Victoria Regional Transit System

It's been a few days since my last trip into Victoria, however I definitely noted 9455, 9457 and 9458 along the East wall of VTC, and one more which was either 9452 or 9456. I'll be headed into Victoria tomorrow to see if any more have arrived, and I'll see about getting photographic evidence this time.

It's been a few days since my last trip into Victoria, however I definitely noted 9455, 9457 and 9458 along the East wall of VTC, and one more which was either 9452 or 9456. I'll be headed into Victoria tomorrow to see if any more have arrived, and I'll see about getting photographic evidence this time.

Ok thank you for those fleet numbers now I believe him since another person has confirmed his information about the buses.

A. It is good that you trust him.

B. But I need clear proof such as photo or someone else confirming his sightings of those buses.

Firstly... "foxfan1992" is me. The wiki shows one's original username and not the screen-name that you can adjust it to.

Second, here's the photographic evidence you desired: 9455, 9457 and 9458 in VTC this afternoon. I did not see any others so 9456 has been momentarily 'removed' until it is confirmed as being in Victoria or somewhere else.

IMG_3234.JPG IMG_3237.JPG

Firstly... "foxfan1992" is me. The wiki shows one's original username and not the screen-name that you can adjust it to.

Second, here's the photographic evidence you desired: 9455, 9457 and 9458 in VTC this afternoon. I did not see any others so 9456 has been momentarily 'removed' until it is confirmed as being in Victoria or somewhere else.

attachicon.gifIMG_3234.JPG attachicon.gifIMG_3237.JPG

Oh, now I know for next time. I am sorry for the misdoubt from me towards you.

Here are a couple photos of the fourth Nova currently on Victoria property. Expect the remainder allocated to Victoria to arrive soon.

Note the drivers' side mirror, which is now manually adjusted (and a long reach from the window!), and less bulky, same size as the ones used on the D40LFs.

The only change to the seating configuration is that there are now only 3 rows of forward facing seats on the drivers' side low floor portion. In place of the fourth row are an additional 2 sideways facing seats.

The drivers' workstation is identical to the 2013 Novas, except that the handheld microphone PA has been replaced with a boom mic.

Transfers from Kamloops should be arriving in Victoria relatively soon as well.

The number of 1994-95 Flyers is dwindling. In addition to what's been mentioned in prior posts, 8048, 8055, 8056, 8062, 8063, 8064, and 8089 are unavailable to Victoria. 9328 is also out of service in preparation for its transfer to Kelowna. I suspect 9320 and 9329 will follow.

BCT 9452.jpgBCT 9452 rear.jpg

Yikes! That would be a long reach to adjust the drivers side mirror!

I wonder if the Novas got a boom mic because of BC Transit wanting drivers to call out stops? (although that was put off until Nov)

Darn... 8048/8064 was old, yes, but it was in the new livery. Sucks it's unavailable now. Also, wasn't 8089 just transferred here a year ago? Yeah, sounds like by the end of September, the oldest Flyers will likely be 8100's and up.

The CEO of BC Transit needs to be fired now because he using taxpayer brought buses for shuttle services that don't benefit the public and in my opinion public and mayors should say flat out "no" to this since it using buses that could go into service help the public.

First of all, I would argue that transporting tourists from cruise ships does serve the public, since it's bringing tourists and their spending money into downtown Victoria, increasing business activity in the area and contributing to economic growth. Beyond that, the article states that the buses are being leased for the service, which most people would assume involves paying for the buses, for the cruise ship season. Now as it stands, cruise ships generally arrive in the summer, when post secondary schools are out, which leads to reduced bus requirements. A quick look at the Victoria page on the BC Transit website shows several routes having reduced service for the summer. So, as it stands buses that would be seeing reduced usage in the summer are being used to earn BC Transit money by being leased to a company bringing tourists and their money into Victoria. In what world does that merit someone being fired?

The CEO of BC Transit needs to be fired now because he using taxpayer brought buses for shuttle services that don't benefit the public and in my opinion public and mayors should say flat out "no" to this since it using buses that could go into service help the public.

Oh my god this is such huge news, call the media, spread it on twitter and facebook! Pfff get real.

BC Transit makes more money leasing this buses out to tourists then it does running public service. Don't like it. Drive.

Now as it stands, cruise ships generally arrive in the summer, when post secondary schools are out, which leads to reduced bus requirements. A quick look at the Victoria page on the BC Transit website shows several routes having reduced service for the summer. So, as it stands buses that would be seeing reduced usage in the summer are being used to earn BC Transit money by being leased to a company bringing tourists and their money into Victoria.

