Orion VIII

General FY Moments

I had a wonderful time at the concert with my friends Wilma and Al. Since they treated me to the concert, I sprung for (late) lunch afterward at Famoso Pizza. We each had the lunch special. I had a grapefruit ale as well. Since it had to be rung in before 1600hrs (we got there about 1545) for the till to acknowledge the special lunch price the waitress said that desserts would be on the house !!! I had also ordered a second beer and only noticed when I got home that it was also gratis. FY !!!

My city had its first annual Naruto run. Failed miserably (75% of us couldnt make it past 3 kilometers) but FY for the 75ish people who showed up.

Room mate is moving out so got a great head start on some thorough cleaning.  Got the bathroom done top to bottom and the kitchen floor scrubbed. Did the stove last night. Living room and dining room hardwood floors are polished.  Feels SO GOOD to have the place sparkling again. 

Windows are tomorrows chore.

P9030002 (2).JPG

P9030002.JPG

P9030003.JPG

P9030003.JPG

P9030002.JPG

P9030003.JPG

P9030004.JPG

• Like 1

So anyhow, still getting my place back to normal after room-mate moved out.  I noticed a couple spots on the bedroom wall where some paint has come off the drywall.  OK, not the end of the world, two spots about the size of a quarter.  I didn't feel like going to the trouble of getting a small can of paint for two spots, so I decided to just cover them.  A couple of blank address labels cut to size actually worked VERY well, but I was still not 100 % satisfied with that.  Applying the labels gave me a bright idea ... WALL DECALS! I thought some 'Hippy Flowers' would suit the room. Well, the Home Depot Gods must have read my mind.  They had 'Hippy Flower' vinyl wall decals.  I only needed a couple, of course pretty much anything these days all come in the Jumbo or Economy size (this is so you end up spending more money). So I decided to put up a few and even had some left over for my glass shower door.  FY !!!

IMG_4081.JPG

IMG_4083.JPG

IMG_4084.JPG

IMG_4085.JPG

IMG_4086.JPG

IMG_4087.JPG

• Like 1

On 9/6/2017 at 7:56 PM, dayone said:

Nice comfy place you've got. The decals add a "home sweet home" touch. Are you planning on a new roommate?

Thanks.  I do plan to acquire a new room mate in the near future.

I found a very nice deck of cards in the take it or leave it pile by the mailboxes today. The carton is a bit worn, but the cards inside are like new. The deck contains 52 cards each showcasing a different Canadian Wildlife Animal !!!

PA080008.JPG

PA080009.JPG

PA080010.JPG

• Like 1

So, turns out I was one of 10 winners in a contest (write a short story) put out by the Edmonton Rec Centers. I get to go there on Thursday after I visit mom to claim my prize pack !!! Hope there's some good swag in there !!! 

Finally got a new more 'weather-proof' bird feeder. The old one is an open style, and every time we get a windstorm, which is like very often, all the seed blows out (the birds still get it because I sweep it off the balcony and they just feast on the ground below), but in the winter that will be a more difficult task when there is snow cover.  So now I've got the seed in the new enclosed feeder, and I will keep the old one for seed blocks and such. Since we are not allowed to hang or affix things from the balcony, I have the feeders on top of a storage box and anchored down with a bungee cord so the wind doesn't topple them.

IMG_4108.JPG

IMG_4109.JPG

IMG_4110.JPG

So a while back I applied some 'Hippie Flower' wall decals to cover up a few slight wall damage / marks from a previous room mate (see post made on Sept. 05, 2017). Well today I went to Sears to see if they had anything good in housewares that they were liquidating. I totally wasn't going to buy this, but they had a comforter to match my wall decals. It was actually one of those 'sets', but the sheets and pillow cases had a bit of a different pattern, so I just put those aside as I may use them sometime in the future. But yeah, who else buys a comforter to match the walls ?!?!?! I also bought a new shower curtain, as the 'English Rose' one mom originally had in the bathroom isn't really my style.  My original aim was just to get some new sink mats for the kitchen sink.  As much as I hate shopping, I really need to stay out of the housewares department.

IMG_4113.JPG

IMG_4112.JPG

IMG_4111.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, captaintrolley said:

So a while back I applied some 'Hippie Flower' wall decals to cover up a few slight wall damage / marks from a previous room mate (see post made on Sept. 05, 2017). Well today I went to Sears to see if they had anything good in housewares that they were liquidating. I totally wasn't going to buy this, but they had a comforter to match my wall decals. It was actually one of those 'sets', but the sheets and pillow cases had a bit of a different pattern, so I just put those aside as I may use them sometime in the future. But yeah, who else buys a comforter to match the walls ?!?!?! I also bought a new shower curtain, as the 'English Rose' one mom had in the bathroom originally isn't really my style.  My original aim was just to get some new sink mats for the kitchen sink.  As much as I hate shopping, I really need to stay out of the housewares department.

