Victoria Regional Transit System

• 1 month later...

That is pretty much the deal, it is white! Apparently it is a quasi-trial; quasi because it was actually bought by BC Transit someone who seemed to be in the know said on a Facebook page. Presumably it'll stay on the bus for the foreseeable future. I believe it is just the one unit (9437 if my memory is working?). 

• Thanks 1

Yep, Dane is correct. Right now there is only one and it is on 2013 Nova 9437. The trial came about as the Axion signs that were previously the BCT spec are no longer offered. Stay tuned to see if this is what the 2019/2020 deliveries will be fitted with :) 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Express691 said:

BC transit (Victoria) makes a bold move and buys 28 used fareboxes from a facebook group, saving $300,000 along the way

https://www.goldstreamgazette.com/news/b-c-transit-saves-300000-scores-28-used-fareboxes-idle-in-california/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

A wise purchase, but bold move is a bit of an overstatement.  BC and BC Hydro before it have both bought and sold used farebox equipment over the decades.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Les Broughton said:

A wise purchase, but bold move is a bit of an overstatement.  BC and BC Hydro before it have both bought and sold used farebox equipment over the decades.

Some of them look like they don't have the swipe card reader? Unless it can be added on somehow? Seeing as they don't make our style of farebox anymore, you have to buy used to even get additional ones... 

Today on the way back from work I followed a 7 from the Pat Bay to UVIC on McKenzie. Either it was really lost of the driver wasn't paying attention to their board. It also wasn't a case of a driver picking people up along McKenzie, as I sometimes see in the morning, as they didn't stop for any waiting riders, even when flagged down. Must be a little confusing to have an illogically numbered bus that isn't full blow by you when you've flagged it down.

1 hour ago, InfiNorth said:

Today on the way back from work I followed a 7 from the Pat Bay to UVIC on McKenzie. Either it was really lost of the driver wasn't paying attention to their board. It also wasn't a case of a driver picking people up along McKenzie, as I sometimes see in the morning, as they didn't stop for any waiting riders, even when flagged down. Must be a little confusing to have an illogically numbered bus that isn't full blow by you when you've flagged it down.

Since you said you were following it, I"m guessing you were looking at the rear sign mainly? Did you get a chance to see what the front and side sign said? Occasionally a malfunction will prevent one of the signs (usually the rear) from changing, while the others display the correct signage. I've often seen passengers try to flag down Not In Service buses, especially if there hasn't been one in service for a while, or they've been passed up by a few full ones already.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CV92 said:

Since you said you were following it, I"m guessing you were looking at the rear sign mainly? Did you get a chance to see what the front and side sign said? Occasionally a malfunction will prevent one of the signs (usually the rear) from changing, while the others display the correct signage. I've often seen passengers try to flag down Not In Service buses, especially if there hasn't been one in service for a while, or they've been passed up by a few full ones already.

I've even seen signs being frozen or showing incorrect information. Some do show their age. Seeing a few 98s have a dead side sign too.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 10:54 PM, Busmanic92 said:

I've even seen signs being frozen or showing incorrect information. Some do show their age. Seeing a few 98s have a dead side sign too.

I saw a Nova yesterday where almost the whole sign (90% of it) was completely blocked out by solid pixels. It was one of the 09 Novas. 

2 hours ago, Matt Dunlop said:

I saw a Nova yesterday where almost the whole sign (90% of it) was completely blocked out by solid pixels. It was one of the 09 Novas. 

When i was around there last i think i saw one almost ready to be blocked out by solid pixels. So i think that's the one

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt Dunlop said:

I know a bus is a bus, and anything can go on any route... and I've seen it all. I've seen Arbocs on the 46, and now I see a DOUBLE DECKER on the 46! I wonder how many branches were hit? 

Capture.PNG

46 is clear for Deckers. Every part of the route is either travelled by other Decker routes or is part of a Decker deadhead route. Now the ridership of that route on the other hand.....?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed after a quick search in the Wiki that the Camosun Express (http://camosun.ca/about/transportation-parking/camosun-express.html) isn't covered on the CPTDB Wiki and I haven't seen any photos of the bus on here. Are there any photos on the Wiki of the bus at the moment? I'm curious which vehicle is currently being used - their website mentions that their zero-emissions bus (I assume electric) is only used for the commuter service from the westshore. Any other information, photos, or experience from being on the shuttle? I know it's not technically "public," but intercity stuff is often discussed on here and the fact that it operates within the city upwards of fifteen time a day makes it more of a transit option than an intercity bus. Not sure where to discuss it.

44 minutes ago, InfiNorth said:

I just noticed after a quick search in the Wiki that the Camosun Express (http://camosun.ca/about/transportation-parking/camosun-express.html) isn't covered on the CPTDB Wiki and I haven't seen any photos of the bus on here. Are there any photos on the Wiki of the bus at the moment? I'm curious which vehicle is currently being used - their website mentions that their zero-emissions bus (I assume electric) is only used for the commuter service from the westshore. Any other information, photos, or experience from being on the shuttle? I know it's not technically "public," but intercity stuff is often discussed on here and the fact that it operates within the city upwards of fifteen time a day makes it more of a transit option than an intercity bus. Not sure where to discuss it.

Wasn't aware that this shuttle service existed, thanks for bringing it up!

Looking on Google, it appears the shuttle service first started in 2014, using what must have been a used cutaway bus (looks like an E-550 with Goshen GC II bodywork). There are plenty photos on news articles of that vehicle, but the only other vehicle I can find is a Twitter post with a picture of Arboc cutaway 5520. 5520 has legals for Wilson's Transportation, so no surprise they must be the contractor for this operation.