Station Refurbishments/Extensions (Outside the downtown)

mersar

No kidding nobody knows what's going on.

The map I saw here http://www.calgarytransit.com/alerts/lt.ph...AJeD0wDDlREAFAE indicates the shuttle runs solely between Southland and Heritage, but the schedule underneath says Southland and Anderson. WTF?

I will admit, running the shuttle via Haddon between Southland and Heritage makes far more sense in terms of speed and service than going to Anderson which is on the other side of the tracks, necessitating a route with far too many intersections with traffic lights. Might also be better for utilization of the park and ride at Southland, though why people would drive to Southland, only to take a bus to a train might not make much sense.

They've changed the columns on the schedule to read Heritage, although the title still says Anderson, so it seems it will be going to Heritage. There will probably be a lot of people still parking at Southland during the first week at least, just due to the terrible job that's been done of informing people of the closure. Though I have to disagree with you on the routing, Haddon Rd is a very slow trip, with school zones and plenty of speed bumps. If they were to run in on Southport Rd to Anderson it would probably be faster.

All buses servicing Southland should be detoured to Anderson end of story, the park and ride at Anderson should accommodate most of the cars that park at Southland.

All buses that serve Southland already run to another LRT station except the 16 and 84. No real need to reroute any except those.

No kidding nobody knows what's going on.

The map I saw here http://www.calgarytransit.com/alerts/lt.ph...AJeD0wDDlREAFAE indicates the shuttle runs solely between Southland and Heritage, but the schedule underneath says Southland and Anderson. WTF?

I will admit, running the shuttle via Haddon between Southland and Heritage makes far more sense in terms of speed and service than going to Anderson which is on the other side of the tracks, necessitating a route with far too many intersections with traffic lights. Might also be better for utilization of the park and ride at Southland, though why people would drive to Southland, only to take a bus to a train might not make much sense.

Jon

Would you believe that earlier in the week when they initially routed 556 to Anderson, it was only for 30 minutes frequency? That would have been ludicrous.

Would you believe that earlier in the week when they initially routed 556 to Anderson, it was only for 30 minutes frequency? That would have been ludicrous.

Really? That must have made for quite the layover! Would have gone well with the 92/96 <_<

1/3 of the platform on the south side has had its sides removed (basically about where the yellow line was/where the platform overhangs)

No operator announcements, not just confusing passengers but also panicking them... keep this up and HELP intercoms are going to start getting pulled. And no trouncer announcements being skipped either so you get the wrong station announcements until the operator realizes (which, on the trains I was on meant Somerset and Erlton Stampede stations.)

But yes, I understand it's only the first day.

• 2 weeks later...
1/3 of the platform on the south side has had its sides removed (basically about where the yellow line was/where the platform overhangs)

All of the south section of the platform (except for the supports underneath) has now been removed.

Also, I took a peek inside the station building today and noticed that the escalator is still running! :P

The majority of the "wood" paneling at Whitehorn Station on the underside of the canopy is now done. As well, the new shelters and general platform layout is starting to come together. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to look at the inside of the station, however by now I expect the former up-escalator is gone.

At Southland Station, a lot of the ground directly south of the platform has ben dug up. In terms of changes to the actual platform, not much has happened since xqc13's post above, although the south portion of where the platform used to be has been dug up as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was at Whitehorn Station today, and since nobody has posted an update in a while, figured I might as well. No pictures though, sorry. The new canopy is pretty much done, all the wood paneling on the bottom side is done, the new lights are in, supports for various signs are in (and some signs are already up) The top of the canopy also looked done. The middle is still fenced off, the new shelters are still being built as are various other things (billboards, help intercoms, etc). The new ground level crossing looks just about finished, fare machines, some signs and some fences looks to be all that's needed. Doesn't look like there will be any barriers though which seems kind of odd (I thought that was the new style -- they makes sense).

Inside the station, the doors at platform level have been ripped out (yes, it gets breezy and cold in there!). I do wonder what they're doing though..maybe sliding doors or similar? The old up escalator is completely gone. A new walkway to the new elevator is in place, and the elevator's shaft is coming along. It looks like they had to cut out part of the roof for it to fit..possibly for an MRL elevator? The old down escalator is being gutted, I'm assuming they're going to completely replace it with a new one, or at the very least completely refurbish it.

