General FY Moments

Orion VIII

Bought this Austin Air Health-Mate Junior Air Purifier. Paid for it a couple weeks ago, it came in on Monday and I finally had time to collect it today. It'll be nice when the brush fire season rears its ugly head, or when it is too cold in the winter to open the windows to get some fresh air.

https://www.austinair.ca

PA210001.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It’s a beautiful fall afternoon for some outdoor cooking:

AFD59952-6E9B-4C22-B675-38B9C3D07118.thumb.jpeg.b5454f346e1188833dd70caa82db1ee0.jpeg

I put a boneless pork shoulder in the smoker at 1:00 PM to make some delicious smoked, slow roasted pork.

9A795FD8-678C-4D3F-A5B1-71B38A6D3F9B.thumb.jpeg.4519ab16c9509193a2a272819fcd32aa.jpeg

On the falling apart $100 Kijiji gourmet cooking workstation with the rusted frame that’s been breaking piece by piece is the start of a roast butternut squash soup.  That sweet onion smells so good already!

• Like 2

4382E0C3-778A-41A0-8923-1DE674063DA1.thumb.jpeg.25444d25f3a1b0c63d5ab4c3d88ab5d0.jpeg

The outdoor thermometer has dropped down to a nice, crisp fall evening of 5 degrees.  In the living room it’s nice and cosy with the first fireplace of the season pushing back the chill.

One of the two friends who came over for dinner has headed home after falling in and out of sleep on the couch and the other is still here.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a pigeon guard for my suet nuggets. The little birds (sparrows etc) can get in, but not the pigeons. My balcony is such that it is hard to work with, but this is the best I could come up with, at least for now. Might take a while for the birds to get used to this.  The little sparrows have been sitting in the spruce tree opposite my balcony  every morning.  Normally there is an endless procession of them after the suet nuggets. 

PB230001.JPG

PB230002.JPG

PB230001.JPG

Decided I would rather fit the 'pigeon cage' OVER the railing.  But that would mean cutting slits into the sides of the cage with wire cutters. . 

I used my wire cutters and an enormous amount of sheer strength driven by determination and extreme dislike for those pigeons.

The pieces (of the cage) that were cut out I am using to seal the bottom spaces with. The first photo was my hasty rig-up.  Later on I took it down, made hinges on one end of the piece and used a velcro-like cable tie for the other end. Did this to both sides. (second photo)

Now just have to wait for the little birds to become accustomed to it and get curious enough to go in for some noms.

Photo Three .. Took down the cage / feeder to make some adjustments. Apparently with the feed tub hanging in the middle those nasty pigeons can still crane their greedy little necks in far enough to get some of the food near the top and middle.  So I put the feed tub at the back and centered it in the corner.  Easier for me to refill, and with the pillar and short vertical railing piece also in that 'corner' it will provide obstruction / obstacle against hungry craning necks.

Also a better view of the food so hopefully it will entice the sweet little birds.

Balcony ledge and railing really need scrubbing this weekend while it is still relatively pleasant outside. Maybe on Sunday. I really have a nice balcony, but difficult to work with when feeding the birds. Been here five years, but the pigeons only became a problem the last year and a half.

PB250004.JPG

PB250001.JPG

PB260001.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Put $100.00 on my prepaid phone. Good for another year. One less thing to worry about this year.

Also, I ordered two more fitted sheets from bed-online.ca earlier this week.  Got an email from them saying I am entitled to TWO FREE pillowcases with my order. A pleasant surprise. Free is good.

I requested a marbled cyan pillowcase and a marbled magenta pillowcase.  I will give the magenta one to my room-mate.

cyan-variations.webp

magenta-variations.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a day off.

I don’t have to go out in that mess.

I’m going to make some coffee and get breakfast started and maybe play around with some of the stuff I picked up on Saturday while I was en route to collecting a friend down in Windsor.

