General FY Moments

Orion VIII

Bought winter tires for the first time. Just in time too, Calgary has already gotten its first snowfall and the roads are icy. I wasn't planning on getting winter tires but since I decided to work two jobs that require uphill and downhill travel, I am not taking any chances. 

• Like 3

Finally got my travel credit rebated after a month since my travel date. Especially since it was either use it or lose it (PC Insiders which is now PC Optimum Insiders). It has since changed from an annual $99 travel credit to 5 percent back in points before taxes.

On 10/23/2020 at 10:24 AM, PCC Guy said:

Just paid off my student loans after 4 years ?

Very nice. Especially how it can be a challenge paying them off with the high balance along with the interest rate.

I remember the days that applying for assistance related to student loans such as interest relief were a challenge having to request a form. Where as today, it can be applied for online and programs such as repayment assistance program or RAP for short to help borrowers having difficulties making payments on their loans. This is along with the six month grace period that started in March 2020 for 6 months. 

Even though the Toronto Christmas Market has been cancelled, they are still going to have a winter village with Christmas lights and a tree. Couldn't be more excited, I'm glad I'll have something of significant visual interest to photograph. Haven't been down there since I did a news shoot for school back at the end of 2017. Hopefully it will be warmer than it was then.

• Like 2

Literally was looking around Beauty Boutique online and the Nintendo Switch Animal Crossing Edition was available online. I could try a local Shoppers Drug Mart, but 99 percent would most likely be cleared out by now. Especially with bonus redemption going on currently.

Well, the console online will be cleared out as well since it is a limited run once people see. Considering that people are using their points to buy the console and I don't think it will be very likely to be restocked. Noting that the other retailers have a huge abundance of stock on-hand. Difference with Shoppers Drug Mart is they allow earning of points and redemptions on consoles which in my case, redeemed for most of the cost and only paid the taxes and the $9.99.

My friends literally say "it is interesting that you could buy a console with your points at Shoppers Drug Mart." I mean, it isn't for everyone considering that you have to know the specific stores that carry such products. Not every location will carry them noting there are 1,350 of them.

I ended up getting a couple of swim lanes for Monday Nov 16.  Originally I had lucked out (because the website that we have to use to book swim lanes sux big time).  I kept checking because sometimes they will add lanes to their availability.  I had been checking randomly the last few days, and all the lanes were still marked as full. However, got bored tonight and thought I would check (even though I had given up hope) and lo and behold ... tons of available lanes. And the website worked like a charm and even got my confirmation emails in a matter of minutes (instead of hours). 

• Like 1

Ended up emptying my rented locker at the pool I normally swam at regularly pre-covid. The pool has been closed since mid-March, but the manager was there today so I could collect my things. Kind of a sad experience to 'move out' but when things go back to 'somewhat normal' and the pool reopens, I can 'move back in'. Might be in a year or so. Anyhow, it's great to have my better suit and deck shoes rather than the old ones I've been using.

• Like 1

After two months of emailing and phoning 3-1-1 to get a bus stop moved (it was right in front of a driveway) it finally got moved.

They kept telling me there was no problem there, that the stop was well before the driveway. Turns out they were looking at the stop on Google Maps which was showing an image at least two years old.

I finally took a photo and sent it to them. I have yet to have a good experience with 3-1-1.

• Sad 1

For the first time in a long, long, as in quite a few years, I shot 35mm slides a couple weeks ago.   I also found a seriously old roll of slides that needed to be processed so I took them in about 10 days ago and got them back today.  The old film might’ve gotten a bit fogged sitting around before being developed but we’ll see:

7EAF9334-7EAA-4116-88DB-A58BFB226422.thumb.jpeg.2c99f573ca96d27a5fa11009a7e4daf3.jpeg

Right now I’m flipping through them to see what I got.  This is such a non-digital, non-instant process.

9648D7C7-6249-4018-894B-F7FCAA519FF8.thumb.jpeg.64f3466929006e13953a37341e4f5fe3.jpeg

5773D45B-164C-48F0-9A4F-A056DCAE3458.thumb.jpeg.8ece5a5a4414a41a292c6623d021aa6b.jpeg

5773D45B-164C-48F0-9A4F-A056DCAE3458.thumb.jpeg.8ece5a5a4414a41a292c6623d021aa6b.jpeg

That’s a crappy way of getting images.  Maybe I’ll scan a few for real when I get home.

4C24EEE5-3E6E-4D54-897B-5070F727F0E4.jpeg

• Like 1

For the first time ever I went out Black Friday shopping yesterday and scored myself a gaming chair for just little over $100 instead of $200 with discounts and etc. I've been using an a cheap office chair for the five years that's now been stripped of its leather. Not the most comfortable thing but certainly happy with the upgrade. Just as a note, I did buy this from the grocery store I work at. I am not willing to go out otherwise to the mall especially during a pandemic. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Greatcoinz said:

For the first time ever I went out Black Friday shopping yesterday  ...snip...

Same here (well, the second time) as I needed some groceries from Walmart. I got there about fifteen minutes before seven (they open at seven). I noticed a few more cars in the parking lot than usual for that time of Friday morning but not too many more. Anyway, as I looked over at the entrance, I saw the sliding doors working in automatic mode??? It is not seven yet! So I go over and find out that the store opened early; at 0500!!!! Oddly, there were fewer customers in then than normally at seven on Friday morning. I got all that I needed including a replacement electric blanket (now called a heated blanket ?) as mine has developed a non-safety related problem and I decide to replace it now and czech it out later.

3 hours ago, Greatcoinz said:

I've been using an a cheap office chair for the five years that's now been stripped of its leather.

Similar story here!  My office chair I bought at Staples for like $70 on clearance like 4 years ago now... and now the darn thing had lost its cushion and all I can feel is the hard piece of plywood underneath (although not suprising for a chair of that price!)

I refused to even attempt going Black Friday shopping at all because of current world events.  Not even a day later and I see videos taken at places such as Chinook Centre, which was an absolute shit show with wayyy too many people gathering around. Some were not even wearing their bloody masks properly!

42 minutes ago, TechSpotlight said:

Some were not even wearing their bloody masks properly!

There's a lot of that everywhere. They  strut around showing off that they are indeed *wearing* a mask... it seems 'properly' doesn't even enter into the equation. Always the same types of people too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

There's a lot of that everywhere. They  strut around showing off that they are indeed *wearing* a mask... it seems 'properly' doesn't even enter into the equation. Always the same types of people too.

Calgary had a huge protest against masks and restrictions. If people understood that once if we just lockdown, suck up to the masks bylaw and social distancing and not have gatherings, the numbers would go down eventually. 

At work, we are ordered to mask up even in the cafeteria. There's this one guy at work who's anti-mask and etc. He says its flu, conspiracy and etc and will never shut up about it even we tell him that no one cares. He even hosted an anti-mask rally in one of the towns outside of Calgary. Since there is no plan at work if there are positive cases, it annoys us. But we came to this conclusion, if we are forced to isolate and not come to work due to positive cases, its all because of him. 

(Yes getting off topic, I'll continue this in the Covid-19 thread) 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 8:03 PM, Greatcoinz said:

...snip... I've been using an a cheap office chair ...snip...

Both of my office chairs were dumpster-bound rejects from work. I said that I would take them to the bus garage for the mechanics to use. Over a period of time, somehow I forgot to drop two of them off (both with arms, btw). ?

• Like 1