IMG_4113.JPG

IMG_4112.JPG

IMG_4111.JPG

Cool, all you need now is a bong :D

My bird feeding station is now complete. I ditched the old feeder and got a feeder that actually holds seed cylinders. So now I have a 'hopper' style feeder that has an enclosure for loose seeds, and the feeder for cylinders.

IMG_4122.JPG

IMG_4123.JPG

IMG_4124.JPG

• Like 1

I got a new comforter for my bed today.  (I do like owls so I could justify this purchase).  I AM DONE at SEARS. I must stay away from home furnishings departments for a while.

IMG_4126.JPG

IMG_4125.JPG

When you put in a $20 bill into the CVM to load $10, and out comes 6 toonies (not much but more cashola = good) (CVMs can't dispense bills)

• Like 2

FY, came home today, rebooted the modem and I have Internet Connection !!! I hate how Telus wasted two hours of my time getting me to fiddle around with stuff, basically sounding like everything was my fault, then at the end the rep admits there are about 50 other people in my area affected with the same thing. Today was a TWO BEER day after swimming.  Anyhow, glad to be 'connected'. !!!

So the Telus agent the other day convinced me to switch over to Fibre Optic internet, because she says they are going to phase out the old 'copper' system and everyone will have to make the switch sooner or later.  So the Telus Tech Guy came over today. Sure took a lot of fiddling around. He had to drill holes in a shelving unit to run power to the modem and stuff. Then he had to make a trip to the utility room where all the cables run in. In all it took about two and a half hours.

Finally got internet. Took a while. Apparently the connection worked but somehow my computers soul was still hooked up to the copper network, so the tech guy was on the phone to his office for quite a while to sort things out. So yeah, it's working now.

My landline (phone) is still on the old network, but the new set up allows for switching my landline over, only the base set will have to reside in the laundry room because that's where all the hardware is.

I hope all these new contrivances work seamlessly because he didn't really explain anything to me. Of course I didn't ask anything because I only got a good look at stuff after he left.

I tried to sell him five micro-filters for the price of four but he wouldn't bite LOL.

I did get a new (free) power bar out of the deal.

IMG_4150.JPG

IMG_4152.JPG

IMG_4153.JPG

21 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

...snip... I hope all these new contrivances work seamlessly. ...snip...

I did get a new (free) power bar out of the deal.

IMG_4152.JPG

I guess that the unit in the picture is the main or base unit; I would get a rather stout battery-backup (UPS) for it. And if you use a cordless phone, plug that base into it also. My system is set up that way.

44 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I guess that the unit in the picture is the main or base unit; I would get a rather stout battery-backup (UPS) for it. And if you use a cordless phone, plug that base into it also. My system is set up that way.

The tech said I would have to plug the phone base into it if and when I decide to switch my landline to fibre optic. Does the pictured unit need a battery, or only when there is a phone plugged into it. And I have no idea what kind of battery to get or where to plug that in. I will need someone to do that for me. Sometimes I am just so useless with all this technology...

2 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

The tech said I would have to plug the phone base into it if and when I decide to switch my landline to fibre optic. Does the pictured unit need a battery, or only when there is a phone plugged into it. And I have no idea what kind of battery to get or where to plug that in. I will need someone to do that for me. Sometimes I am just so useless with all this technology...

That looks just like the old Bell setup, with your Optical Network Terminal (ONT), which connects to your modem/router, which is connected to everything else. The optical terminal would have a battery backup, but your modem typically doesn't, meaning nothing will work when the power's out anyway (except the phone). In my case, Bell supplied the battery, and it was inside that pictured unit...

Bell has since switched to the "Home Hub 3000," which is an all in one unit, with essentially a laptop battery plugged into the bottom: during a power outage, you have phone service AND "internet for up to four hours."

img_home_hub_3k.png

10 minutes ago, Resurgo said:

That looks just like the old Bell setup, with your Optical Network Terminal (ONT), which connects to your modem/router, which is connected to everything else. The optical terminal would have a battery backup, but your modem typically doesn't, meaning nothing will work when the power's out anyway (except the phone). In my case, Bell supplied the battery, and it was inside that pictured unit...

Bell has since switched to the "Home Hub 3000," which is an all in one unit, with essentially a laptop battery plugged into the bottom: during a power outage, you have phone service AND "internet for up to four hours."

So there might be a battery inside that box? What I am concerned about is the warning things on there like Cold Start, Alarm Silence, Battery Power, Replace Battery, Aux Power..  Like what if ten different bells and whistles and lights start going off then what do I do? If one of those is screaming for attention I will really be in a pickle.

15 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

So there might be a battery inside that box? What I am concerned about is the warning things on there like Cold Start, Alarm Silence, Battery Power, Replace Battery, Aux Power..  Like what if ten different bells and whistles and lights start going off then what do I do? If one of those is screaming for attention I will really be in a pickle.

Two alarms on the thing, typically: itll beep if it's running on battery power and it'll screech at you when the battery is getting low. In either case, that's why the alarm silence button is there: so you don't go crazy by hearing "beep-beep-beep-beep" every 5 seconds.

The "cold start" button is to reset it if your battery went dead, from what I could understand