Sign in to follow this  
WpgBusDriver

Blue Bus

Anybody know the story on this bus? Why the blue paint? I t appears to be at the University of Manitoba

From what I have read in a book about Flyer the Blue Bus was orignally a demonstration Bus that Flyer sent around. Winnipeg Transit got it as a demo for the 700 series of Flyers and when they purchased that series from Flyer they numbered it 700 and repainted it in Winnipeg 's old colours of orange and cream which I wish they would have kept.

From what I have read in a book about Flyer the Blue Bus was orignally a demonstration Bus that Flyer sent around. Winnipeg Transit got it as a demo for the 700 series of Flyers and when they purchased that series from Flyer they numbered it 700 and repainted it in Winnipeg 's old colours of orange and cream which I wish they would have kept.

Thanks. Do you know when this was? Wasn't the 700s the small Flyers, or was that number series later.

Thanks. Do you know when this was? Wasn't the 700s the small Flyers, or was that number series later.

I believe this picture would have been taken in the spring of 1968, in front of the old bookstore in the centre of the U of M campus. This was shortly before the delivery of the first 65 of the Flyer transits (D700 model), which were delivered in 1968 as fleet numbers 601-665. The 700 demo was then retained by Winnipeg, repainted into the orange and cream, and renumbered to 666.

By 1973, Winnipeg had a total of 255 of the first generation Flyers in service - D700 models 601-666 and D700A models 301-380, 821-894 and 901-935. All these buses were 40 footers. They replaced all remaining trolley buses, which ended service on November 30, 1970, along with a number of other diesel buses from the 1950s.

You're correct that the 700 series was used for the smaller 35 foot D800A-9635 models, which arrived around 1975, and were numbered 701-745. Brandon also received two of these buses as an "add on" to the Winnipeg order.

You're correct that the 700 series was used for the smaller 35 foot D800A-9635 models, which arrived around 1975, and were numbered 701-745. Brandon also received two of these buses as an "add on" to the Winnipeg order.

Buses #19 and #20

6v71 engine with a Spicer 183 2 speed transmission.

Does anybody have a sound bite of this power train combo?

They sounded different than the GMC 2 speed combo

I've never found a sound bite of the Flyer Spicer combo on Y tube.

Buses #19 and #20

6v71 engine with a Spicer 183 2 speed transmission.

Does anybody have a sound bite of this power train combo?

They sounded different than the GMC 2 speed combo

I've never found a sound bite of the Flyer Spicer combo on Y tube.

There is one of a Flyer E800 that was converted to diesel in Vancouver:

As well, an old Flxible New Look from 1963 in Seattle with the Spicer and 6V71N as well as a Jake brake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKgohyxnFZs

And another one of the same above bus with higher speeds:

. I hope these help.

There is one of a Flyer E800 that was converted to diesel in Vancouver:

As well, an old Flxible New Look from 1963 in Seattle with the Spicer and 6V71N as well as a Jake brake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKgohyxnFZs

And another one of the same above bus with higher speeds:

. I hope these help.

Yes the first link sounds exactly like the old Brandon Transit 2 speed Flyers other than it seems to have a higher gear ratio in the rear end.

Thank you very much

I believe this picture would have been taken in the spring of 1968, in front of the old bookstore in the centre of the U of M campus. This was shortly before the delivery of the first 65 of the Flyer transits (D700 model), which were delivered in 1968 as fleet numbers 601-665. The 700 demo was then retained by Winnipeg, repainted into the orange and cream, and renumbered to 666.

By 1973, Winnipeg had a total of 255 of the first generation Flyers in service - D700 models 601-666 and D700A models 301-380, 821-894 and 901-935. All these buses were 40 footers. They replaced all remaining trolley buses, which ended service on November 30, 1970, along with a number of other diesel buses from the 1950s.

A real blast from the past! I remember riding 700 in its demo year, and later as 666 in its years of service until 1973, when I left Winnipeg. There were no cracks about its number being "Satanic", as there was when MTS wanted to bring in a 666 telephone exchange (just a lot of superstitious hooey!) A real shame none were preserved.

BTW, trolley buses in Winnipeg ended October 30, 1970. At the time, Flyer was well into production of body shells for Toronto's E700A trolleys, now themselves long gone. TTC awarded Flyer the contract in fall 1969; there was a lot of political controversy in Winnipeg over "why aren't we doing t he same?"