen to know which ones are on property now?

3 hours ago, Articulated said:

If you don't mind me asking... how can you tell it has an ISL9 vs an L9? My understanding was the ISL9 was rebranded to L9 for the 2017 model year to meet the new emissions requirements.

Is Victoria slated to get all 30 of the LFS? Do you happen to know which ones are on property now?

Well a BC Transit mechanic who I know told me it was an ISL9. He also showed me pics of the engine. 

I have heard (again, from a Langford mechanic) that Victoria is getting 13 of these new LFS and the other 17 are heading to Kelowna. I can't say whether this is true. 

25287033_10154942493945966_657831559_n.jpg

25323838_10154942493595966_1988950316_n.jpg

On 12/12/2017 at 7:56 PM, Dane said:

9101 somehow ended up crossing a sidewalk via a tree at Uptown. At first glance doesn't seem significant damage to anything other than the tree. Not sure about injuries but there wasn't a ton of Ambulances there which is always good. 

One was injured. I updated the wiki page with info about the accident (my first time being the first to add accident info to a wiki page) and referenced a news article with details about injuries.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dane said:

Not tomsplit hairs but "injured, assessed on scene, and released" is media talk for not really injured ? They hit a pole. No doubt it hurt a bit!! But they were fine. 

I'm sure alot of people were shaken up on the bus too. You feel even the slightest small bump in a bus, let alone travelling off the road and hitting a pole! Makes me wonder if the driver is okay? He/she would have had the most impact being in the front. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Matt Dunlop said:

4062-4068 (so far) are in Langford garage and 4060/4061 are in Victoria garage. Still on delivery 

4068? Victoria should have 4060 - 4067. 4068 - 4070 are assigned to Williams Lake. Unless that's changed. 

All of the Vicinitys are out in service now aside from 4058 (Earmarked for Vernon Spring 2018 Expansion). 4060, 4061 are in Victoria's garage, 4062-4067 are in Langford's garage. 

Here are a few photos of #4065 at Colwood Exchange. A few notes the driver of the bus pointed out: 

• FRONT door has a slight delay before it closes. Move the handle to the centre position to close all doors, the rear door closes as normal, the front door has a 5-6 second delay then closes. 
  • None of the Langford (4062-4067) Vicinitys have Radios or AVA (Trekker Breeze). The operators are told to grab portable radios when using the Vicinity. 
  • Grossly underpowered on hills. 15-20km/h at MOST on a hill, and that's with less than 5 people onboard. Straight ground and downhill is fine. 
  • NO SEAT ALARM!
  • Also, the large front fuel tank by the front door gives a blind spot, particularity for operators that sit low in the seat. 

The driver DID like how smooth the bus was, how quiet it was, the air-ride drivers seat is far more comfortable than the Arboc drivers seat. 

26829126_10159791988225147_1674981412_o.jpg

20180111_104440.jpg

20180111_104514(0).jpg

20180111_104343.jpg

9 hours ago, Matt Dunlop said:

All of the Vicinitys are out in service now aside from 4058 (Earmarked for Vernon Spring 2018 Expansion). 4060, 4061 are in Victoria's garage, 4062-4067 are in Langford's garage. 

Here are a few photos of #4065 at Colwood Exchange. A few notes the driver of the bus pointed out: 

• FRONT door has a slight delay before it closes. Move the handle to the centre position to close all doors, the rear door closes as normal, the front door has a 5-6 second delay then closes. 
  • None of the Langford (4062-4067) Vicinitys have Radios or AVA (Trekker Breeze). The operators are told to grab portable radios when using the Vicinity. 
  • Grossly underpowered on hills. 15-20km/h at MOST on a hill, and that's with less than 5 people onboard. Straight ground and downhill is fine. 
  • NO SEAT ALARM!
  • Also, the large front fuel tank by the front door gives a blind spot, particularity for operators that sit low in the seat. 

The driver DID like how smooth the bus was, how quiet it was, the air-ride drivers seat is far more comfortable than the Arboc drivers seat.

Thanks for the update regarding the Vicinity buses. Are 4062-4067 going to be permanently assigned to Langford, or are units going to drift back and forth between Langford and Victoria? And are the new Vicinity buses replacing retiring Dart buses or operating in place of Arboc units?

On 1/12/2018 at 4:02 PM, Articulated said:

Thanks for the update regarding the Vicinity buses. Are 4062-4067 going to be permanently assigned to Langford, or are units going to drift back and forth between Langford and Victoria? And are the new Vicinity buses replacing retiring Dart buses or operating in place of Arboc units?

Right now 4062-4067 are out of Langford. A few Darts were sent out to Victoria depot, still plenty of Arbocs in Langford although I haven't seen any of the 2012 and 2013 units on the road lately. 

On another note, a double decker had its rear driver side window shot  AND the window near the wheelchair seating area out by a pellet gun on Craigflower and Admirals, Route #14 this morning. 

https://www.goldstreamgazette.com/news/pellets-show-at-window-of-b-c-transit-bus/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...