St Louis Metro

Chris H

Correct! Illinois (SCCTD)Metro also has a few phantoms that still run routes in IL. Dennis a Madison County Transit driver tells me what units he sees. Seen 2003 on Fox 2 this morning behind the live shot. Most of them will eventually become non revenue units and be used as (training, redbird express, ETC). I also learned that 7251-7253 might have replaced 3221-3223. I believe they are IL buses. 

Dennis does the Madison County Transit, 5 Tri City and goes to Emerson Park Metro Link in East Saint Louis. 

Okay.. So here is the phantoms that are left list... 

Illinois: 3113 3114 3116 3117 3118 3119 3120 3124 3125 3126 3127 3201 3203 3204 3205 3206 3208 3209 3211 3212   

DeBaliviere: 2018 2031 2033 2038 3116 3128 3137 3161 3173 3175 3176 3178 3185 3188 3202     

Brentwood: 2003 2007 2008 2010 2011 2013 2019 2026 2037 2044 2055 3166 3192    

Illinois Reserve/ Training/ RedBird Express: 2001 2022 2023 2056 2057 2059 2060 2061 3101 3134 3143 3152 3159 3163 3183 3199

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2019 at 9:51 PM, The Neoplan Rider Studios said:

According to Wikipedia,

Bi-State Development Agency, dba Metro, has a small fleet of Neoplan Buses for its MetroBus service, and since March 30, 2009, has retired them.

FB_IMG_1551412077011.jpg

Yes, they were 1995 or 1996 models, with the L10G and Allison transmission, they were LNG buses.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

The Gillig Phantoms, they're scarce now. I managed to see 2038 running the 70 Grand on Wednesday. I was surprised to see it as I haven't seen the Phantoms in a while. I even had a quick chat with the driver and he said it was his baby and loves driving it. Its sad to see the high floor era in St. Louis will soon be coming to an end.

Also, Metro recently (September 30th) changed some routes and schedules under the program Metro Re-imagined. Metro is in the process of rebranding as STL Metro and as such introduced a new paint scheme for both buses and Metrolink trains.

Here is a picture of a St. Louis Metro bus with the new design. Official roll out should be sometime in January 2020.

IMG_5017.JPG

• Like 2

That livery is a great update IMO, it's sharp but not gaudy and should still look good in 10-15 years. The current scheme wasn't bad, but was definitely getting a bit dated.

Also branding as STL Metro is a nice touch. Yes it's not some rocket science marketing name, but it is unique and certainly fits the system. Better than continuing to go by 'Metro' like the other 800 or so agencies.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, cschnur15 said:

Yep! Also their new 30 footers. First since 2002. The Metrolink trains will also be recieving a new paint job, and a few have already recieved a new paint job. Great picture Chris! 

According to this article, some of the new Gillig Low Floor 29 footers will be Illinois buses operated for St. Clair County Transit District.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Question. As a guy from Kansas City planning to visit next year, I noticed Metro STL runs a Stadium Express, or Redbird Express. Is that done with public or private funds? 

I ask since RideKC shut down their stadium express buses a while ago because of Federal Charter regulations. I was wondering how STL gets around that.

Also I am in love with your guys fleet over there.

4 hours ago, SilentSpades said:

I ask since RideKC shut down their stadium express buses a while ago because of Federal Charter regulations. I was wondering how STL gets around that.

Are you sure RideKC shut down the expresses because of Federal rules? Many tranist agencies still offer game day express/parking lot shuttles for college and professional sports teams and plenty of other special events. The Federal rules are just to make sure that publicly funded transit agencies don't lowball their bids for contracts. Essentially, tranist agencies have to charge the third party the full cost of the service they provide. That tends to be higher than what a private operator would charge. Even though it's more expensive, the transit agency usually still wins for a myriad of reasons. Flexibility, recognition, quality professional drivers etc.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the compliment! Anyway I am from Madison County, IL which boarders St. Louis, and St. Clair counties. Anyway Redbird Express is over for the season, but it was never cancelled. It was once due to a driver strike but it resumed later in the season.  The Phantoms and the refurbished units run the Redbird Express. 