Meanwhile, the next door neighbour is melting down in his back yard about something.  Lots of F bombs getting dropped.  It’s the only swear he and his wife only know.  Someone’s got to teach the two of them how to cuss things out properly sometime.

Someone else is revving their engine and spinning their tires trying to get out of their driveway.

I eagerly await the Shree Paradkar column in the Toronto Star about how this weather is discriminatory against people who have moved here from warmer climes.

• Like 1

Roads and Sidewalks are treacherous, so my swim pal texted me to say she'd rather not take a chance today.  Although I was all dressed and ready to go out and meet her, I happily changed back into PJs for a relaxing day at home.

First thing on my agenda today was to donate some $$$ to the Edmonton Humane Society in honor / memory of Betty White, as she would have been celebrating her 100th birthday today. I also donated to WildNorth, they look after injured wildlife.

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is!  The exclusive, the one, the only CPTDB-approved use for a conservative newspaper!  Because you wouldn’t want to read all three major Toronto papers plus the CBC on a regular basis since, as one of my American friends puts it, “that’s called being educated” and we know - we know - we don’t want any bullshit like that around here.

So here we go:

383E1408-D547-439E-906A-0349467B91A9.thumb.jpeg.bd5e87a31e80e3494b7de1261f5f8b2c.jpeg

Thursday, February 17, 2017?  Guess that’s been sitting in the stack next to the fire place for…a while.  But don’t worry, it can be safely disposed of.

BC492CD3-A33D-4C03-AE37-04E14736C3AA.thumb.jpeg.4e7d7bc4fe69cdcf99a3b7ed61ce749f.jpeg

61D01F4B-958B-4952-927F-D2B611F16424.thumb.jpeg.9537d7ca7641d5121e8ccf71dba1cda2.jpeg

03EDC701-75FA-4FB1-BCCA-3BB59C69151F.thumb.jpeg.718aa347246118c4a34d572a1e7c6bec.jpeg

Up it goes!  Time to get lunch ready to go on the grill.

Edit:

6B980EFE-2158-4822-AC3A-4A43ED2BCD15.thumb.jpeg.31e1799da27235b9991ccf6c26772363.jpeg

Who knew the front page of the next section had foam all over it?  Sorry guys, it’s getting burned the next time the barbecue gets lit.

• Like 3

5187AC1C-ECCF-4035-82A3-B7FD749FD366.thumb.jpeg.d223f54242da4e5145a92ed7d4f134d5.jpeg

Oh hell yeah.

It’s a bit dusty but that’s not a problem because it’s still in the shrink wrap.

That 486SX-33 limping along like a wounded cow?  The lack of a math co-pro got you trying to remember your multiplication tables?  Not anymore!  This fixes it that problem at blazing fast 100 MHz clock speeds.

ONE HUNDRED MEGAHERTZ

An extravagant overabundance of compute resources.

Since it isn’t 1994 when there were popular right before Pentiums kicked them down to second tier status, I’m probably going to stick the retail box on display somewhere.  1994 or 2022.  What’s worse, pandemic or Ace of Base blasting everywhere?  I’m not even sure anymore.  Alright, show of hands!  Who was alive in 1994?  Who was old enough in 1994 to remember 1994?

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 7:18 PM, Wayside Observer said:

Who was alive in 1994?  Who was old enough in 1994 to remember 1994?

Oh hell yeah!

I remember December 1992! Riding into Union Station on GO Transit from Scarborough. Near Christmas with my Grand Mother. Using the underground pedway. Don't remember the specific building, but I sure remember visiting her floor of the offices of CIBC... Looking out the window an wondering: "Why the hell are trolleybuses from Edmonton down there?" At the time I honestly thought that just meant any trolleybus, in any City looked like Edmonton's BBC's. My exposure to trolley buses at this point was Edmonton and Toronto, so, I think you can forgive my assumption!

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 10:19 AM, T3G said:

plus I've got a crush on a co-worker of mine which means this is the worst possible time I could've possibly been off work.

Asked her out for coffee today... she said yes! B)

• Like 2