Victoria Regional Transit System

I was gonna say what CV92 had said. It's the sustainability page that specifically mentions low floor.

As for the NYC double deckers, It's an easy to miss historical fact. I only knew about them because some happened to be in the shot of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in these clips of a vacation in the 1930s. 13:45 for those of you who want to skip to them. Otherwise enjoy the 42 minutes of 1930s New York, it shouldn't disappoint.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CV92 said:

first modern low floor double deck buses

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the floor of even the original routemaster buses are low-floor, no? Don't virtually all forms of double-decker bus configuration require a low-floor layout to avoid being hilariously tall (picture an Orion V with a second floor). 

32 minutes ago, InfiNorth said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the floor of even the original routemaster buses are low-floor, no? Don't virtually all forms of double-decker bus configuration require a low-floor layout to avoid being hilariously tall (picture an Orion V with a second floor). 

If you Google image search "Routemaster entrance" the results will show that both the front and rear entrance have additional steps to the lower saloon seating area beyond the initial step into the bus. 

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, CV92 said:

If you Google image search "Routemaster entrance" the results will show that both the front and rear entrance have additional steps to the lower saloon seating area beyond the initial step into the bus. 

Good point - that being said, the Leylands used in New York appear to have no additional steps (well, other than to the second floor). Are they considered low-floor?

Edit: Looks like I was wrong as evidenced by a hilariously outdated children's TV show.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

MCW Metrobuses were somewhat high floor double deckers, as used with West Midlands Travel in the UK. They had a step up to the lower level.

Forgive the link to a children's TV show, but it's something I grew up with and it shows the aforementioned buses in detail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm current messing around making a fictional map for Greater Victoria where streetcars are implemented on the Shelbourne, Quadra, McKenzie, and Esquimalt corridors. To do so I'm messing around by changing where local buses run to turn some into feeder-oriented routes. In doing so, I've removed my arch-nemesis, the 13 Ten Mile Point... only to discover an outdated legacy colour in the official BC Transit map. They have literally been piling updates on top of stuff on this map instead of generating it using GIS software and then refining it afterwards... I thought I was lazy with my mapmaking but this takes the cake. To my knowledge, this colour (the dark blue) hasn't been used in Victoria at least since I moved here in 2015. Does anyone recall when this colour was last used?

tl;dr BC Transit is just piling updates onto their PDF maps without cleaning out the old garbage.

bctransitmessup.PNG

20 minutes ago, InfiNorth said:

According to a couple of news websites, BC Transit will be repainting one of the Tridents to the original red, white and blue livery. I haven't seen reference to it on the BC Transit website, but the news thinks it's happening. 

I personally hate that. But I get it is cool and I'm just grumpy. 

Was so excited that this year we finally got the fleet into essentially one paint scheme here. 

Just now, Dane said:

I personally hate that. But I get it is cool and I'm just grumpy. 

Was so excited that this year we finally got the fleet into essentially one paint scheme here. 

I mean it's just for legacy purposes, just like it would be pretty cool to see a TransLink bus in BCE or BC Hydro colours. 

On 12/8/2020 at 2:35 PM, InfiNorth said:

To my knowledge, this colour (the dark blue) hasn't been used in Victoria at least since I moved here in 2015. Does anyone recall when this colour was last used?

tl;dr BC Transit is just piling updates onto their PDF maps without cleaning out the old garbage.

bctransitmessup.PNG

It was before BC Transit implemented the colours for regional-frequent-local routes. All the lines on the regional system map were blue, and route labels were either regular (blue) or community (green). Probably a year or two before you moved here

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2020 at 8:32 PM, InfiNorth said:

Does anyone know which of the Tridents will be repainted in the legacy livery? 

Looks like 9001 has been retro'd, photo on Facebook today at Langford's garage. Apparently was booked out this afternoon. 

I enjoyed that three months with everything in one scheme! Although 9001 can't be long for the world. 

Froze my butt off today at Shelbourne & McKenzie only to realize I brought the wrong lens with me with borked autofocus. Still grabbed a few good shots of the buses in the snow, included a rerouted 12 (as it is operating along Shelbourne south of Feltham). Particularly proud of the shot of 9422 and I'm pleased with the HandyDart shot.

If any of these photos includes a bus that isn't yet photographed on the Wiki feel free to steal them under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0.

IMG_9217.JPG

IMG_9242.JPG

IMG_9216.JPG

IMG_9209.JPG

• Like 1

4215 is without a doubt off the roster as it rolled on the Trans-Canada at Leigh Road and completely destroyed its bodywork and frame - way beyond repair. I hope the driver is alright. As predicted the video of the recovery effort as already been pulled off YouTube. 

Capture.PNG

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday an older generation Nova passed me on Yates. I'm bad with Nova generations, but one with the half back window unlike every other Nova in Victoria. I didn't catch a fleet number, unfortunately.

It wasn't a Cowichan Valley unit. 

I knew for a while we had 3 (?) Of these older Novas but I hadn't seen one in months. Has this unit been here all this time, or is it a recent arrival? 

• Like 1