VIA Metropolitan Transit

transit boy

I was justing on the Wiki and I was wondering if they have any new buses.

The best case scenario would be for you to actually ask the folks if they received any new buses.

If that doesn't work for ya, you can click here. Unless there's any other new bus that hasn't been photographed yet, there's the DE40LFR bus as well as the restyled NABI 40-LFW CNG bus. Good luck!

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

During my stay in Texas, I also visited San Antonio. They now have 15 NABI 60-BRT CNGs in service on the Primo (Route 100) line, which is the BRT line serving Fredricksburg Road. In the future, it'll be extended to other corridors. The 60-BRTs have screens that display route and service info. They're equipped with the ISL-G/B500R combo, and boy do them trannies make serious sound effects!

Other interesting obeservations:

All of the New Flyer D40LFs have ZF transmissions, but only 200-260 have Detroit Diesel S50's. All others have ISL.

It appears that VIA has rebuilt some of their NABI 40LFWs using ARRA funds. I saw the stickers on a few of the 700-series units. Also, they might have first ISL-powered buses produced.

I never knew they ran propane-fueled buses only until 2000, but they actually did!

Wiki Page and Roster updated!

For VIA photos: https://plus.google.com/photos/115516429747907759416/albums/5845091994382480065?banner=pwa

Audio Recordings: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=4c4729896a34058d&id=4C4729896A34058D!224&sc=documents#cid=4C4729896A34058D&id=4C4729896A34058D!1479&sc=documents

VIDEOS:

#219:

#342:

#379:

#766:

#955:

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 5/18/2016 at 10:34 AM, Seashore_518203 said:

Off topic for this topic, but here is a shot of one of the San Antonio XN40 buses on delivery on April 26, 2016. The photo was taken on I-35 between Ames and Des Moines, IA. The destination sign said 3-San Pedro, and along with the number that falls in line with recent delivieries, I am pretty sure that this bus was destined for VIA.

VIA Transit 415 - 26APR16.jpg

Here's a photo of another one, 406, on Flickr. Sounds like they'll be on the new VIVA routes?

406 XN40 New Flyer photo by Flickr user Ben

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

VIA is getting new Xcelsiors and new LFS buses in the same year? Seems unusual!

Overall, this TA has one of the most diverse fleets in the US, am I right? NABI 40 and 60 footers, NFI DE40LFRs, D40LF, XN40, now LFS buses? Are you kidding me? Are those CNG powered? If so, who else has CNG Novas?

16 hours ago, Chris H said:

What reviews are VIA riders and drivers giving about the LFS?

So far I've only seen the pilot bus at the event this past Saturday when it was on display.  It's not yet in service.  Riders and drivers who saw the bus said they like the wider front door, the information displays, and the brightness.  However they complained about the seating layout, how small the bus seems compared to others, how ugly the front looks, how small the wheelchair securement area is, and driver controls.

Personally I don't like Nova's at all.  I will admit that some of them do look stylish, like the ones Capital Metro has in Austin.  But it's just something about the overall layout/design about the bus that throws me off.  I honestly would've been happier if VIA bought more Xcelsiors, or even Gillig for that matter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, transit addict 327 said:

So far I've only seen the pilot bus at the event this past Saturday when it was on display.  It's not yet in service.  Riders and drivers who saw the bus said they like the wider front door, the information displays, and the brightness.  However they complained about the seating layout, how small the bus seems compared to others, how ugly the front looks, how small the wheelchair securement area is, and driver controls.

Personally I don't like Nova's at all.  I will admit that some of them do look stylish, like the ones Capital Metro has in Austin.  But it's just something about the overall layout/design about the bus that throws me off.  I honestly would've been happier if VIA bought more Xcelsiors, or even Gillig for that matter.

Thanks for the report! I like the front of this and most LFS buses. I wonder why the bus seems small? Must be the interior layout.

• 3 months later...

Finally saw one of the new Nova's on the street today, it was operating as a training bus downtown.  From what I can see, there has to be at least 20-40 buses in the yard, all have license plates and are ready for service.  However all drivers now have to be trained to operate the new buses, so it still might be a while before they go into service.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

VIA is selling $82 million worth in bonds to buy 270 more CNG buses:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/news/2017/02/03/via-selling-82-million-in-bonds-to-buy-natural-gas.html

Reading the article, it states that the bond sale will 'double' the number of CNG buses being purchased, so it seems that they are actually buying 135 more buses in addition to the 135 already on order = 270 buses.

Regarding the NABI fleet - were all of these buses rebuilt using Federal stimulus funds, or just part of the fleet?  Are the rebuilds the ones in the newer silver scheme with the various colors?

52 minutes ago, RailBus63 said:

Regarding the NABI fleet - were all of these buses rebuilt using Federal stimulus funds, or just part of the fleet?  Are the rebuilds the ones in the newer silver scheme with the various colors?

Out of 217 NABI's, around 80 or so were rebuilt with the stimulus funds.  However not all of the rebuilt buses got repainted into the silver paint scheme with the different colored waves.

• 3 weeks later...