transit boy

VIA Metropolitan Transit

Rumor has it that the 3 Proterra electric buses will not enter revenue service again, and that they will sit in the bus yard until they reach the eligible retirement requirement of 12 years.  Apparently they don't hold a charge very well and die mid-route.  VIA is also looking to purchase 7 more electric buses to replace the trolley's in the next year or two.  Also of note, the remaining 230 CNG bus contract is still up in the air.  From what I've heard, Gillig and New Flyer are being considered.

• Like 1

I haven't been to San Antonio since early Spring 1989. I remember seeing GMC RTS buses on my last visit and I was only 13 at the time. I know that the RTS buses ran until the late 1990's/early 2000's. I have no idea what replace them?!

Sad news..... the next batch of new buses (# in batch unknown at this point) are rolling in, and they are unfortunately Nova's.  Buses 693 and 696 have been delivered so far.  Now I'm trying to figure out why VIA is receiving more Nova's when they [supposedly] cancelled the order.  This also means that the days are numbered for the remaining 2001 NABI's still in service.

Update on the bus fleet:

• 44 new Nova's will be delivered this year, only 16 have been delivered so far and are in service.
  • The Nova contract was NOT cancelled, somebody apparently started that rumor to get everyone's hopes up.
  • The 47 remaining 2001 NABI 40-LFW's were placed into storage last Friday, meaning they will never see service again.  They are awaiting final preparations for retirement.
  • Thanks 1

The retirement of the NABI's has begun.  5 have been painted white and placed in the graveyard.  It seems like they are doing a bus every day.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:48 PM, Comuter25 said:

Do you know what routes the remaining nabi's serve ?

The NABI's were removed from service last week.  They won't run on any route again.

• Thanks 1