Victoria Regional Transit System

I just returned from a short trip to Victoria, and have a few updates from that city's transit. While I didn't actually do any bus riding, I did drop by both garages to check out the scene there.

This was my first time in the city since June, before the LFSs arrived. Thanks to a driver I know there who is a good friend of mine, I was given a full inside-out tour of 9212 in the Garbally yard. No photos unfortunately as I didn't have my camera with me that evening.

9816 is sitting at the back of Garbally with a badly crunched front end. I was told this bus rear ended a five-tonne truck. The bike rack bore the brunt of the impact, and the driver was lucky to escape with just a few scrapes.

At Langford, I observed the following buses sitting stored:

Orion Is - 6701, 6705, 6763 and 6772

Fishbowls - 762, 848, 5884, 5904, 5914, 5915 (edited - typo fixed)

Of these, 5884 is the only one that has not seen service in Victoria recently. I think it came from Kelowna, a few months ago. All the same I assume it's in the same intact condition as the others.

All the parted-out fishbowls have been sent for scrap. 5902 and 5910 were taken out several months ago, 839 and 970 were removed more recently.

Given that the retired buses are now off property, the "graveyard area" on the grass against the north wall of Langford yard (which is the bit directly overlooked by a row of houses on Dunford Rd.) is now empty - except for one bus. 9925, a 1999 Dennis Dart, is parked there, and appears to be missing its back bumper. Checking allocations, it says that the bus is assigned to Victoria... but that makes no sense. Victoria doesn't have any 99s. Also, I can make out (from a photo) the residue of some lettering next to the BC Transit decal, which has been removed. I am fairly certain it reads "City of Cranbrook".

I think that's about it. I did get some photos of the LFSs, they'll be posted when I get my act together. Having just got home I'm dealing with a bit of a backlog right now, also I'm going to Kelowna in two days, so things are hectic!

Given that the retired buses are now off property, the "graveyard area" on the grass against the north wall of Langford yard (which is the bit directly overlooked by a row of houses on Dunford Rd.) is now empty - except for one bus. 9925, a 1999 Dennis Dart, is parked there, and appears to be missing its back bumper. Checking allocations, it says that the bus is assigned to Victoria... but that makes no sense. Victoria doesn't have any 99s. Also, I can make out (from a photo) the residue of some lettering next to the BC Transit decal, which has been removed. I am fairly certain it reads "City of Cranbrook".

Seems that bus have retired in early stages?

Now, do Victoria still have the Dart left on their fleet?

Seems that bus have retired in early stages?

Now, do Victoria still have the Dart left on their fleet?

Yeah, Victoria still has 10 or 12 Darts. They're all 2000 models though (90xx series, 35 feet long). I don't think they ever had any 99s, or if they did, it was a long time ago. Last year Victoria was dumping a lot of their Darts on small systems as they inherited A/C D40LFs from other systems.

That reminds me, it seems as though Victoria may have gained another few ex-smallcomm D40LFs. 8078 was in active service, as was 8084. Not sure when those two joined the Vic fleet, though I think they both came from Kelowna. A Prince George D40LF also appeared briefly at one of the Victoria garages a few months ago, but it ended up in Chilliwack. These movements are likely related to the arrival of new LFSs during the summer; Prince George got at least 3 or 4 of those, as did Kelowna. We know Nanaimo got 5 of them (9224-9228), and moved a couple of Orions to Kelowna. (What the reasoning behind that move was, I don't know.)

Victoria has a bus shortage, so as far as I know the LFSs there were for fleet expansion, which would explain why no more Darts have been moved out. Classics are still active in full force during rush hours.

Interesting info, George. But one question, you have listed 5914 twice in the list. So really, which is the other one? 5915 by chance?

D'oh! Yeah, that's a typo, the other bus is indeed 5915. In fact I wasn't expecting to see that bus there, since Les Broughton reported it being "off on assignment somewhere". But it's there at Langford.

