General FY Moments

Orion VIII

All my film handling stuff needs to dry out before I develop another roll so that’s going to wait until tomorrow night.   In the meantime since I’m downstairs I decided to get to work on something I bought a bit over two years ago.  Unlike the film, this one’s a success:

AA362C61-EE86-466B-A3E4-14D21D70688A.thumb.jpeg.885f33dd584a0ad7245246fec82e743c.jpeg

Ok, so I still need to do something about the scale behind the knob at the bottom right not tracking the movement of the knob but that’s minor compared to the other headaches I’ve had this machine.  

So, here we go, about 5 KHz sine wave going in off that function generator. It shows up pretty much right at the middle of the display which I’ve calibrated to 5 KHz.  Local oscillator feed through at the left which is normal for spectrum analyzer’s to have.  The bump at the far right edge is the second harmonic (2x the 5 KHz fundamental being pumped in) at 10 KHz, right where we would expect it to be, five divisions over at 1 KHz per division.  This machine is finally, finally working properly.

8FCA09A2-8677-44B8-A767-E6A8CBC28340.thumb.jpeg.78c26bfda879a2a1b08c37492e33be16.jpeg

Sanity check with a sine test at 1 KHz and we can see that this function generator doesn’t make a very good sine wave.  Look at all that harmonic garbage on each multiple of 1 KHz on the graticule.  This is not a very spectrally pure sine wave where ideally we’d have the LO feed through fr the analyzer at the left no matter what and a single spike at the frequency being generated and minimal garbage at the multiples of it.

Let’s continue.  There’s a foam application coming up, I promise.

028F4EE5-8657-452F-AEB0-5C15730B9F57.thumb.jpeg.3a2d9002df42109ebbbf9394e6e1e4bc.jpeg
I’ve kicked the function generator over to square wave as you can see on the controls above.

8CD807E0-AEA6-49A8-A437-EB2144A8F62A.thumb.jpeg.e3a3cd440edcc51f0d75d625591b984f.jpeg 
Here’s a closer look at what the spectrum analyzer.  The square wave isn’t the greatest either out of this generator but we can see the parts that make a square wave into a square wave.  The big spike’s at the 1 KHz fundamental I’m pumping in, right where we’d expect it to be.  Then count over every second division from it on the graticule at 3x, 5x in the centre, 7x, 9x, all the odd order harmonics of that square wave have significant spikes of energy even though they generally do decrease as you go up in frequency.  There shouldn’t be any bumps on the even order harmonics ideally but this isn’t the best square wave. The odd order spikes are the Fourier components of the square wave but let’s skip the nasty math and get to the foam application:

What waveform does a chopper control produce?  Square wave!  Why did CLRV and H5 choppers have such a harsh grating sound?  It’s all that nasty sounding harmonic content in that square wave.  Odd order harmonic content sounds bad but even order harmonic content is much less objectionable but that’s not what a square wave contains.  And that’s why loud chopper control buzzing is so annoying.

Should I give the GEEZERS at HCRR a homework assignment?

I’m still totally getting kicked off Steve Munro’s blog for this complicated electronics that you just can’t do business.

FY, a real genuine rainy day today.  Like, all day rain, soft, gentle straight down rain. A good soaker. I ran some errands today and then spent almost an hour sitting on the picnic table bench in our courtyard, soaking up those glorious drops of rain.  Feels SO GOOD.

Most of the time we just get 20-30 minute spates of rain and then the sun comes blazing out. Today's rain is good for the earth, and good for the soil.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benton Harper said:

Nice big fluffy snow flakes in Edmonton right now 

Anything can happen around May long weekend.  We really need the moisture right now. Hopefully we will get enough periodic moisture the next few months so that we will not have a 'Fire Season'.

scrap.thumb.jpg.380e586a25cbd57f654507d7b9932472.jpg

One of my friends asked me if I could store some of his barbecue gear in my back yard a couple of years ago.  One of them got taken back.  The rest are still here.  Or were still here.  I decided I'm not warehousing scrap metal at my place anymore and that's all these were considering how badly rusted out or missing parts they were.

I asked if he wanted the round smoker back.  No.  Missing parts.  Why keep it at all in the first pace?  The bottom of the large barbecue was practically gone so much of it had rusted out.  I wore gloves while handling that one because it was a total tetanus shot express.  I had to disassemble the stand it was on because the whole thing intact wouldn't fit in the back of the truck no matter which way I arranged things.  That's when I discovered that barbecues are apparently built with metric hardware now.  It was all 11mm nuts and bolts.  Anyways, it's all gone now.  All of it went into a charity scrap metal drive bin.  Good riddance.

There is one last barbecue being stored at my place now.  It's owner really needs to take it away and use it before it rusts out otherwise it's going to become worthless scrap too.  The bottom's already getting pretty thin and as soon as it rusts through, I'm taking a picture and sending a text, then that socket set and red tool box are coming out of the back of my truck again and it'll be another disassembly and disposal trip.

