General FY Moments

Orion VIII

Had a fantastic swim at Kinsmen pool today.  Monday and Wednesday were amazing too.  The water was deliciously cool and perfect for a workout. Normally the water in that particular basin is too warm and I usually end up feeling crappy. Still I think back to when the pool was closed for months on end due to covid, I am still grateful to have a pool to swim in.

I can't wait for my regular haunt to open. The manager said they are still on time for opening in October 2022.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sort of an FML / FY moment. 

I died inside when I found out last week that Rogers is going to decommission their 3G cell network by Dec. 2025.  Still three years off, but I really love my Nokia C3-00 phone and really don't need anything fancier and dread having to learn a new device all over again.

Anyhow, I bought a new phone so I will be prepared when the time comes. And I am going to need A LOT of help with it when the time comes to use it. I will probably fire it up in the autumn of 2025. I feel sorry for the unsuspecting Rogers representative when I do wander into the store with my new beast.

P2270001.JPG

• Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 1:43 PM, captaintrolley said:

Anyhow, I bought a new phone so I will be prepared when the time comes. And I am going to need A LOT of help with it when the time comes to use it. I will probably fire it up in the autumn of 2025. I feel sorry for the unsuspecting Rogers representative when I do wander into the store with my new beast.

Curiosity got the better of me and I fired up the new beast.  Surprised it had juice right away, didn't even have to charge it (yet). Anyhow, poked around in settings, set up 'dark theme', set up time zone., date, time, adjusted the touch sensitivity level, lengthened the interval that the phone shuts down (from 30 seconds to two minutes). Also added in my contacts. So yeah, pretty much good to go for 2025.  It still keeps asking me to connect to WiFi to finish setting up.. not sure what for. Maybe it will get tired of asking me and just stop it. LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Mine was a little over $900, I have since adjusted the withholding so I get about $50 more each month. I had initially increased it in case those stimulus checks became taxable; they did not, so back to "getting more each month". ?

5 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Mine was a little over $900, I have since adjusted the withholding so I get about $50 more each month. I had initially increased it in case those stimulus checks became taxable; they did not, so back to "getting more each month". ?

I just requested 15% tax be withheld from my work pension.  So hopefully that will do the trick. I had to claim Death Benefits this time, likely that put me closer to 'the edge'.

• Like 1

Had two subscriptions up for renewal that have been paid this week. Both were supposed to charge me the higher price, but instead charged me the old price for the annual subscription. To be specific, Disney Plus and PC Optimum Insiders. 

Both subscriptions did give notice that a price increase would take effect by a certain date last year effective on the next renewal. I guess their system didn't update to account for the new price which was around $119/year each. Save myself some money and maintain my services. 

Got a pole feeder set up for the bird feeders. As much as I really liked the feeders on the balcony ledge, so did the pigeons.  This way the little ones can fed and the pigeons can't gain a foothold on these. The base is too small for their big feet, and they will swing away under  their weight.

P3310003.JPG

• Like 1

So I do these online surveys, mostly for fits and giggles. I get surveys from Ekos, Leo (formerly Leger), and Maru (formerly Angus Reid).  Anyhow, today I get an email from Maru that I have been randomly selected to win their monthly draw for $100.00.  (in the form of various virtual or physical gift cards). I will opt for a physical card since I don't use virtual cards.

Thrilled that the 124 Street Farmers Market has added a THIRD location to their roster. This summer in addition to 124 Street and 108 Ave on Thursdays and 102 Ave on Sundays, they will now have a Saturday location at Manchester Square (right across from my building) starting June 04 - Oct. 08, 2022. ♥♥♥

278288344_5385968641421575_3900308048314144149_n.jpg

278468576_5385967358088370_2583140855616664271_n.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My new feeder set up has not been attracting very many birds, the odd purple finch or chickadee here and there.  Today I hear a commotion, and about six purple finches have descended onto my new feeder system and all jockeying for position on the various perches. ?

• Haha 1

Donated my 132nd pint of blood today.  It's been about 4 years since I've donated.  I was about a year overdue and just about to donate when covid hit. So, between that and being super busy with stuff after mom passed away, I just really hadn't the time or the energy. So today I am back in the game. ♥

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 10:13 PM, captaintrolley said:

Getting a small Income Tax Refund this year. Anything is better than nothing (or having to pay).

Apparently tax refunds are lower across the board this year.  The carbon tax rebate got moved out of the income refund to be distributed quarterly starting this July.  The first one was supposed to be this April but it's going to be doubled up in the July deposit.  With that being deposited separately, it's caused income tax refunds to drop for anyone who was claiming and getting the carbon tax rebate.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2022 at 6:09 PM, captaintrolley said:

So I do these online surveys, mostly for fits and giggles. I get surveys from Ekos, Leo (formerly Leger), and Maru (formerly Angus Reid).  Anyhow, today I get an email from Maru that I have been randomly selected to win their monthly draw for $100.00.  (in the form of various virtual or physical gift cards). I will opt for a physical card since I don't use virtual cards.

It was quite the procedure to exchange the Virtual card for an actual Physical card, but I got it done. They subtracted $5.00 for S&H etc, still $95.00 is not too shabby. 

ANYHOW, I've been doing these surveys for a very long time, maybe 12-15 years. You get points for doing the surveys, which can be redeemed for 'rewards'.  In the beginning they used to just send you a $50.00 cheque each time you reached 5000 points. Then after a while they switched to this virtual nonsense and I stopped redeeming my points.

Well today, after doing a survey and before logging out of the main page, I decided to check my rewards points.  I had almost 20,000. So I redeemed 5000 points for a $50.00 Virtual Visa card which I will exchange for a physical card since I think I know how to do this now.  The agent at their 1-800 number is very helpful.

Well I got my breakfast for free. So my work opened a tab at Tim Hortons where you can get free coffee and one donut according to company email. The staff at Tim's had no clue what's going on so they just let me have three donuts and my coffee for free even though I wanted to pay for my donuts. 

I told I'd pay them back next time for the extra donuts. So probably tomorrow and if they refuse, I'll drop a few bucks to the donation bin.

• Like 1

Weather related:  Eastern Ontario and Eastern Québec are projected to have storms that may produce tornados. So far, Ontario's first confirmed tornado (landspout) occurred just last week, east of Ottawa (Casselman, ON). At this rate, this looks like it's gonna be a very active season which for my hobby, is quite welcoming as 2021 was a weak storm season. As of me writing this, many parts of Eastern Québec are under a tornado watch. 

Side note: apparently Environment Canada used the alert ready system in Toronto for a severe thunderstorm warning. That is the first time I have ever seen use of the Alert Ready system for something that is meteorological, but wasn't a tornado.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a new small hopper feeder for my new Bird Feeder pole system. I hope it works out to attract more birds. My 'little ones' have pretty much all disappeared when I had to take everything down because of the immense pigeon problem here at the condo. With the pole system, the feeders hang, so they swing and the pigeons can't get a firm foothold.

P5310002.JPG

pole feeders2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...