Toronto Emergency Services

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Spotted former R341 in Scarborough this evening. Was parked on Bellamy Road North facing west. Also it had a different number, R5531. Must have been replaced by a new unit. Hope I get to see it again somewhere. Pretty sure this was a one of order with the former City of York.

341rescue.jpg

Former R341 when it was stationed at Station 341 [John Hanley photo]

Spotted former R341 in Scarborough this evening. Was parked on Bellamy Road North facing west. Also it had a different number, R5531. Must have been replaced by a new unit. Hope I get to see it again somewhere. Pretty sure this was a one of order with the former City of York.

Nice. We got one of those in Montreal too. Montreal's is 1997 Volvo FE42/Superior out of station 57. Is the one in T.O. a 97 as well?

Yes its a former City of York unit, its now a spare rig

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I was doing some searching on google to see what TPS will be ordering now that the Crown Victoria has ended production and found the following article:

Toronto cops stock up on cruisers

With Ford’s decision to cancel production of full-size Crown Victorias, Toronto Police filled a rooftop with enough of the cars to last up to three years.

The 300 cruisers cost about $5 million, but the bulk purchase saved taxpayers $1.5 million, according to Const. Tony Vella.

Built only in St. Thomas until production stopped last September, the last North American rear-wheel-drive V-8s were “found to suit our purposes,” Vella said.

Once available privately, “Crown Vics” were produced exclusively for fleet orders in recent years.

Most cruisers were branded “Police Interceptor,” with heavier-duty engines, transmissions and electrical systems, plus revamped steering and rear suspensions.

Big patrol cars were once common, including the Dodge Diplomat, Ford Galaxie, and Chevrolet Caprice.

Toronto Police last bought Caprices in the late 1980s. General Motors stopped producing them in 1996.

Except for special squads that use SUVs and vans, plus tests with other vehicles including mid-size Chevrolet Impalas, Crown Victorias remain Toronto’s patrol car of choice.

The stockpiled white Crowns on the roof of the Traffic Services building in Liberty Village will eventually replace old cruisers. Until then, they are checked and started periodically.

Cop cruisers typically last up to three years before they’re stripped of equipment and sold.

The OPP uses Crown Victorias and SUVs while regional forces have a variety of North American vehicles.

There have been alternatives to the big gas-guzzlers, but smaller GM and Chrysler four-door cars left some officers complaining about gear-jammed interiors, low ceilings, front-wheel drive handling and restricted visibility.

Since Ford’s 2009 announcement of the Crown Vic’s demise, fierce competition began for cruiser markets.

General Motors reprised an old brand in 2010 when it unveiled a V-8 patrol car. Made in Australia starting last year, the new Caprice bears a close resemblance to the GM-related Holden Commodore.

Some U.S. forces ordered the 2011 Holden Statesman. The RCMP use Jaguars and Land Rovers in B.C.

In mid-2010, Chrysler unveiled a 2011 Charger Pursuit, available with V-6 or V-8 motors. Many North American forces use Dodge Magnums and low-slung Chargers.

http://www.torontosu...-up-on-cruisers (Click on link to see photo)

I guess were going to have to wait a little longer before we see something other than Crown Victoria's roaming Toronto streets.

I was doing some searching on google to see what TPS will be ordering now that the Crown Victoria has ended production and found the following article:

I guess were going to have to wait a little longer before we see something other than Crown Victoria's roaming Toronto streets.

I think the TPS should stalk up on the Impala 9c1 I know the seating and height issues for members isn't too popular comfort wise, from what I've heard still it isn't that bad. I think the issues that officers most look at are that there is a column shifter. This is just what I have heard from my police role play and from Blueline forums

Any one that went on the TTS London Classic charter would have seen that London Police did the same thing too.

• 1 month later...

469663_10151023743620960_1853939627_o.jpg

Didn't even have to leave Hamilton to snap this TPS cruiser. Did a double-take when I saw him sitting and King and Hughson, most likely coming from the courthouse. Seems weird that Toronto would send one of their own all the way to Toronto for a court-related matter though.

469663_10151023743620960_1853939627_o.jpg

Didn't even have to leave Hamilton to snap this TPS cruiser. Did a double-take when I saw him sitting and King and Hughson, most likely coming from the courthouse. Seems weird that Toronto would send one of their own all the way to Toronto for a court-related matter though.

They could have been either picking up or dropping off someone that had a warrant.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

It looks like those 300 Crown Victorias the TPS had stored didn't last too long. It looks like the TPS has picked up some Ford Taurus' as well as Explorers, which were on the scene of this incident on the news just now. The Taurus' fleet number was 6012 (Traffic Services I assuming since it's a 60XX). A quick search on google and I found this photos off Twitter. It's going to be odd seeing these running around, I'm so use to seeing just Crown Victorias.

It looks like those 300 Crown Victorias the TPS had stored didn't last too long. It looks like the TPS has picked up some Ford Taurus' as well as Explorers, which were on the scene of this incident on the news just now. The Taurus' fleet number was 6012 (Traffic Services I assuming since it's a 60XX). A quick search on google and I found this photos off Twitter. It's going to be odd seeing these running around, I'm so use to seeing just Crown Victorias.

TPS is testing small batch of them as the Crown Vics will not last forever. Yes 60XX is traffic services

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Thanks. I wasn't sure if they were going to go with an identity change as well as the name change. It appears Waterloo EMS is on their 2nd graphics change in a year or so. They have now changed from Orange and White to Bright yellow graphics. It seems be a popular colour for a lot of services now.