16 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

One of my friends asked me if I could store some of his barbecue gear in my back yard a couple of years ago.  One of them got taken back.  The rest are still here.  Or were still here.  I decided I'm not warehousing scrap metal at my place anymore and that's all these were considering how badly rusted out or missing parts they were.

This is why I haven't offered any of my friends storage space in my garage despite some hints they're looking for somewhere to store stuff during apartment changes or whatever. If it was legit only going to be some boxes or whatever sitting in the unused half for a couple months and then they took them away that'd be one thing. I know darn well with a couple of them it'd turn into 6 months, then a year, etc. At the end of the day it's my garage, not Acorn mini storage, and I like having extra open space when I back the car in or am pulling out the mower or yard stuff.

The first couple of hot days the air conditioning ran flat out, was pretty mediocre, and ran the kWh usage up pretty bad.  Today the AC would run for a couple of minutes and then the compressor would cut out.  Send a text message asking one of my college friends who went into HVAC professionally if he could swing by with the truck whenever it’s convenient.

Then I started checking it out for the simple stupid stuff like did the compressor unit get bashed up by something to cause a leak for all the refrigerant to escape.  I know nothing hit the lines in the house and it was getting hot and I’m on nights and I didn’t really want to set up a camping cot in the basement to get through today until it cools off again.  I didn’t see any physical damage per-we but I did see this:

E00A44E4-572B-4A8C-9077-3562EB1FD118.thumb.jpeg.4b676ee9509c650e187bf57623e57a64.jpeg

The thing sucked in a ton of crap into the coils.  The whole thing was clogged up.  That’s do it.  If it can’t shed heat to the outside and condense the refrigerant, that’ll make it trip out.  I’ve never seen that machine get clogged up that bad ever before.

Garden hose time.  The amount of dirty water that poured out while I was spraying out the coils was impressive.  I did it from outside the machine because I was tired and I didn’t feel like taking it apart.  Anyways that sorted it out and it’s been running and cycling properly and kept the house cool while I tried to get my crappy sleep during the day for the rest of the day done.  That’s a major FY for not having to try to sleep through the heat.

We’re still going to get together and slap the gauges on the central air and check it over one evening soon after I finish this shift rotation and then relax by the fire pit with coffee and snacks. HVAC’s an essential service so Doug Ford and Trudeau can shove it.

• Like 1

Got a new name tag for my cat yesterday (Thursday), prior to this he would wear the purple tag which belonged to our first cat (she passed away in 2008). The new tag looks good on him with the color closely matching his fur. And the color combination of the orange tag & brown collar also reminds me of the H6/R46 color scheme (also why I took the first picture on the faux-woodgrain surface of our piano :))

20210603_155454.jpg

20210603_160113 .jpg

• Like 2

A bit of a panic early this morning as I had put a load of clothes in the washer, and when I went to switch the load to the dryer I opened the lid to find the washer had stalled in the agitation cycle and was still filled to the brim with sudsy water. Tried twirling the knob and no luck. Then I got the model number off it and ran a search online for the issue. After skimming over a discussion thread on the model from 2002 (yeah this thing is a tried and true workhorse) I checked the lid latch pocket. Bingo! Sure enough the flap that triggers the safety switch had just gotten stuck open from a buildup of dust and suds spray. so after giving it a few taps it was back in function and 30 minutes later the clothes were done and going in the dryer! Was afraid I would either be manually draining and trying to repair the machine today or going shopping for a new one, both of which I really didn't want to be doing.

My esthetician expanded her business to include manicures and pedicures.  I haven't had a pedicure since about 2013 - 2014. I was living in Van at the time and a neighbor in my building and I made a day of it (coffee, pedicure, lunch etc). 

Anyhow, I got a lovely pedicure today. My old feet and nails really needed attention.  I was their first 'pedi' customer, so I got a deal too. ?

Also, the bus stop NB on 124 Street and 107 Avenue which I thought (cue panic) was going to be closed due to restaurant sidewalk patio construction has been repositioned, so it is still possible to catch the bus there. ?

So I checked the pool lane booking website and the Competition Pool had tons of availability, so I booked my friend and myself for two half hour sessions on June 14, 16, 18, 21, 23 & 25. The only problem is that I now require the 'easy entry stairs' to exit the pool, and the stairs can only be lowered into the shallower 'Training Pool'.  I figured once I have a 'spot' it will be possible to trade places with someone swimming in the Training Pool.

Also, the pharmacy across from me is now doing 'mixed vaccines' so they will call me when they get more supply and I can make an appointment.

Also, also, bought a Lotto Max for tonight's draw.

Spent a lovely morning with my son. Took him to the barber shop to get that 'caveman' beard trimmed. He's growing his hair out, but got that tidied up a bit at the back and around the ears.

Then we had breakfast at Tiramisu Bistro before heading over to my bank to take care of some business. 

I seriously don't see him often enough, so this was a real treat for me.

• Like 1