That reminds me, it seems as though Victoria may have gained another few ex-smallcomm D40LFs. 8078 was in active service, as was 8084. Not sure when those two joined the Vic fleet, though I think they both came from Kelowna. A Prince George D40LF also appeared briefly at one of the Victoria garages a few months ago, but it ended up in Chilliwack.

An addition to this list that I forgot about - #8086. This bus is ex-Prince George and is now listed as in service in Victoria. The bus that went from PG to Chilliwack is #9850. Apologies for any confusion caused.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Couple of updates from BC's capital:

D40LFs 8095 and 8099 have both received the white Telus ad-wrap, the same one that has appeared on a couple of D40LFs in Vancouver over the past few weeks.

Accident victim 9816 is visible inside the Garbally shops, presumably getting repaired.

Novas were out in full force today, and at least one of them is based out of Langford, because I spotted it working the route 50. Can't remember offhand which bus it was, I'd have to check back on photos which I haven't even gotten off the camera yet.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't news out of Victoria, but it indirectly pertains to Victoria.

GMC fishbowl #873 has been running in Abbotsford over the past few months, apparently pulled from storage as a temporary replacement for a D40LF that was sent away to be repaired after being involved in a serious collision. We have word that it is now retired, due to having blown its engine. Next stop: the scrapper.

Wonder if anyone's piqued its GM plate yet? Last time I saw 873 a year ago, it still had one:

http://www.etspe.ca/vrts/vrtsviewpic.php?p...7n/vrts873a.jpg

873 served in Victoria for several months in the fall of 2005 through to April 2006, when it went into storage along with the other 5 remaining fishbowls.

• 2 months later...

Fishbowl sighting! Peter McLaughlin sent me a text message about an hour and a half ago saying that he spotted a fishbowl in service in Victoria today. He wasn't sure of the number.

I have made a few phone calls to try and get a confirmation and a check at Garbally yard to try and figure out which one it is. Updates to come as I get them.

Fishbowl sighting! Peter McLaughlin sent me a text message about an hour and a half ago saying that he spotted a fishbowl in service in Victoria today. He wasn't sure of the number.

I have made a few phone calls to try and get a confirmation and a check at Garbally yard to try and figure out which one it is. Updates to come as I get them.

Never mind. False alarm.

SOMEBODY is going to get it, when he gets home! :D It was my birthday, not April Fools!

:D:D I think George has had too much to drink today and Peter totally tricked him :P

On a more serious note, are there any Fishbowls operating with BC Transit at all?

All of them are inactive right now

Dave

Never mind. False alarm.

SOMEBODY is going to get it, when he gets home! :D It was my birthday, not April Fools!

LOL

:D:D I think George has had too much to drink and Peter totally tricked him :P

Shhhhhh. :P

All of them are inactive right now

Yeah, apparently the last one to have seen service as I mentioned earlier in this thread was #873 in Abbotsford, until it blew its engine. Rumours are abound, however, that this year's bus order may be delayed, and that BCT is perusing through the contents of Langford storage to see if any fishbowls might be useable should they be needed.

LOL

So yesterday was your birthday? Haha what a nice gift!

It would have been, if it was true! :D

• 2 months later...

Are BC Transit's Tridents narrower than standard buses while the Enviro 500s are wider? Or is that not an issue for Nnorth American versions of them?

In Asia, Tridents are 2500mm wide while Enviro 500s are 2550mm wide.

I think you're right.

They are 100" width, first time ever made for North America.

For those anyone who wants to visit the Gorge garage, forget it! I went there and appeantly a head security of BC Transit told me that due to strictly confidential issues that can't be given out, it's no longer for anyone from outside will be allow to do photograph. But other places I've no problem getting in.

They are 100" width, first time ever made for North America.

For those anyone who wants to visit the Gorge garage, forget it! I went there and appeantly a head security of BC Transit told me that due to strictly confidential issues that can't be given out, it's no longer for anyone from outside will be allow to do photograph. But other places I've no problem getting in.

Anyone know about Vegas' E500s? Are they also 100" width?