Victoria Regional Transit System

Remember the calling out stops thing? BC Transit has changed it and may consider automated system for calling out stops.

B.C. Transit will provide training and support to help drivers work toward calling stops and has also agreed to explore other options, such as using an automated system that would call out stops and allow drivers to focus on driving, Williams said.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/b-c-transit-drivers-reach-a-compromise-on-calling-out-stops-1.978522

Remember the calling out stops thing? BC Transit has changed it and may consider automated system for calling out stops.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/b-c-transit-drivers-reach-a-compromise-on-calling-out-stops-1.978522

That was four months ago.

I could see them installing an automated system on the Novas, seeing as they're "ready" for GPS automated announcements. I'm not sure how much work it would take to install an automated system on the E500s.

You still see the odd driver calling out stops, mostly the newer drivers.

That was four months ago.

I could see them installing an automated system on the Novas, seeing as they're "ready" for GPS automated announcements. I'm not sure how much work it would take to install an automated system on the E500s.

You still see the odd driver calling out stops, mostly the newer drivers.

I would say every bus in the fleet. West Vancouver Blue Bus put GPS on their buses and it took a few months to get in.

• 1 month later...

Some people are hoping that Victoria Transit Commission (BC Transit) may charge the rules for dogs and allow dogs to come on with owners.

http://www.saanichnews.com/news/274520891.html

I think this is very good idea because it could increase ridership for dog owners since they can take the dogs anywhere on the bus.

Some people are hoping that Victoria Transit Commission (BC Transit) may charge the rules for dogs and allow dogs to come on with owners.

http://www.saanichnews.com/news/274520891.html

I think this is very good idea because it could increase ridership for dog owners since they can take the dogs anywhere on the bus.

I too like the idea of four-legged friends being allowed on the bus - however there should be certain restrictions put in place and ways to deal with certain situations (such as a dog misbehaving, or the bus becoming too crowded to allow dogs on board. In Seattle - dogs are permitted on transit so long as the rider pays the same fare for the dog as themselves.

If BC Transit should decide to accept dogs on transit, they should be restricted to the lower portion of the bus (not upstairs on double deckers, and not beyond the rear doors on Flyers or Novas).

I too like the idea of four-legged friends being allowed on the bus - however there should be certain restrictions put in place and ways to deal with certain situations (such as a dog misbehaving, or the bus becoming too crowded to allow dogs on board. In Seattle - dogs are permitted on transit so long as the rider pays the same fare for the dog as themselves.

If BC Transit should decide to accept dogs on transit, they should be restricted to the lower portion of the bus (not upstairs on double deckers, and not beyond the rear doors on Flyers or Novas).

Okay, I slightly agree that dogs should not be on upper level of a decker, but in back half of a Nova or a NFI Low Floor? May I ask, Why?

I am not a big fan of this idea. A small pet in a carrier is contained, so will not cause much disturbance save for possibly noise, and rarely, affecting allergy sufferers. Pets in the open require the dog to be well tempered and obedient, and the owner responsible. As the saying goes, "actual results may vary." Don't think this will fly, and dogs are not protected by constitutional rights.

Today was a real clusterfudge.

- Almost every route was running late due to the first day of high school being in.

- Decker hit/was hit by a car as it was turning left from Government onto Superior, out of service. Appears a car didn't give it enough room and the driver corner of each vehicle (car and bus) was damaged quite bad.

- Darts were out in the Peninsula, one on a 70/72 decker paddle, and one on a 75 that eventually turned into a 31 later.

- Later in the day there was a hydro pole on fire on Craigflower, forcing the already-strapped for time Route 14 to make a detour.

Today was a real clusterfudge.

- Almost every route was running late due to the first day of high school being in.

- Decker hit/was hit by a car as it was turning left from Government onto Superior, out of service. Appears a car didn't give it enough room and the driver corner of each vehicle (car and bus) was damaged quite bad.

- Darts were out in the Peninsula, one on a 70/72 decker paddle, and one on a 75 that eventually turned into a 31 later.

- Later in the day there was a hydro pole on fire on Craigflower, forcing the already-strapped for time Route 14 to make a detour.

Wow... I'm not even away for a week and look what happens... the whole system goes up the spout. xD

Okay, I slightly agree that dogs should not be on upper level of a decker, but in back half of a Nova or a NFI Low Floor? May I ask, Why?

It's only natural that you ask if you don't quite get it. I don't think they should be 'forbidden' but rather 'discouraged' from using the very back of a single-decker so it gives those who don't like dogs or those who are allergic to them somewhere to sit / stand.

