Victoria Regional Transit System

1 hour ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

I know when Saskatoon Transit had battery failures, it meant retirement. Anyone know the cost of replacing these batteries?

Considering the cost to replace a regular car hybrid battery can cost upwards that 10,000$ I would expect the cost to replace a battery on a bus would be much greater. I think it is safe to assume that these buses will not see the light of service ever again

• Like 1

Essentially first generation technology, 14 year service life. Not that bad, although I appreciate that the usual BC Transit conventional diesel bus lasts longer than it probably should! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thomasw said:

Considering the cost to replace a regular car hybrid battery can cost upwards that 10,000$ I would expect the cost to replace a battery on a bus would be much greater. I think it is safe to assume that these buses will not see the light of service ever again

Except on the hook service and also sad to see them go!

• Haha 1

More of a general question: what does BC Transit's fleet maintenance and replacement schedule currently look like?

I seem to recall some discussion here many years ago that they had wanted to move towards a 12-year heavy-duty cycle in line with US transit agencies following FTA rules to save on maintenance costs, but I forget if that is still the case.

Part of the reason for me asking is because these DE40LFs were built in 2015... if they are following a shorter duty cycle, then yes it is likely that these buses are toast. But if not, they might be worthy contenders for conversion to straight diesels... At least, they would be better candidates than say the H40LFRs (which were reportedly designed for later conversion that never happened) or TransLink's 1998 C40LFs (most units being converted in 2009 after 10 years of CNG operation; last units retired at the start of 2019).

6 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

More of a general question: what does BC Transit's fleet maintenance and replacement schedule currently look like?

I seem to recall some discussion here many years ago that they had wanted to move towards a 12-year heavy-duty cycle in line with US transit agencies following FTA rules to save on maintenance costs, but I forget if that is still the case.

Part of the reason for me asking is because these DE40LFs were built in 2015... if they are following a shorter duty cycle, then yes it is likely that these buses are toast. But if not, they might be worthy contenders for conversion to straight diesels... At least, they would be better candidates than say the H40LFRs (which were reportedly designed for later conversion that never happened) or TransLink's 1998 C40LFs (most units being converted in 2009 after 10 years of CNG operation; last units retired at the start of 2019).

The DE40LFs were built in 2005. 9104 retired early due to an engine fire a couple years back. They were an oddball bunch anyways, but great buses none the less. Very quick and smooth due to having no shift points (CVT transmission). BCT decided that buses built 2009 and later would have a 12-year life as they won't be receiving a mid-life refit. Buses 2008 and older will last 20 years since they'll have a mid-life refit at some point (the 2008 deckers haven't had a refit yet, don't believe the 2008 Novas have either). The H40LFRs were sold off apparently. 

It's quite sad that the 2009 Novas are going to retire within the next 4 years. They've been workhorses. 

1 hour ago, Express691 said:

How often does the 72 pass up at Swartz? I could argue my 6:31 from Legislature should have been a decker. It was a nova today and the lineup for the 8pm trip back down was really long.

Pass up?? I've never heard of that before at Swartz Bay. The 70 always fills up, standees and seated passengers, and luggage, but the 72 is rarely more than half full since nobody wants to take the "scenic route" to Downtown. 

Once this NextRide system is 100%, transit will be able to tell how full the bus is, and hopefully plan better for it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt Dunlop said:

Pass up?? I've never heard of that before at Swartz Bay. The 70 always fills up, standees and seated passengers, and luggage, but the 72 is rarely more than half full since nobody wants to take the "scenic route" to Downtown. 

Once this NextRide system is 100%, transit will be able to tell how full the bus is, and hopefully plan better for it. 

This was at 7:40pm. The next 70 isnt until 8:55pm on weekdays.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Express691 said:

How often does the 72 pass up at Swartz? I could argue my 6:31 from Legislature should have been a decker. It was a nova today and the lineup for the 8pm trip back down was really long.

Because 6 pm departures from Tsawwassen are seasonal. But yes, BC Transit should anticipate more passengers for a Friday evening on summer schedule. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, T.Hickinaly said:

9437 was doing a 2 to oak bay with a white destination sign today...like instead of the regular orange it was white.  Any idea if this is a change coming to the whole fleet or just this bus?  

Could have just been a test...

13 hours ago, T.Hickinaly said:

9437 was doing a 2 to oak bay with a white destination sign today...like instead of the regular orange it was white.  Any idea if this is a change coming to the whole fleet or just this bus?  

It is a test unit. 

• Like 2

On 5/15/2019 at 5:09 AM, Matt Dunlop said:

The DE40LFs were built in 2005. 9104 retired early due to an engine fire a couple years back. They were an oddball bunch anyways, but great buses none the less. Very quick and smooth due to having no shift points (CVT transmission). BCT decided that buses built 2009 and later would have a 12-year life as they won't be receiving a mid-life refit. Buses 2008 and older will last 20 years since they'll have a mid-life refit at some point (the 2008 deckers haven't had a refit yet, don't believe the 2008 Novas have either). The H40LFRs were sold off apparently. 

It's quite sad that the 2009 Novas are going to retire within the next 4 years. They've been workhorses. 

I think they want to retire them early because of that pesky DPF. Those things are a nightmare from a maintenance and environmental standpoint.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Matt Dunlop said:

It's about time BC Transit ordered new double deck buses. Problem is that this article makes it sound like they are expansion units, not replacements for the first units (which will shortly be 20 years old).

• Like 1