10 hours ago, orionbuslover said:

Are you sure RideKC shut down the expresses because of Federal rules? Many tranist agencies still offer game day express/parking lot shuttles for college and professional sports teams and plenty of other special events. The Federal rules are just to make sure that publicly funded transit agencies don't lowball their bids for contracts. Essentially, tranist agencies have to charge the third party the full cost of the service they provide. That tends to be higher than what a private operator would charge. Even though it's more expensive, the transit agency usually still wins for a myriad of reasons. Flexibility, recognition, quality professional drivers etc.

Well Federal Regulations have been the reason that's been used for not operating the services anymore. Then again who knows if they're telling the truth or not.

4 hours ago, cschnur15 said:

Thanks for the compliment! Anyway I am from Madison County, IL which boarders St. Louis, and St. Clair counties. Anyway Redbird Express is over for the season, but it was never cancelled. It was once due to a driver strike but it resumed later in the season.  The Phantoms and the refurbished units run the Redbird Express. 

Man I miss our Phantoms. Been 6 years since RideKC operated any. 

Anyhow, So is the Express only to Illinois, or are there other routes throughout STL? I'd prefer not to uber to the stadium. 

4 hours ago, cschnur15 said:

You can take our Madison County Transit, 1X, 5, 14X, or 16X to St. Louis from Madison County. Or Metrolink into Missouri.  And I do too. 

How close would that get me to the game? Haven't picked a hotel yet, but want something that will connect well with Transit. (Not Metrolink tho)

1 hour ago, cschnur15 said:

Depends on where you pick your hotel. I would stay in Edwardsville-STL area and avoid Granite City/East St. Louis area though, hotels their are ratty. 

Thanks. By the way, do y'all still have those New Flyer D60LF buses? I noticed the 70 runs every 10 minutes, just wondered if it still used the artics.

Also, whats STL ridership like? Just curious

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 12:55 AM, SilentSpades said:

Thanks. By the way, do y'all still have those New Flyer D60LF buses? I noticed the 70 runs every 10 minutes, just wondered if it still used the artics.

Also, whats STL ridership like? Just curious

There are artics on the 70 Grand. You should see 3-4 D60LFs on that route on a weekday, but there will also be Gilligs doing the 70 as well. Weekends that route only uses 40ft Gilligs.

Ridership in STL is steadily declining each year, but certain routes do well such as the 1 Gold and 2 Red do well because those routes travel to and from Washington University. A good place to watch buses is at Central West End outside the BJC campus near the Metrolink station there.

You might be able to catch a Phantom at the CWE transit center during rush hour time. However, Phantoms are getting so rare now here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's some pics from a very quick visit to St Louis in 2014. My 90 minutes proved quite productive for transit photos! Even then, the Phantoms were rapidly dwindling -- though I didn't have to look too hard for 'em at 14th & Market. Surprised to hear that any are still around...

Can't leave the Lou without a pic like this:

STL2026.thumb.jpg.7fb460196766c82d76ebee01b4c7cc85.jpg

Reference shot, where typical early 2000s Phantom body features are on display:

STL2043.thumb.jpg.70e5f6b5f58065366dd57535540bbec7.jpg

Here's 2056, looking toward Downtown as she prepares for an afternoon outbound trip:

STL2056.thumb.jpg.7cefc74c318b6d0a01c803998ecc9f5b.jpg

Couldn't quite get two Phantoms in the same place; had to settle for dreary Gillig LFs competing with their better-looking older brothers for attention:

STL3187.thumb.jpg.7276bd4ff984c15fa85582015866c9ee.jpg

]STL3853.thumb.jpg.dd68687c589dd8036fd2f6fabf471759.jpg

I never could determine the vehicle number ranges for the Phantoms -- they were kind of all over the place. Anyone have any roster info?

At the time, the OC Transp... uh, I mean used D60LF artics were just showing up. Then, as now, exclusively on 70 Grand route:

STL2207.thumb.jpg.88540ddcbf8fbe63fcb127fb921cb662.jpg

I always thought that was a cool paint scheme, but they went a little overboard with the black on the D60LFs (and on the Gillig LFs, for that matter). This scheme would have looked sharper with maybe a little more blue.

Oh well -- looking forward to seeing the roll-out of the new STL paint scheme.

Enjoy!

• Like 4

On 1/5/2020 at 10:04 PM, neoartic7101 said:

KCATA/The Jo ended service not because if federal. $$$ and ridership

I do remember it being cut around the time of the huge shortfall, but from what I had been told is because regulations restricted it. Which if they have to operate and charge at market cost someone mentioned above, makes a lot of sense in perspective.