BC Transit makes more money leasing this buses out to tourists then it does running public service. Don't like it. Drive.

The downside of the deal is that in past years we didn't get the buses back until October (the end of cruise ship season)- one month after schools are back in session, and with September also one of the busiest months of the year. Maybe that's changed for this year, I didn't read the article.

The downside of the deal is that in past years we didn't get the buses back until October (the end of cruise ship season)- one month after schools are back in session, and with September also one of the busiest months of the year. Maybe that's changed for this year, I didn't read the article.

For posterity, the article...... Shuttle bus deal signed as Victoria’s cruise-ship season starts

Times Colonist

April 22, 2015 06:00 AM

- See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/shuttle-bus-deal-signed-as-victoria-s-cruise-ship-season-starts-1.1830650#sthash.85zv0br1.dpuf

The first cruise ship of the 2015 season arrives this morning at Ogden Point and, just in time, a new deal has been signed to provide shuttle service for passengers from the terminal to the downtown.

Wilson’s Transportation has signed a two-year deal with the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority to operate the bus service, which is used by more than 100,000 cruise ship passengers each year.

Wilson’s will use leased B.C. Transit buses for the service and will work with the Harbour Authority to develop a program that will include hiring and training members of the Songhees and Esquimalt First Nations.

The deal, which expires at the end of the 2016 season, is renewable for up to three additional cruise seasons up until the end of the 2019 season. Financial terms of the deal were not released.

This year marks the first time B.C.’s Passenger Transportation Board will allow people to stand on B.C. Transit buses used for the shuttle service, reducing the number of buses required and shortening lines.

Ogden Point expects 229 ship visits this year bringing at least 513,000 passengers to the city.

- See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/shuttle-bus-deal-signed-as-victoria-s-cruise-ship-season-starts-1.1830650#sthash.85zv0br1.dpuf

Standees permitted, few buses needed....but doesn't state how many buses will be leased this year, or types. First year of the service, they leased 6--2 E500s, 2 novas, 2 hybrids. last year they had 5 (iirc?). If they get it down to 4 buses this year and repairs are caught up Sept. might not be too bad.

Using underutilized transit equipment for tourist work in summer is nothing new, the only difference is in the BC hydro days it was done in house through Royal Blue Lines and Pacific Stage Lines. Profits from which cross-subsidised transit and intercity operations.

Here my thoughts about how to improve transit with a capital costs and operation costs:

1. GPS and Automated stops announcements on ALL buses expect the 1994, 1995, 1996 D40LF those will get replace with buses that already have GPS and stop announcements installed on them.

2. Buy a bigger fleet of high capacity buses put them on routes that need them.

3. Rapid Transit around the capital region and to UVIC.

4. More eco-freindly buses such as CNG, hybrids and electric buses.

Non-costs improves and will take no time at all:

5. 14 on weekends trip don't need double deckers so put the weekend 14 double deckers on the 4.

6. Buses that come on time and come.

As was mentioned, the new Novas went into service Friday. 9871 did as well. Add 8090 to the list of '95 Flyers out of service.

Here my thoughts about how to improve transit with a capital costs and operation costs:

1. GPS and Automated stops announcements on ALL buses expect the 1994, 1995, 1996 D40LF those will get replace with buses that already have GPS and stop announcements installed on them.

2. Buy a bigger fleet of high capacity buses put them on routes that need them.

3. Rapid Transit around the capital region and to UVIC.

4. More eco-freindly buses such as CNG, hybrids and electric buses.

Non-costs improves and will take no time at all:

5. 14 on weekends trip don't need double deckers so put the weekend 14 double deckers on the 4.

6. Buses that come on time and come.

Some thoughts on your suggestions:

1. Why did you draw the line at the 1996 Flyers? Should we equip the 1998 Flyers which are gone in approx 3 years? Or the Darts, which will start retiring 2017 at the absolute latest? What about the shuttles? Instead why don't we just do what other systems do, buy a system that can be removed from the vehicle upon retirement and installed in a new vehicle. Then we can have the consistency of having every vehicle offer the same level of customer service.

2. Gotta have somewhere to store them first. One depot is over capacity, the other is nearly at 100%. We need a third depot, which is a multi million dollar project on its own. I suppose one could replace 40 footers with deckers as they retire, which could enable certain routes to utilize only deckers.

The only route that readily comes to mind that could be cleared for deckers relatively painlessly that could actually use them is the 15x (I have my doubts if running deckers on the 6 will be entertained again). Other busy routes, such as the 27/28, 6, 11, 7, 8 would have to use artics if they needed larger vehicles. Some of that could change if certain route network changes are made. As it stands, neither depot is equipped for or has capacity for artics, so again that's something that couldn't happen until the third depot is built.

