2011 Edmonton and Area Spottings

DE40LFR

Oh thats interesting. they just renovated that last summer.

It was a new building, why did it get renovated?

Anyhow, the store looked closed as I went by it. The displays were barren. Unless they are up to something.

Some 'items' landed up at the office for 'liquidation' - so I assumed. (I know I shouldn't assume).

Someone told me they were gonna close (can't remember where I heard it from, probably one of the pool cashiers).

Anyhow I'll try to remember to take a closer look another day. They could have been doing some cleaning and the shelves were bare.

When I went in during the Grey Cup ceremonies it was really bare, pretty much only had stuff for the Grey Cup.

Would be interesting to find out if they are closed for good.

Took a look around the other side and there was still some stuff along the east wall. I didn't go in as I was pressed for time. There were no shoppers that I could see, and I didn't see a person at the counter, although that doesn't mean they weren't there, could be in the stock room or something. They could still be open, but it looks pretty bleak. March isn't exactly tourist season though.

The pool cashier said they are losing money keeping the store open. Maybe they should lower their prices so as not to scare people away.

Well, let's be honest. Us buying all the GM/BBC stuff from them was probably at least half their business last year.

Last time I was in there, the people at Tix on the Square/Ticketmaster were selling anything that was left in the city store, and they had very little on the shelves.

Took a look around the other side and there was still some stuff along the east wall. I didn't go in as I was pressed for time. There were no shoppers that I could see, and I didn't see a person at the counter, although that doesn't mean they weren't there, could be in the stock room or something. They could still be open, but it looks pretty bleak. March isn't exactly tourist season though.

The pool cashier said they are losing money keeping the store open. Maybe they should lower their prices so as not to scare people away.

Well there were half a dozen 'Princess Theater' posters being given away in our office this past week. And it does look bleak in the store. My friend who works at the pool (pool cashiers also work as cashiers at other City facilities) told me they were closing, to which I replied :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Glavals have a two part chime, but that was unique to them up until now.

Unit 4248 has a two part door chime (ding - dong) as opposed to the customary one toned 'ding'. I really like it. My friend on the rte 5 tonight really likes it too. Just wondering if there are any other units with this oddity?

Rode 4518 up Bellamy Hill last night on the 9, and the thing felt like it was going to fall apart.

Strathcona Composite will be a 'test group' for electronic 'youth' passes - one that is on your cell phone and you just show the driver. It will also have built in customary 'grace periods' and security feature animation.

Don't press delete and do not lose your cell phone.

• Board Admin

Interesting.

That would be easy to duplicate.

--

Caught a glimpse of this bus this morning, so went back to take pictures later.

ets32r.jpg

This is ETS 32 in the Briggs Bus Lines yard. Not sure if it's just there for warranty work or what. Looks like there's some body damage between the door and rear wheels too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Board Admin
April 14, 2011

Industry News

AECOM wins Edmonton light rail contract

AECOM Technology Corp., provider of professional technical and management support services for government and commercial clients around the world, announced that it was awarded a $32.5-million contract extension by the City of Edmonton in Alberta, Canada, to provide project management and engineering services during construction of Edmonton's Light Rail Transit (LRT) extension from downtown Edmonton to the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology.

The company recently completed the detailed design phase for the $782-million LRT extension project. Under this extended contract, AECOM will provide project management and engineering services during construction of the two-mile extension.

The construction phase of the project is scheduled to be complete by December 2013 and service to commence in April 2014.

Copyright © 2011 Metro Magazine. All Rights Reserved.

Source: http://www.metro-magazine.com/News/Story/2...ursday-20110414

• 3 weeks later...
AECOM Technology Corp., provider of professional technical and management support services for government and commercial clients around the world, announced that it was awarded a $32.5-million contract extension by the City of Edmonton in Alberta, Canada, to provide project management and engineering services during construction of Edmonton's Light Rail Transit (LRT) extension from downtown Edmonton to the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology.

But we did have wire from Downtown to NAIT. So rip it all down and build a 3 times more expensive version. I'll never understand this city.

Get ready to listen to 'Idle Policy' announcements on the radio for the next four months.

But remember that the wires were unsightly!

That's because Edmonton didn't have the proper landscaping on the streets to make them less visible. I know Vancouver does a good job with keeping the wires 'invisible' Adding just a few trees minimizes the wire-y landscape ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...