Damaged or dead vehicles

vicinity

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Saw 6057 this morning dead at southbound Centre St and Beddington Blvd, had been on the 301. Then saw it being tested this afternoon.

6006 blew an airbag northbound Centre St and 14th Ave this afternoon while on the 301. It was a barral full of fun!!!

I suspect the Operator in 5077 isn't a member of this board, so I will suggest the Operator is likely probationary and/or just started the job; if not new on the job, obviously a terrible Operator. The Operator shouldn't have run up on the curb.

That turn, while tight is completely doable without issue. When turning, an Operator just needs a bit more road space is all.

In looking at banning turns, they should be specific to the Operator on 5077. I can think of myself and other seasoned Operators in this board who have easily made that turn many times.

Right before you graduate, your training officer and your group have a meeting in which they go over key, easy to forget training points. You have to sign off on them understanding that you do them, you understand that consequences will most likely follow. Examples of this are 90km/h on Deerfoot, Splitting lanes under all CP train bridges downtown except 14 sw, 5 sw and 4 se, understanding you can't fit your bus under the CP bridge by Vic Park, trains have ROW on 7 ave, 40km/h on 7 ave, no turns onto 7 on redlight, etc. I am more then certain that the turn from 11 ave on to 11 street was on there as well. Afterall, as soon as we completed our class 2s, we were shown 2 drive cam videos of buses 0-2ing there, photos, google earth shots, drawings, even videos showing how wide a 40ft and an arti have to be to successfully make that turn. It was a 10 minute lesson about that turn. I know of 2 operators that have 0-2 and have had disciplinary action. 1 was terminated and 1 sent back to shuttle. Both probation. As for that operator, if it's who i think it is, he was still on big bus probation, from shuttle.

11 Avenue SW to 11 Street SW isn't a difficult turn, I can think of much harder turns to complete with a bus. There is no reason why 11 Street from 11 Avenue SW should be on a list of turns not recommended.

From my own experience, if I had poor road position, or was unsure of my abilities to clear the turn, I'd abandon the turn and take 14 Street SW NB to 9 Avenue SW.

The only key to 11th Ave to 11th Street is whether a vehcle is at the lights on 11th Street waiting to cross 11th Ave. If there is you need to capture more of the lane on 11th Ave, otherwise you can swing out into the oncoming lane on 11th Street. Have done this turn several times myself with no issue, yes it is tight but I don't see the reason for mounting the curb and smacking the pole like that!

• 4 weeks later...