Upstairs, the east side is still blocked off. On the west side, the new windows are in (they look really good). Not much else different up there; the doors are still in place though.

If you have some free time, I'd highly recommend going up there to see it. It's coming along nicely and you can really start to see the improvements now. Great job to CT, the designers, and the contractors. The station looks AMAZING. :P

There's now blue fence sectioning off the north end of Brentwood station. It continues past the station for roughly one train car length :) I guess it's next!

I'd imagine that extension is going to be a relatively easy one to manage. Take out the ramps and stairs, put grade beams in, drop precast panels on, replace ramps and stairs and done.

What other stations are going to be relatively simple to extend? I'd guess not many...

Jon

I'd imagine that extension is going to be a relatively easy one to manage. Take out the ramps and stairs, put grade beams in, drop precast panels on, replace ramps and stairs and done.

What other stations are going to be relatively simple to extend? I'd guess not many...

Jon

Some of the NE would, but they are likely to do more extensive renos like they did at Whitehorn at a lot of the older stations. Canyon Meadows should also be fairly easy. Banff trail might be not too bad either.

There's now blue fence sectioning off the north end of Brentwood station. It continues past the station for roughly one train car length :) I guess it's next!
w

Inbound there is a new 20 km/h slow order at Brentwood. Outbound there is one for 40 km/h. A section of GM barrier was removed yesterday and today asphalt was poured over the inbound track approaching Brentwood to give contractors vehicle access from Crowchild. Left lane on Crowchild South is supposed to be closed 9 am to 4pm daily from June to October (as per a sign I saw). The slow orders are probably here until Brentwood becomes a 4 car platform.

Some of the NE would, but they are likely to do more extensive renos like they did at Whitehorn at a lot of the older stations. Canyon Meadows should also be fairly easy. Banff trail might be not too bad either.

I'd reckon 39th Avenue will be pretty easy, since they're extending it down into the tunnel...and Fish Creek should be a snap as well. Question is the first 3 stops in the Northwest: Sunnyside, SAIT and Lions Park. They all seem to be in places where space is at a premium and/or have a critical grade crossing.

I'd reckon 39th Avenue will be pretty easy, since they're extending it down into the tunnel...and Fish Creek should be a snap as well. Question is the first 3 stops in the Northwest: Sunnyside, SAIT and Lions Park. They all seem to be in places where space is at a premium and/or have a critical grade crossing.

Except that I believe 39th Avenue is going to be completely replaced as the concrete is wearing away. At Sunnyside and Lions Park the south pedestrian crossing could just be moved south a bit further. SAIT, however..good luck :P

http://www.calgarytransit.com/html/lrt_pla...nstruction.html

Nope, Canyon Meadows hasn't been touched. Interestingly, while the update has been updated for Southland (completion date) and Brentwood (currently under construction), it still lists the Canyon Meadows start date as May. I think planning to extend Erlton during the stampede is going to be a bad idea.

There are new seats at Southland now towards the south end. 2 sets of the type at all downtown & NE stations. I wouldn't mind so much if the seats didn't get rusty and disgusting after 18 months of "use".

I also noticed at Southland along the OB track there's a sign "3 car stop line". I guess that, unlike Whitehorn, trains will only be pulling up to the 3car mark? Or is it only until the 4th car length of the station is done?

Nope, Canyon Meadows hasn't been touched. Interestingly the website has now been updated listing Brentwood as under construction, but it still lists Canyon Meadows as starting in May. As well, I think planning to extend Erlton during the stampede is going to be a bad idea.

There is construction going on at Brentwood, went by it today. Was told the other day that Brentwood is next.

Went by Whitehorn today and everything is setting up nicely...anyone know what else needs to be done?

Whatever it is, it will be done next weekend. Work changes for all NE operators on June 18 and 19th. Trains running from Rundle to 10 St on 202 line. 201 should be unaffected.