Wow... I'm not even away for a week and look what happens... the whole system goes up the spout. xD

It's only natural that you ask if you don't quite get it. I don't think they should be 'forbidden' but rather 'discouraged' from using the very back of a single-decker so it gives those who don't like dogs or those who are allergic to them somewhere to sit / stand.

Today wasn't much better... even heavier traffic due to an oil truck that spilled around Trans Canada/Helmcken. Also the police were checking people's speed, although why bother when traffic is at walking pace? :unsure:

Thought I'd share two anecdotes that occurred within the last two days. Not at all related to equipment or routing or anything like that, so feel free to skip this post...

Yesterday I missed my 39 that I usually take to work (shelbourne @ mckenzie, transfer to 70/72 at R.O. Exchange). Caught a 16 uptown express, but I knew that he would get to uptown too late for me to transfer to the 70. The driver was nice enough to let me off at the Pat Bay highway stop at McKenzie (not a designated stop for the express routing), which gave me enough time to run under the overpass and get on the 70.

This evening on my way home from work I left my phone on the back seat of my 70. I ran back to the stop and jumped on a 30, told the driver what had happened and that I had been riding 9022. Driving up Government by the layover stops, he drove slowly past the row of NIS deckers until we spotted the one I had been on, and then let me off right in front of it. I was able to get my phone back with minimal hassle.

Why do I feel these experiences are worth sharing? Because the drivers are effectively the only point of contact with the system for the vast majority of users. Having drivers who are willing to go out of their way to help someone when they don't have to will absolutely boost the image of the system in the eyes of the riding public.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's been three-and-a-half years since BC Transit last ran a conventional bus through West Sidney... routes 71 and 73 ceased to exist as of the end of June 2011, when the brand new Park and Ride at McTavish opened. Now the route 71 is set to return on Monday December 29th, 2014.

http://www.bctransit.com/regions/vic/pdf/4198_route_71b.pdf

It's been three-and-a-half years since BC Transit last ran a conventional bus through West Sidney... routes 71 and 73 ceased to exist as of the end of June 2011, when the brand new Park and Ride at McTavish opened. Now the route 71 is set to return on Monday December 29th, 2014.

That good to hear that. What type of buses aka Double decker buses or single decker buses are planned to service this route?

That good to hear that. What type of buses aka Double decker buses or single decker buses are planned to service this route?

Most likely a mix of both... AFAIK the use of Double Deckers is not given an official schedule assignment (meaning one day you see a double decker, the next day you may see a Nova running the same run).

Most likely a mix of both... AFAIK the use of Double Deckers is not given an official schedule assignment (meaning one day you see a double decker, the next day you may see a Nova running the same run).

If you think that the Deckers don't have an official schedule assignment then I'm glad you aren't a dispatcher.

Regarding the new 71, it is not an exact replica of the old 71. This new one has a slightly different routing through West Sidney, and also does not do the Saanichton Exchange/Mt. Newton X routing.

I did say "AFAIK - the use of double deckers is not given an official schedule assignment..." - you learn something new every day I suppose. xD. I was judging based on everyday sightings of certain buses on certain runs that it appeared there was not a specific schedule for the use of double decker buses. Anyways now I know there is.

As for the Route 71 - I looked at the new riders' guide (effective December 29th) and indeed found that it is not an exact replica of the original route 71, still it is the first time in three years a conventional route will run through West Sidney. I heard many residents were upset that the 71 and 73 were eliminated in 2011, leaving them with a mere handful of shuttle buses every day, but again those residents were complaining of litter left by students who took the 71 or 73 home to West Sidney from school prior to the elimination of these two routes.

Specific buses are certainly assigned by dispatch to a given paddle on a given day, but that's not the same as a specific run always being assigned the same type of bus. I take the same 72 to work every day, and it will either be a decker or a conventional low floor depending on anticipated demand for the day.

Specific buses are certainly assigned by dispatch to a given paddle on a given day, but that's not the same as a specific run always being assigned the same type of bus. I take the same 72 to work every day, and it will either be a decker or a conventional low floor depending on anticipated demand for the day.

And that would probably also depend on the availability of a particular type of unit. If one run is normally assigned Double Deck units, and they are short of those units for book out, then sending a regular 40 foot conventional low floor would be dispatched out rather than cancelling the run. In Calgary, we only just recently went to an all Low Floor fleet, but before that if we did not have enough 40 foot Low floors for the days book out, we would send out a non low floor unit to cover the service book out.