GRT Strasburg Garage Expansion

GRT Strasburg Expansion

The GRT maintenance and storage facility located at 250 Strasburg Rd. in Kitchener is presently operating beyond capacity. Therefore the expansion currently being designed by Morrison Hershfield and Strasman Architects Inc. will increase the bus maintenance and storage capacity from the current 162 to its maximum capacity of 250 buses at this facility.

The scope of this project is to construct a new maintenance building and move all maintenance functions including offices and parts stockroom into the new building. Existing maintenance areas will then be renovated into bus storage and various other required rooms. Construction of the new building is contingent on the city of Kitchener vacating land north and west of the current property. Chandler Dr. will be relocated further north, adjacent to the expressway, allowing for more site area to construct the new building. We are anticipating a three year construction schedule with a 2014 completion.

The new maintenance building is being designed to achieve LEED Silver certification. The renovation of the existing building will not be LEED certified, however, it will be designed and constructed using the same green principles as the new building.

GRT Strasburg Expansion

The GRT maintenance and storage facility located at 250 Strasburg Rd. in Kitchener is presently operating beyond capacity. Therefore the expansion currently being designed by Morrison Hershfield and Strasman Architects Inc. will increase the bus maintenance and storage capacity from the current 162 to its maximum capacity of 250 buses at this facility.

The scope of this project is to construct a new maintenance building and move all maintenance functions including offices and parts stockroom into the new building. Existing maintenance areas will then be renovated into bus storage and various other required rooms. Construction of the new building is contingent on the city of Kitchener vacating land north and west of the current property. Chandler Dr. will be relocated further north, adjacent to the expressway, allowing for more site area to construct the new building. We are anticipating a three year construction schedule with a 2014 completion.

The new maintenance building is being designed to achieve LEED Silver certification. The renovation of the existing building will not be LEED certified, however, it will be designed and constructed using the same green principles as the new building.

Architechtural sketches attached ................

GRT_Garage.bmp

GRT_Garage_2.bmp

GRT_Garage_3.bmp

GRT_Garage_4.bmp

GRT_Garage_5.bmp

GRT_Garage.bmp

GRT_Garage_2.bmp

GRT_Garage_3.bmp

GRT_Garage_4.bmp

GRT_Garage_5.bmp

GRT_Garage.bmp

GRT_Garage_2.bmp

GRT_Garage_3.bmp

GRT_Garage_4.bmp

GRT_Garage_5.bmp

GRT_Garage.bmp

GRT_Garage_2.bmp

GRT_Garage_3.bmp

GRT_Garage_4.bmp

GRT_Garage_5.bmp

GRT_Garage.bmp

GRT_Garage_2.bmp

GRT_Garage_3.bmp

GRT_Garage_4.bmp

GRT_Garage_5.bmp

Architechtural sketches attached ................

GRT_Garage.bmp

GRT_Garage_2.bmp

GRT_Garage_3.bmp

GRT_Garage_4.bmp

GRT_Garage_5.bmp

Nice pictures, so this expansion will take over the parking lot where 793 is parked?

Nice pictures, so this expansion will take over the parking lot where 793 is parked?

Yes, it will. There is a planned "realignment" of Strasburg/Chandler, to have Strasburg continue straight towards the Expressway then turn sharply left running through the 'City of Kitchener property', until it reconnects with the existing Chandler up near the first apartment building backing onto the X-way.

There is/was a proposed layout of that on here at one time. I'll see if I can locate it again.

Yes, it will. There is a planned "realignment" of Strasburg/Chandler, to have Strasburg continue straight towards the Expressway then turn sharply left running through the 'City of Kitchener property', until it reconnects with the existing Chandler up near the first apartment building backing onto the X-way.

There is/was a proposed layout of that on here at one time. I'll see if I can locate it again.

Now the only question left to ask is... When will the City of Kitchener be finally moving from that location?

• 4 months later...
hey everybody i was near the Garage today and looks like the city of kitchener has moved out from across the road

Yes, they are officially gone. There were Moving company trucks there earlier this week, and there was also a "Tender" ad in The Record this week too, seeking Tenders for "decommissioning" the property. (With the fuel tanks on site, I wonder what kind of "contamination" they'll find, and how long it will take to remediate the property?)

Good grief, about time. Now they can start expanding the garage!! In the meantime, where are the 37 buses we're getting this year going to be parked at? :P

I think I heard a rumor that they are proposing parking them across the street, in the Zellers parking lot. :D

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So the rumour is that the expansion is about 8-9 weeks ahead of schedule, they might actually finish this thing on time :D

I know the weathers been favorable for construction, however, I wonder if this "early finish" will equate to "huge bonus" for the general contractor? Makes you wonder.

Well if he can get the work done early, with all the other Region contractors who always seem to go looonng over schedule he deserves that bonus, but lets be honest here, despite what every one seem to think money does not grow on trees for government. At the end of the day they are being held accountable for the dollars and cents that are spent.

I know the weathers been favorable for construction, however, I wonder if this "early finish" will equate to "huge bonus" for the general contractor? Makes you wonder.

I doubt it. There's generally penalties for being late, but I've not seen rewards for an early finish in typical Regional purchasing. Their reward is that they're done early, and either save or direct to other ends the labour and other ongoing costs of construction.

• 1 month later...