3. It's a nice thought. Incredibly expensive too. You should include with this suggestion your ideas for how such projects can be funded in a way that is amiable to both the politicians and the typical Canadian taxpayer. And what's your timeline for implementing? Or is this just a wish list?

4. BCT determined that hybrids aren't feasible for the Provincial fleet, hence why they haven't purchased any more. CNG won't happen until one of the existing depots is upgraded or the third depot is constructed. Electric I'm sure one day, as BCT is a leader in trying new technology.

5. How do you know the 14 doesn't need deckers? Based on one weekend of observation? OK, I agree with you that they probably aren't, but I can assure you the 4 requires deckers on weekends no more than the 14. Try suggesting a different route.

6. Late buses or buses that no-show are caused by one or more of the following: Insufficient running times, insufficient recovery time, equipment and/or personnel shortages, and factors beyond the control of Transit, such as construction, MVI's, excessive congestion. Adding more time to the schedule, purchasing additional equipment, hiring more staff, and having vehicles on standby to offset delays all cost money.

You've posted on other threads about how fixing schedule reliability is a no-cost improvement. Please understand that the reason buses don't run on time is because there isn't enough money to actually fix the problems.

As was mentioned, the new Novas went into service Friday. 9871 did as well. Add 8090 to the list of '95 Flyers out of service.

Some thoughts on your suggestions:

1. Why did you draw the line at the 1996 Flyers? Should we equip the 1998 Flyers which are gone in approx 3 years? Or the Darts, which will start retiring 2017 at the absolute latest? What about the shuttles? Instead why don't we just do what other systems do, buy a system that can be removed from the vehicle upon retirement and installed in a new vehicle. Then we can have the consistency of having every vehicle offer the same level of customer service.

2. Gotta have somewhere to store them first. One depot is over capacity, the other is nearly at 100%. We need a third depot, which is a multi million dollar project on its own. I suppose one could replace 40 footers with deckers as they retire, which could enable certain routes to utilize only deckers.

The only route that readily comes to mind that could be cleared for deckers relatively painlessly that could actually use them is the 15x (I have my doubts if running deckers on the 6 will be entertained again). Other busy routes, such as the 27/28, 6, 11, 7, 8 would have to use artics if they needed larger vehicles. Some of that could change if certain route network changes are made. As it stands, neither depot is equipped for or has capacity for artics, so again that's something that couldn't happen until the third depot is built.

3. It's a nice thought. Incredibly expensive too. You should include with this suggestion your ideas for how such projects can be funded in a way that is amiable to both the politicians and the typical Canadian taxpayer. And what's your timeline for implementing? Or is this just a wish list?

4. BCT determined that hybrids aren't feasible for the Provincial fleet, hence why they haven't purchased any more. CNG won't happen until one of the existing depots is upgraded or the third depot is constructed. Electric I'm sure one day, as BCT is a leader in trying new technology.

5. How do you know the 14 doesn't need deckers? Based on one weekend of observation? OK, I agree with you that they probably aren't, but I can assure you the 4 requires deckers on weekends no more than the 14. Try suggesting a different route.

6. Late buses or buses that no-show are caused by one or more of the following: Insufficient running times, insufficient recovery time, equipment and/or personnel shortages, and factors beyond the control of Transit, such as construction, MVI's, excessive congestion. Adding more time to the schedule, purchasing additional equipment, hiring more staff, and having vehicles on standby to offset delays all cost money.

You've posted on other threads about how fixing schedule reliability is a no-cost improvement. Please understand that the reason buses don't run on time is because there isn't enough money to actually fix the problems.

1. Yes even buses that will be retired in three years because it would meet the order for the Blind.

2. I thought they were going to replace VTC for bigger storage cite.

3. I through it was being discussed how to fund the plan.

4. If BCT is tester of technology they should go with more hybrids. I second comment applies here built the replace VTC with CNG fuel station. Why hybrids bad for the province fleet?

5. I rode that that route to Downton Victoria it was that full, while a single decker could have handle the load. I found the 4 when I rode 4 at night at bus was full that why feel it needs double decker bus more than the 14 on weekends.

6. Get better managed and change the schedules so that get buses on time. Fire CEO and hire that will improve customer service to the public.

So, how does leasing buses to Port Authority help with BCT with on time buses? Oh, wait it does because those buses cannot take taxpayers and riders on transit routes.