Commuter Rail

13 hours ago, Transitfan39 said:

Would that include Campbellton?

The VIA Rail station in downtown Halifax is a far east as you can go and it wouldn't include serving Campbellton....600 km northwest of Halifax.

Perhaps what you are thinking of is the regional rail system proposed by VIA last fall that would included services linking Moncton with Halifax and Campbellton.

• 2 weeks later...

HRM councillor believes commuter rail is the path to greener future
Fram Dinshaw Staff Reporter
thechronicleherald.ca
Published August 14, 2016 - 8:45pm

a three-year commuter rail pilot project [...]

a typical commuter train would have two carriages and be powered by a Dayliner diesel locomotive.
[...]
Estimated up-front capital costs of the project range from $36-$62 million, according to a report tabled before Council Aug. 2. The annual net operating cost — or operating cost minus incremental revenues — thereafter is estimated to be about $8 million per year.
[...]
“It could be up within the year if it all goes well,” said Outhit.

I would guess a "Dayliner diesel locomotive" is a reconditioned Budd RDC. Have there been examples of RDC's pulling trains of a couple of coaches?

• 1 year later...

I was wondering what ever happened to this project.  Here's an update from the Halifax Chronicle Herald ...

Halifax councillor says commuter rail may soon get green light
STUART PEDDLE The Chronicle Herald
Published October 17, 2017 - 8:04pm
Last Updated October 18, 2017 - 8:28am

[Halifax Councillor Tim Outhit] said the studies are basically done. The proposal just needs data on access capacity and the pricing from CN, which owns the existing rail structure. He expects that will come sometime early in the next year.

[...]

“It’s never been closer,” Outhit said. “I can’t tell people we’re going to have commuter rail. I can tell them there’s never been better support from a willing partner like Via, we’ve never had more council and public support. And staff support. We’re going to have the IMP recommending that it’s probably the best way to go in this area.”

He said once everything gets a green light, it could be up and running within a year to a year-and-a-half.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...